2 Questions really lol

Options
1. Does Green Tea really help with weight loss ?

2. Is the "Honey Wheat" bread ok to use if you wanna avoid white bread ? (or maybe use the white wheat bread ?)

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    1. Possibly, if you drink more than 20 cups of it per day. But green tea does provide a lot of antioxidants and catechins, so there may be some health benefit to drinking it if you enjoy it.

2. If you're going to eat bread, make sure that the first ingredient is a whole grain. Believe it or not, many whole wheat breads have very little whole wheat in them. Watch the sugars and sodium in breads, and look for one with a good amount of fiber.
  • Diesel9a1
    Diesel9a1 Posts: 3
    Options
    1 - they say it does.

2 - just avoid bread and look for alternative meals - a tupperware box of appropriate size (smaller than your normal lunch box) filled with salad and whatever else you are eating.
  • Diesel9a1
    Diesel9a1 Posts: 3
    Options
    1 - they say it does.

2 - just avoid bread and look for alternative meals - a tupperware box of appropriate size (smaller than your normal lunch box) filled with salad and whatever else you are eating.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    1. nope-- but it does have the anitoxidants
    2. doubt it, most just have some wheat flour to make them look good. Try a health food mart- organic store or make your own--really simple with a bread maker.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The pepperidge farm line has some great choice for breads. Look for the ones that say 100% Whole Grains
  • SarahAlt
    SarahAlt Posts: 44
    Options
    Atlantique has the right idea. Make sure the packaging on the bread is "whole grain" and not "whole wheat". I get Nature's Own Whole Grain Sugar Free Bread. Two slices is 100 calories.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    1. Possibly, if you drink more than 20 cups of it per day. But green tea does provide a lot of antioxidants and catechins, so there may be some health benefit to drinking it if you enjoy it.

2. If you're going to eat bread, make sure that the first ingredient is a whole grain. Believe it or not, many whole wheat breads have very little whole wheat in them. Watch the sugars and sodium in breads, and look for one with a good amount of fiber.
    What he said :happy: As an aside, I notice when I stick to my green tea vs coffee in the morning routine (not doing so hot lately), my muscles don't get as sore as easily and I don't retain water as easily. Probably has something to do with the antioxidants... so it won't directly help with weight loss, but those two things indirectly help overall!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    1. Does Green Tea really help with weight loss ?

2. Is the "Honey Wheat" bread ok to use if you wanna avoid white bread ? (or maybe use the white wheat bread ?)

1 - can't help you here. I dont drink tea.

2 - I eat the Natures Own Whitewheat. I refuse to give up bread, or anything else for that matter... Im here to be happy and healthy. :drinker:
  • gagejennifer
    Options
    Thank you everyone !. I am having a hard time giving up bread. LOL. But my mom keeps saying "Cut out bread altogether, and the 'white stuff' and you'll lose more weight that way". I dunno. LOL. With everything you hear it is hard to tell what's fact and whats "opinion/fiction" with the way researchers/doctors keep changing their opinions these days. LOL.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    1. The antioxidants help the body perform its functions better, but aren't linked to weight loss. The caffeine in it does have a thermogenic effect and can cause you to burn more calories, if you aren't already use to consuming large amounts of caffeine that is because it really has very little caffeine in comparison to coffee or sodas. If you switch from high calorie drinks to a low calorie green tea, though, you will also cut calories which may help with weight loss.

2. It depends on the bread. Most of your brown breads aren't whole wheat. They have a caramel color added to make them appear healthier then white bread. Check your label and look for Whole Wheat in the ingredients list. If whole wheat isn't in the ingredients list then it isn't any healthier then plain old white bread. As for cutting out bread, that is only necessary if you have a specific biological reason to cut out bread like a gluten allergy or intolerance or blood sugar issues that cause you to have physical problems when you consume breads. Some people with IBS have to cut out fiber too in order to lessen their symptoms so they should actually consume white bread instead of whole wheat. It is really dependent on the individual and their specific needs. I don't recommend to my clients to cut out anything they enjoy in their diet unless they have a medical need to cut something out. I don't focus on the scale with my clients either. I focus on healthy eating that can be maintained for a lifetime. This prevents feelings of failure when they splurge and leads to long term, maintainable, healthy weights. If you enjoy bread and don't have any medical reason to cut it out of your meals, then enjoy it. Just try to get as much nutrition from it as possible when you eat it.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone !. I am having a hard time giving up bread. LOL. But my mom keeps saying "Cut out bread altogether, and the 'white stuff' and you'll lose more weight that way". I dunno. LOL. With everything you hear it is hard to tell what's fact and whats "opinion/fiction" with the way researchers/doctors keep changing their opinions these days. LOL.

Everyone is different. I feel better without wheat altho sourdough is fine. But I can't eat a lot or it slows down my weight loss. But rice is fine. Experiment with it and see if it affects you. The important thing is to know your body and what works for you.