Do you ever just get tired of thinking about calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said they feel more free now. When I was gaining and not counting, I felt guilty about food all the time. I knew I was over eating. Now I can plan for my dessert and enjoy it.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for 5ish years and haven't counted calories in that time. I stay very active, pay attention to how I feel and how clothes fit. I eat cheeseburgers and cupcakes when I want.....I just don't have four cupcakes or the triple cheeseburger! I don't think about calories, I'm in the habit of having well rounded meals, I plan and prep meals ahead for time management sake, not calorie sake. We don't eat out much, I don't buy chips or soda, don't really crave them ever anyway. I would be miserable not having what I wanted or avoiding time with my friends because there might be food. I'd say bump up your workouts so you can fit more in, you'll get other benefits as well from it.
  • jez_4ever
    jez_4ever Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There are ways to control one's weight without weighing everything or counting calories. Some people love to weight stuff and they feel like counting calories gives them control, but if you really hate it, find a method that you like.

Got to comment on this - I don't think it's possible to lose weight without thinking about calories. I think it's what OP meant... not necessarily the counting, but the fact that, well, you're very aware of how many calories are in things and that you just can't eat too many brownies or too much ice cream or you will gain weight. And that has nothing to do with calorie counting.

Heck, I'd argue that if anything, if you don't count calories, it's even harder not to think about the calories in the brownie you really want to eat, as you have no way to know if it actually fits in your day or if it's going to set you back. I'd guess that people who don't count calories eat less sweets than I do.

My opinon only, but I don't think this above ^^ is true for everyone. I have never counted calories (not saying thats always a good thing though - I could've probably saved myself a lot of weight gain had I done so). However, I lost 17 without counting calories once. I just eat clean breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and mix in 3 protein shakes or bars throughout the day. I am never too hungry and eating clean makes me feel better and actually helps me NOT crave unhealthy foods.

I know this site is all about it, but I use it for tracking other things/results. To each there own though. If counting calories is what you need to do to stay consistent and accountable - then by all means do it!
  • kalislim
    kalislim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I usually like to read the success stories and I have not read yet that they've deprived themselves. You can still lose weight and have a yummy pancake breakfast or a late night ice cream. It's about balance. You want to be able to enjoy your food as a part of your lifestyle, its not a life sentence of deprivation.

Good Luck and hang in there.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    jez_4ever wrote: »
    There are ways to control one's weight without weighing everything or counting calories. Some people love to weight stuff and they feel like counting calories gives them control, but if you really hate it, find a method that you like.

Got to comment on this - I don't think it's possible to lose weight without thinking about calories. I think it's what OP meant... not necessarily the counting, but the fact that, well, you're very aware of how many calories are in things and that you just can't eat too many brownies or too much ice cream or you will gain weight. And that has nothing to do with calorie counting.

Heck, I'd argue that if anything, if you don't count calories, it's even harder not to think about the calories in the brownie you really want to eat, as you have no way to know if it actually fits in your day or if it's going to set you back. I'd guess that people who don't count calories eat less sweets than I do.

My opinon only, but I don't think this above ^^ is true for everyone. I have never counted calories (not saying thats always a good thing though - I could've probably saved myself a lot of weight gain had I done so). However, I lost 17 without counting calories once. I just eat clean breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and mix in 3 protein shakes or bars throughout the day. I am never too hungry and eating clean makes me feel better and actually helps me NOT crave unhealthy foods.

I know this site is all about it, but I use it for tracking other things/results. To each there own though. If counting calories is what you need to do to stay consistent and accountable - then by all means do it!

I think the point though was that you are thinking about calories just based on the foods you choose to eat. Maybe not specifically "X vegetable has 30 cals per serving so i'll eat that instead" but more just along the lines of "X = healthy because it's lower calorie and nutritious" even if that is completely subconscious.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes, I get tired of it a lot. But now that I know, I can't un-know. Even on those days that I ignore calories, they're always still nagging at the back of my mind.

It's like.. eating will never just be easy again. I mean there are techniques to use to make it easier than full blown counting. But it's never going to be as easy as before I knew better.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    grubb1019 wrote: »
    I got tired of it and I gained about 25 lbs back. I will never not count calories again. Yes, it is a pain in the rear, but the disappointment of gaining all that back and the crappy way you feel when you do is not worth giving up.

This. You either think about calories and lose weight or think about what to wear when your clothes don't fit.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    tammylee57 wrote: »
    I've had a hard day. I'm usually ok about the counting and the avoiding the sweets or snacks. For past few days i have found myself resenting fact that I can't just eat what I want. That my husband can eat cupcakes and ice cream every night ... And that I get an orange. That I want fudge and brownies ... And am starting to avoid social situations because of the whole "food" issue... What will be there , will I be hungry... Will I want all the good tailgate food etc. Just venting

@tammylee57 I think most of us know what you are talking about. Once I learned why I needed to count calories and addressed that then it was life changing health wise in my case. Best of success.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    jez_4ever wrote: »

You've lost because you eat 'clean', whatever that means, but I'm guessing it doesn't include what the OP is talking about (chips, brownies, etc). Just the fact that people claim to eat 'clean' pretty much implies that they are mindful of calories too.

