Any one have some good okra recipes?

Options
ariesfireangel
ariesfireangel Posts: 30 Member
My aunt came up for a visit last weekend and brought me up a big grocery bag full of fresh okra from her garden and I would like to make something healthier then just tried okra with it.

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Cajun Inspired Soup
    Servings | 12 about 6 oz each
    Course | Soups

Ingredients

1/8 cup Tony Chachere's dry Roux Mix
    1 leaf bay leaf
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 cup celery, sliced
    1 clove garlic clove(s)
    16 oz frozen okra
    1 cup onion(s), chopped
    1 cup scallion(s)
    1 cup parsley
    1 bell pepper(s), chopped
    15 oz canned tomatoes
    1/2 tsp dried thyme, or 1 tsp fresh
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 Tbsp liquid smoke
    1 tsp Cajun seasoning
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    4 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth

Instructions

Chop vegetables the same size as okra about 3/4 inch dice. Spray a soup pot with olive oil cooking spray. Saute onion, green pepper, and celery until onion starts to turn translucent. Sprinkle roux over veggies and stir in well. Add all other ingredients except parsley. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Add parsley in last few minutes of cooking time.

This was inspired by the many gumbos my family has made. It is spicy so adjust the pepper to your taste. You can add chicken, crab, shrimp, sausage, and/or rice.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Smothered Okra
    Serves 6

Ingredients

1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 medium large onion, diced
    3 ribs of celery, sliced
    1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
    4 lbs. okra, sliced
    1 large tomato, diced
    Kosher salt, black pepper and Creole seasoning to taste
    Parsley, chopped (optional)
    Green onions, chopped (optional)
    Prepared white rice (optional)

Directions

Brown ground beef in a dutch oven. Add onion, celery and bell pepper, cook until onion in translucent and begins to soften. Season with salt, pepper and creole seasoning. Add okra and tomatoes, continue to cook until okra is soft. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Add parsley and green onions continues to cook about one minute. Serve over rice.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've only had it once, as a challenge. I live north of Montana so it's an exotic here. This is the recipe I used.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/10-best-okra-recipes/classic-okra-recipe-peppery-grilled-okra-with-lemon-basil-sauce

The use of the word "best" in the title made me optimistic. The dipping sauce was fantastic and I used it a few more times that week.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    My mom always puts it in beef stew and turkey and barley soup. I don't care for okra but it was a good flavour adder for stew.
  • Cidalia_LC
    Cidalia_LC Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I add it (sliced) when I make butter chicken. I like to add veggies to the sauce, and okra is one of my faves.
  • PixiePerry
    PixiePerry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    In the South, we boil it or steam it, and add a little butter with flavorless protein powder. Or fry it (without any flour or cornmeal) to keep carbs at a minimal, and lightly season with salt and flavorless protein powder.