why do a lot of slightly overweight people look worse when they lose it?

Options
I've noticed this quite a lot, it might be because they wear the same sweaters/shirts which are too baggy on them, it could also be because they've lot muscle on the shoulders. Or is it my conditioning, where slightly overweight is seen as the new normal?

They also often seem less jolly.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ummmmm

i can only speak for MYSELF but *I* look a whole lot better, my shoulders are more defined and muscular and i certainly dont wear clothes that are too big (at least not when i leave the house LOL )

and im much happier, more sociable and overall much more fun to be around.....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Wearing clothes that are too big definitely could be a problem, but perhaps they are still losing and don't want to spend money on new clothes until they are at goal.

If they look flabby even in revealing clothing it could be from losing too quickly or losing too much muscle. A large deficit for losing quickly can also make one less jolly. It's uncomfortable to maintain a large deficit.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The only thing i sometimes see is people who were fat and had full plump fat faces and now have hallow and wrinkled faces.

Then, i've seen people who look 20 years younger with less fat on their faces. SO..... *SHRUG*
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Wearing clothes that are too big definitely could be a problem, but perhaps they are still losing and don't want to spend money on new clothes until they are at goal.

If they look flabby even in revealing clothing it could be from losing too quickly or losing too much muscle. A large deficit for losing quickly can also make one less jolly. It's uncomfortable to maintain a large deficit.

+1
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    The only thing i sometimes see is people who were fat and had full plump fat faces and now have hallow and wrinkled faces.

I was actually thinking the opposite of this. I think it's weird when you see someone who had a round plump "fat" face who has lost a lot of weight everywhere except their face.

A good example I noticed recently as far as celebrities go is Anthony Anderson -- If you watch his new food network show you'll see what I mean.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I was actually thinking the opposite of this. I think it's weird when you see someone who had a round plump "fat" face who has lost a lot of weight everywhere except their face.

A good example I noticed recently as far as celebrities go is Anthony Anderson -- If you watch his new food network show you'll see what I mean.

On the other hand.... alton brown.

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Maybe its just a change in how they look to you? I had a good friend who I always thought was at a perfect weight (but she wanted to be 10 pounds lighter). Then she became a marathon runner, and became a well-muscled twig. For a long time, I thought that her face looked very drawn and thin, but it was really just the new her, with cheekbones prominent.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options

<3 Alton

Me + Alton=4EVUHHHH
    Don't tell my fiance, shhhh
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't think they look worse, I think they look smaller. Maybe, if they look gaunt and unhappy, maybe there are doing a program that they don't like, or deficient, or having a really really horrible day.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    After losing almost 40lbs my forehead, feet, waist and chin all look much better. My arms and legs and belly all look saggy now and it sucks. My MFP friends who have lost a ton of weight tell me eventually the skin shrinks back to your smaller size. Just gotta be patient (and maybe lift some weights!)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Almost everything looks better on me - I think. My gut is a little saggy with extra skin but I blame three pregnancies for that and not my extra 20 lbs.

I think most people look better when they lose their extra weight except those who have lost in an unhealthy way, like due to a sickness.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I think after a certain age, women's faces look better if they are on the higher end of the normal BMI or even slightly overweight (not obese, but around 26 or 27 BMI). Often women who are 45+ who are excessively thin or lose weight quickly look more wrinkled or gaunt and drawn. The fat does fill in the wrinkles a bit and gives some fullness to the cheeks. I have a thinner sister who is 2 years younger than I am, but most people think she's the older one, not that I'm "fat," but I'm around a 23 BMI while she might be more like a 19-20.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    i've got some serious droop going on in numerous places...but i'm trying to be patient about it and hope that time helps out a little down the road. but at my age, that may be overly optimistic.

i sure do like being able to wear something other than relaxed-fit jeans with legs so "relaxed" that I could've smuggled refugees in them.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    In my limited experience I have seen many people lose a lot of muscle as well as fat. The end result is that these people can barely stand upright.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »

<3 Alton

Me + Alton=4EVUHHHH
    Don't tell my fiance, shhhh

Good Eats forever <3 My husband and I never miss a rerun lol

I've deluded myself into believing that because I'm 23 losing 120 pounds won't affect me at all and I'm going to waltz out of this in a bikini (lol jk) failing that I stare at photos of sagging skin and convince myself it doesn't look that bad and I want to have a kid anyway :D
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's probably from losing muscle mass. And yes, most of us are conditioned to see overweight and even mildly obese as the new normal.