Question about the extra calories you get when you exercise

Options
I just completed my first week, and I lost 2 pounds. On days when I exercise, extra calories get added to the amount I can eat that day. Will I still continue to lose weight if I eat the extra calories given to me that day, or should I stick to the 1200 a day I have been allotted? Yesterday I swam laps, and I am always starving on days when I swim. Thanks for the advice

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating back half the exercise calories? It's best to make sure you have enough energy to keep working out!
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is do-able but it can be rough. Yes, like the previous poster said eat back at least half of your exercise calories. But make sure those calories are reasonably accurate. If you're logging a 1000 calorie burn for 20 minutes of swimming and eating back 500 that might not be very helpful for you.

1200 is the minimum MFP will recommend. Are you very small in stature? I'm 5'6'' and I lose on 1800 calories a day.

It's a long process and a lifestyle to lose weight. Sometimes trying to rush it by restricting calories too far doesn't lead to long term success. Good luck!

• IlliniFACS
    IlliniFACS Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you to both of you for the replies. I just completed my first week, and I did lose exactly 2 pounds on 1200 calories. I am 5-7 in height, but I have a sedentary job. I was surprised that I did not lose more on 1200 because I know I was eating a lot more than that before I started.