Want suggestions and add friends who overcame plateaus

Options
Hi I'm Laura, my journey started about a year ago. I've lost 65 lbs. I struggle with plateaus. They last at least a month. It seems I have to do something uncomfortable each time to break through it, like cut out sugar or change my workout routines. Sounds reasonable but it's frustrating each time. I still have like another 50lbs to go. Any suggestions?

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Do you have a "whoosh" at the end of your plateau? Maybe give a better description about what is happening.
  • LaLo314
    LaLo314 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose a steady pound per week watching my calories and working out an hour 4 times a week, plus I walk an average of 9,000 steps a day. Then every two months the weight loss stops. This past month, I had to switch from hiking to swimming for an hour and decreasing carbs to break it. The scale finally moved after a month and I'm back to losing a pound to two a week. I'm just wondering how can I prevent plateaus or how can I move past them sooner? I know in a couple of months I will experience this again.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Let me make sure I understand: You go for a month without a loss, then in a few days, you lose around 4-8 lbs.?
  • LaLo314
    Options
    Lol I wish... I go a month without weight loss and then I lose one pound, maybe two per week again.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    These are not plateaus. Plateaus happen when you are eating at a deficit, but do not actually drop the weight. With a real plateau, you will eventually have a "whoosh" where you will lose the weight all at once. After the whoosh, you will return to either a consistent loss or another plateau.

Try reducing calories by 250 per day when you see that happen. After a week with no loss, reduce by 250 per day again. After another week, if you are still not losing, reduce by 250 calories per day again.
  • LaLo314
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate that