Should I be eating more to lose weight?

Options
Reached a stalemate in weight loss even though my activity levels are higher than ever. Is it possible I'm not consuming enough calories to have a weight loss?

I have currently lost 12kg and now wavering between 68 and 69kg for approx three months.

I have a sedentary job but I do cycle five miles daily. Play racquet sports three nights a week an hour at a time. I also do HIIT for an hour a week. Then I do some extra cycles or runs as and when.

I consume an average of 1500 -1600 calories a day. Often 1200-1400 and then closer to 2000 at the weekends. Before I reached my stalemate I was consuming average 1200-1400 a day and doing HIIT for 2-3 hours a week. Nothing more.

So what do people think?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Is your 1500-1600 "average" including your 2000 calorie weekends? High days can wipe out a deficit. You are not eating too little, but probably too much.
  • michellejaneowen919
    Options
    Yes that's including those up to 2000 days and I'm rounding up saying up to 2000. So basically 1200-1400 five days a week and up to 2000 on two. Giving me average of around 1500-1600 a day when looking back at my logs.

I'm happy to be maintaining but exercising for pleasure five days a week so curious how diet is interacting with movement.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Do you feel comfortable opening up your diary? Perhaps we can spot something in there throwing you off, logging wise.

Also, what are your stats?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eating more will not cause weight loss......
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is a myth.

Also:

MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a problem getting all my calories in. I was on a 3 month plateau, went back over diary, according to CICO I should have lost 40 Lbs over the summer. But, I had quit doing strength training. And was just doing water aerobics 5 days a week. Now, I'm back to doing my weights and trying to make sure I get at least my 1600 calories a day in. That being said, plateaus are normal. Try switching it up for a couple weeks or so, do some different exercise, make sure you get your calories in, don't eat back too many of your exercise calories,and keep going, this too shall pass! Even tho the scales haven't moved, have you measured yourself? I would lose inches, then lbs. I would try and keep at the 1600 cals a day, even on weekends. Also, make sure you are weighing your food accurately. Instead of using measuring cups, weigh it out. There is usually grams or oz available for a serving size. It's easy to measure wrong and actually be eating way more than you think!!! Good luck, be patient, it will happen!!!!
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Also:

STARVATION MODE ISN'T A MYTH!!!! :hushed: Have a look at www.dramandaonline.com - she has devoted her entire life and all her studies to the famine reaction and 'fat brake' and it is definately not a myth, but certainly doesn't occur as quickly as people think.

If your plateau is accompanied by low energy, low body temperature, constant thinking of food and increased hunger you're probably experiencing a famine reaction/starvation mode and will need to listen to your body and eat calorie dense foods until you've had enough. this could be one meal or a number of them - depending on your body. Once your body feels there is enough food it will kick back into weight loss and you should feel better, more energised and less hungry. Her website is AMAZING for info and I highly recommend both books. Good luck :) Famine reaction/plateau isn't caused by eating low calories for a period of time but more so being below your 'set point' weight - which is the most average weight you've been at for the most period of time recently.. unfortuantely your body doesn't know whether this is a healthy weight or not, it thinks all set weights are healthy and too low below it is 'starving' even if you're not! Look into her further - she's great :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Yes, starvation mode is a myth. It is impossible to gain weight or stop losing weight at a caloric deficit.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You have reached maintenance. Whether your maintenance is only 1600 (which is possible depending on height, mine is around 1700 without exercise), or you are not logging accurately, this is something you need to figure out. Unless you want to gain weight, eating more is most certainly not the answer.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    caci88 wrote: »

Also:

STARVATION MODE ISN'T A MYTH!!!! :hushed: Have a look at www.dramandaonline.com - she has devoted her entire life and all her studies to the famine reaction and 'fat brake' and it is definately not a myth, but certainly doesn't occur as quickly as people think.

If your plateau is accompanied by low energy, low body temperature, constant thinking of food and increased hunger you're probably experiencing a famine reaction/starvation mode and will need to listen to your body and eat calorie dense foods until you've had enough. this could be one meal or a number of them - depending on your body. Once your body feels there is enough food it will kick back into weight loss and you should feel better, more energised and less hungry. Her website is AMAZING for info and I highly recommend both books. Good luck :) Famine reaction/plateau isn't caused by eating low calories for a period of time but more so being below your 'set point' weight - which is the most average weight you've been at for the most period of time recently.. unfortuantely your body doesn't know whether this is a healthy weight or not, it thinks all set weights are healthy and too low below it is 'starving' even if you're not! Look into her further - she's great :)

No. Adaptive Thermogenesis is a thing, set points aren't, starvation mode isn't, and adaptive thermogenesis sure as hell doesn't completely wipe out a 500 kcal deficit or even turn it into a surplus.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    caci88 wrote: »

Also:

I'll take the studies of actual scientists and doctors (which state that starvation mode is a myth) over the statement of one chick who clearly doesn't know what she's talking about, thanks.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Too much exercise stimulating cortisol! Back off exercise, and cut carbs. All should be good!
  • HeatherNichole1978
    Options
    My experience has been that if I keep my workouts consistent and eat 1600 calories/day I lose. If I cut back to 1400 I plateau until I increase my intake again. Starvation mode may be a myth but I have personally experienced a stall in weight loss when I haven't been fueling my body properly.
  • michellejaneowen919
    Options
    Interesting to hear thoughts. I'm going to keep across my stats further for September and see if I should tweak my exercise as I am exercise at a lower intensity than before albeit for longer.

I kept a vague log throughout July and start of August so dont think I have enough data to assess yet.
    Keeping a maintenance though which I'm happy with

Cheers for the input!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Listen to the science, not the anecdotes, and you'll be fine.
  • Yi5hedr3
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good info.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Options
    mrscaine wrote: »
    My experience has been that if I keep my workouts consistent and eat 1600 calories/day I lose. If I cut back to 1400 I plateau until I increase my intake again. Starvation mode may be a myth but I have personally experienced a stall in weight loss when I haven't been fueling my body properly.

Very interesting!
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I have found a sweet spot for myself at about 1550 a day and exercising with cardio/strength 3x a week. I eat back about 25% - 50% of my exercise calories on workout days. Before I was struggling to lose consistently (.4 one week, .6 another) and was only at 1250 a day and exercising with cardio only at 5x a week.

I think for many people you have to find that combo that works best for you. I won't pretend to know anything about whether starvation mode exists or not. But, I do know that for myself, I needed to up my calories in order to see consistent losses (like 1 - 1.5 lbs. per week). No idea why, but I did it and it is working, plus I get more food. So win-win.

One thing I will harp on though is weighing your food. That has been a huge eye opener for me.