Do you have an answer?

Options
I am 5'1" tall and have my goal weight set at 125 lbs. BUT, when I look at other womens goal & they are around the same age & height, they have theirs at 115-120. Should I be rethinking my goal???

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    When you get to 125, ask yourself if you feel good about that weight. If no, keep going. If yes--then you have reached the perfect spot for you. :flowerforyou:
  • electricnarwhal
    Options
    See how you feel when you reach 125! If you feel comfortable and feel that you look amazing, then stay around there. If you feel like you could lose more, then try to lose more. :) Everyone's different remember! Good luck! :happy:
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know what you're saying and have had similar thoughts, but remind myself that it doesn't really make any sense to base my personal goal on someone else's goal or body.

I'm 4'11 (currently 134 pounds) and see other women my height who are or want to be 100 pounds. I'll be so happy if I can get to and maintain 120. And when I'm there, I'll reassess and see how I feel/look and if I want to adjust my goal then, I can do that.

Also, I have to keep reminding myself that really measurements are more important than weight.

Good luck!

-LP
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm shorter, but I based my goal on my GP's suggested weight range... I am 4ft 11in and she suggested between 85-105 as my weight range. I would do what feels right to you or ask your Dr... Also, you can look at the Tools here on MFP to get an idea of a suggested weight range.
  • rowdyropermom
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I am 5'2 and when I calculate my bmi it says I should weigh 125. It's NOT gonna happen. With my body type I wouldn't even look healthy at that weight. I weighed 135-140 through highschool and looked and felt great. I think as long as you're watching what you eat and doing some sort of activity everyday you'll be just fine. I just want to be healthy for me not everyone else! Hope this helps.
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When you get to 125, ask yourself if you feel good about that weight. If no, keep going. If yes--then you have reached the perfect spot for you. :flowerforyou:

My thoughts exactly! :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Once you reach your goal of 125 - re-evaluate your goal. Are you happy with how you look at 125? If so, then don't worry about what anyone else is doing. You do what is best for you!

I see a lot of women on here who are the same height as me (5'4") and their goals are far lower than mine (in the 130's or 120's). I know my body and I know I would look unhealthy and ridiculous at 125 or 130lbs. I stick with what I think looks best on me. :) We all carry our weight a little differently.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I am 5'2 and when I calculate my bmi it says I should weigh 125. It's NOT gonna happen. With my body type I wouldn't even look healthy at that weight. I weighed 135-140 through highschool and looked and felt great. I think as long as you're watching what you eat and doing some sort of activity everyday you'll be just fine. I just want to be healthy for me not everyone else! Hope this helps.

BMI is, IMO, the most flawed way of judging whether or not we are at a healthy weight. I honestly take it with a grain of salt - especially since it says I was "overweight" at 146-147lbs. I think that is ridiculous. I don't want to be 118lbs - which is what it considers "healthy" for me. Pfft. I would look like a skeleton at 118lbs.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and currently at 127lbs! I have a small-medium frame and the healthy BMI/weight range it gives for me is between 107-126ish (although I am considered at "normal" BMI already), my goal is to reach 112lbs, but if I feel happy before then (which I do NOT yet) then I will stop!! It is all about where YOU are happy!