Movie Theatre Food

Options
My fiance and I are avid movie-goers - we usually go at least once a week. My problem is, the smell of the popcorn gets me every time!! I usually end up getting nachos with cheese or popcorn, and then I end up regretting it afterwards. Last night we went to a movie and I got the smallest popcorn availble (smaller then a "small" - it was called the "Snak Pack") and I didn't get butter on it.

My question is - how do you avoid the temptation of movie theatre food when you go to a movie? Do you simply ignore it? Do you bring your own snacks? Do you not eat anything?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Are we twins?
    :)

We used to go to the movies every week. Now we go once a month. That ONE time a month, I say screw it and eat whatever I want. I do a kick *kitten* workout the next morning and move on.

I don't think I could go every week anymore. It's too tempting for me. We use Netflix to fill the void at home. LOL.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Sadly I don't go to the cinema very often. Maybe once every few months. When I do I usually get a hot dog, I shouldn't, but I do. Then I started nicking nachos with cheese from my family...

If you are going to take your own snacks, just make sure they will let you. Or just sneak it in lol.
  • Kellster30
    Kellster30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We tried Netflix, but we found that the selection wasn't good for us because we'd either seen the movies already or they were really old movies that we had no interest in. I've heard the the US version of Netflix is better....if the Canadian version improves, then I'd go back to it.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I go for the snack pack. Just plan for it and eat lightly/healthy for the rest of your day. I cannot resist movie popcorn.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    some people drink the kool-aid. i eat the popcorn. sorry - not going to be too much help for you since i'm in the same boat, but i can empathize, for sure!
  • Mrsairforce
    Mrsairforce Posts: 130
    Options
    I share a small popcorn and a pack of Raisinets with my husband :) Totally satisfies me throughout the movie!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Bring your own low fat popcorn and a water.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I went and picked up my own snacks before hand.. I brought my own diet coke, popchips and sugar free bubble gum. I got a cup with ice. I was looking for skinny pop popcorn for the movie but it wasn't at the store... next time
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Expensive too for snacks at the theatre
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I only go to a movie a couple of times a year so I usually just budget some calories for it. Perhaps you could set aside 50-75 calories each day toward your movie snack budget.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'd probably just budget for the snack pack if I was you. They're not too bad calorie-wise. Usually about 500 of you get a diet soda and no butter on the popcorn.
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There's no way I can fit movie snacks into my calorie budget, so I've just convinced myself they are not for me. I don't even look at them when I go in (which can be tough now that many theaters make you buy your tickets at the snack counter...tricky marketing!)

I often eat lunch or dinner just before going so I control my calories and it's easier to resist the snacks.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I bring my own water, one to two servings of m&m's and I get a small popcorn. Sometimes I can work it to where that just replaces my meal.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I always bring my own snacks. Just carry a big purse to put it in, and nobody will give you a hard time. Mostly I bring protein bars, dry cereal, gum, lollies, hard candy or other small things. You can pop your own popcorn at home and bring it if you want popcorn?
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I know theaters make most of their money off of snack sales, but our local theater offers no healthy options so I bring in a cut up apple and a slice of cheese, then I buy my water there so I don't feel so guilty for using my "purse o' deception".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I go to the movies to enjoy them. I strategically set that day up right and then eat:

2 hot dogs with ketchup and mustard
    Small popcorn
    Nachos with cheese
    Milk Duds
    Diet coke

Easily 1700 calories when I eat. But then again I usually have 2300 calories to spend and that's without exercising. So I usually don't have breakfast, have to cut down on my dinner and snacking at night is very light.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I always bring my own snacks. Just carry a big purse to put it in, and nobody will give you a hard time. Mostly I bring protein bars, dry cereal, gum, lollies, hard candy or other small things. You can pop your own popcorn at home and bring it if you want popcorn?

The problem with that, though is that a lot of theaters are starting to search bags before you come in to look for guns and knives and stuff because all of the shootings lately since they're all so afraid of getting sued. Of course, they take your snacks too if they find any. :/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »

The problem with that, though is that a lot of theaters are starting to search bags before you come in to look for guns and knives and stuff because all of the shootings lately since they're all so afraid of getting sued. Of course, they take your snacks too if they find any. :/

My friends are veterans at sneaking booze in past security at concert venues. Cowboy boots work great. You could also put plenty of snacks in your pockets. A ziploc bag of popcorn at the back of your pants. Also, purse searches are not thorough. They've never made me open all the compartments.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Kellster30 wrote: »
    My fiance and I are avid movie-goers - we usually go at least once a week. My problem is, the smell of the popcorn gets me every time!! I usually end up getting nachos with cheese or popcorn, and then I end up regretting it afterwards. Last night we went to a movie and I got the smallest popcorn availble (smaller then a "small" - it was called the "Snak Pack") and I didn't get butter on it.

My question is - how do you avoid the temptation of movie theatre food when you go to a movie? Do you simply ignore it? Do you bring your own snacks? Do you not eat anything?

I eat dinner before I go and bring a small bag of M&Ms.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I go to the cinema a lot and very rarely get any snacks; sometimes a diet Coke. I don't see the two things as linked.

I get ice cream or pick and mix very rarely, and only if I fancied them anyway, not because that's what you do at the cinema, and I would forego another treat later in the week or eat a lower calorie meal before coming so it balances out.