Girls.. A little help? Do you experience this?

Options
Before after and durring my monthly gift Im extremely bloated and I can get a lot of water gain. It also takes me awhile to get rid of it. Sometimes a full week. Is this normal?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal!
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    yeah, that's my story too. I try to eat low sodium stuff in that peiod and drik tons of water.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week and it does affect me. I also feel like s**t for the week Aunty Flo is visiting - bloated, unmotivated, crampy. But the only saving grace is that it all tapers off when I exercise, so sometimes just to relieve the crampy, bloaty feeling I'll go for a walk.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You need to drink extra water during these times. And try to cut your sodium a bit as well. It should help. And I love my pamprin!!!
  • blacktallon
    Options
    Thanks! I was concerned because it does not always go away quickly for me. :) I will definitely try the things suggested as well.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    It is normal, but I found when I upped my already hefty water consumption, it got a lot better. I drink 6-8 20 oz bottles of water a day normally, around TOM I up it to 10+ bottles. I'm lucky that I love water, but even when I don't feel like drinking it, my motivation is to avoid weight gain that wasn't accompanied by the enjoyment of a bacon cheeseburger. :sad:
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    totally normal. It sucks but its normal!

By the way.. I've always found it funny when its referred to as the monthly "gift". To me, diamonds each month are a gift.. but cramps, bloating, irritability and everything else that comes with "that" each month..... NOT a gift in my books! LOL

ah.. the joys of being a girl! Hope you feel better soon!
  • gemfox
    gemfox Posts: 107
    Options
    totally normal!!! I get crazy crazy bloated at TOM. never fun!
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yes, completely normal. I feel bloated and always weigh more around TOM.. & my cravings for chocolate and salty foods are in high gear!! :grumble: :ohwell:
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    completely normal. My tom was a couple of weeks ago, the beginning of that week I gained a few pounds, by the end of the week I was down those few pounds and then the next week I lost 5 lbs lol
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Did someone say "bacon cheeseburger?" MMMMM!

Anyway, this is totally normal. Sometimes the water weight doesn't go away as soon as TOM leaves. I have never been a big water drinker, but find that as I have been drinking more, and it's helping. I think tracking your body weight patterns helps as well -- you will know when to not to panic. I have a spreadsheet that I have been tracking my weekly progress on, and I have the TOM weeks marked in pink. I have found that I either gain or maintain during the week of TOM, lose maybe 1/2 pound the week after TOM, then 1.5 - 2 the following week. Now that I know that pattern, I don't panic. Oh, and my body plateaus every 9 pounds.
  • shanners85
    shanners85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yep, it happens to me. When I'm about to get my period, I try to stay away from food that will make me bloated (ie. salty foods). It's not always successful as that it what I crave when I get my period, LOL.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Yup...it happens :grumble: And BTW - whoever coined the term "have a happy period" seriously needs to be shot!! :explode:
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    yep this happens to me...i make sure to exercise during this time...if i don't exercise i find i bloat and gain about 4-5lbs...if i exercise then i don't see a gain at all...weird!

btw dawnw30...i can't agree more...that slogan really must have been thought up by an idiotic man!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i usually get a little bloated but i've learned that if i cut out the soda, which sadly is a vise for me, and drink water or home brewed iced tea (0 cals) it helps a lot, i have to pee all the time but then again that's probably all the water i'd been retaining leaving my body.
  • Lollie776
    Lollie776 Posts: 8
    Options
    Midol! Midol! Midol!!! I can't stand the bloat!!! My past experience though was a good daily workout really helped out with all of the symptoms of the "gift"! Mine usually lasts a week and seems to last longer the older I'm getting.....
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a spreadsheet that I have been tracking my weekly progress on, and I have the TOM weeks marked in pink. I have found that I either gain or maintain during the week of TOM, lose maybe 1/2 pound the week after TOM, then 1.5 - 2 the following week. Now that I know that pattern, I don't panic. Oh, and my body plateaus every 9 pounds.

Good idea, would certainly help to see the pattern to avoid the frustration when we see the temporary blips on the scale, even though we are doing everything right. Don't need any extra triggers during that TOM, already *****y enough!

I seem to have stalled at 9 lbs lost, was getting frustrated. Glad to see I'm not alone, I'm motivated now to push through it. Thanks!
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I typed b. i. t. c. h. y. and it bleeped me!

Obviously his forum is not familiar with PMS!:laugh:
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    totally normal :)
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Drink a TON of water. Cut way down on sodium. I also find huge relief with an herbal mix called Oona PMS 2. I'm on day 1 of TOM and no bloat and lost .4lbs since yesterday. Had a good loss the week up to it. Also, for me, it cuts the cramp pain down from OMG I'm in labor to Hmmm what was that twinge? The Oona stuff works so well my husband makes it his priority to keep me stocked!