Again, OP wasn't talking about counting calories, but thinking about calories. You're talking about 'unhealthy' foods. Same thing. It's high calorie stuff we pretty much have to limit when we are mindful of our weight, and from what I hear, it's what OP is getting tired of (not being able to eat what she wants).
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    tammylee57 wrote: »
    I've had a hard day. I'm usually ok about the counting and the avoiding the sweets or snacks. For past few days i have found myself resenting fact that I can't just eat what I want. That my husband can eat cupcakes and ice cream every night ... And that I get an orange. That I want fudge and brownies ... And am starting to avoid social situations because of the whole "food" issue... What will be there , will I be hungry... Will I want all the good tailgate food etc. Just venting

Do whatever you want as long as you're willing to live with results. I've given up unhealthy processed foods for smarter choices. The "I want to do whatever I want to do" attitude is what got most of us in trouble to begin with.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I find it a relief not to have to track and count, for instance, if I travel where I don't have consistent internet, or have a couple busy days of workshops, teaching, and catered meals. However, after about 2 years of counting, I do have a constant awareness of what's in my food and what are reasonable portion sizes and am making better choices. I think that if you have any issues with weight, that awareness and vigilance must always be there, even if you're not counting.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes. I just take regular breaks.
  • sunshinenixon4412
    Options
    grubb1019 wrote: »
    I got tired of it and I gained about 25 lbs back. I will never not count calories again. Yes, it is a pain in the rear, but the disappointment of gaining all that back and the crappy way you feel when you do is not worth giving up.

I have to agree wholeheartedly. I lost 7st had a baby (found 3st), lost 1 and found 5lb. Its killing me at min but I think (hope) Ive found that turning point.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I think of it more in terms of tracking what's important. You keep track of everything else important in your life, monitoring your health is just another data set. Once you get used to this it becomes habitual, so you become a little lenient, but if you start to get back into your bad habits, just tighten up on the logging and get back on the right track.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know about you all anyway, but even if I stopped tracking now, I'd still be thinking about calories. There's just no way around it anymore.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know about you all anyway, but even if I stopped tracking now, I'd still be thinking about calories. There's just no way around it anymore.

Yep, that's the way it is for me now :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I look at it like a budget. I mean I could splurge on the most expensive home theatre, but then I would be left with nothing for other more important stuff. If I want said home theater, there is nothing wrong with "saving" a few hundreds here and there until I come up with the needed money and enjoy my home theater guilt-free.

Sometimes having something extra is worth the exercise effort or trimming off other meals to make them lighter, other times it's not.

Sometimes a few squares of chocolate are a good replacement for an orange, other times they aren't.

Sometimes it's worth skipping breakfast or having a light lunch in order to have a substantial dinner, other times it isn't.

It's really just a balancing act of what you deem worth it. It really doesn't mean cutting out all the things you love... it only means that you need to use your judgement on how much of them is worth it and how often.

As for calories, with time it will become a second nature. Even when you aren't specifically counting you will be sizing up meals by mental estimates.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So don't do the whole food diet every day, or just make your own "clean" brownie (http://amyshealthybaking.com/blog/2015/02/04/clean-fudgy-dark-chocolate-frosted-brownies/). There's nothing wrong with the occasional brownie while trying to lose weight as long as it fits into your calories.

I knew that I could never cut favorite foods AND calories at the same time so I work treats into my daily allowance and I've lost at least 25 pounds (41 total, don't know the number of when I started counting) doing that.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    caci88 wrote: »
    I know it's hard - if necessary have a few days off calorie counting and just eat real food - nothing from a packet. You can eat however much you want (be prepared to not lose any weight) but as long as you're paying attention to your appetite you should really just maintain. Then pick it up again in a few days!! x

If I did that, I'd gain. It's very easy to go over calories on things like fruit, nuts and meat.

Well yeah, because calorie by calorie a pack of nuts is worth what...6 apples?
    Easy to eat a pack of nuts but I think most people would feel a bit sick after 6 apples (There's actually an apple diet and most people can't see apples after it).

I think the Op's issue is that she FEELS she is restricting herself. You need to remember this is your CHOICE. Sometimes we need to break the cycle and enjoy life a bit - if you're in maintenance there's even more reason to do so. I waited until I went into maintenance and started enjoying food again - I just have less of it.

We had a party at work today after completing exams = most people were gorging on shortbread and sweets but I made a decision to have ONE shortbread for the day. Three little chocolate balls - that way you don't feel deprived, you can still enjoy it but just in moderation :)
    When I really feel like having more of a treat, I make sure I have lighter food throughout the day and a workout so it works as a gratifying gesture. No one wants to live on a diet forever, you know?!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sure, I think almost all of us get tired of thinking about calories from time to time. Losing weight takes significant thought and mental energy.
    Having said that, one of the things I decided early on in this process was that I wasn't going to give up foods I like, and I wasn't going to force myself to eat things I didn't like, in order to lose weight. So, I eat cake, cupcakes, brownies, chips, pizza, etc. I just figure out how to fit it in my calorie allowance.