One of my favorites - Slow-Cooked Buffalo Pulled Chicken

Options
OneHundredToLose
OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
This has been a favorite of mine for a long time. It's super easy to make and actually isn't really bad for you. Here's what you need:

-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
-1 bottle of Frank's Red Hot or Frank's Wing Sauce
-1/2 cup of water
-1 TBSP Garlic Powder
-1 TBSP Onion Powder
-1 TBSP Black Pepper
-A crock pot / slow cooker

This is dead simple to make. Here's what you do:

-Put the chicken into the crock pot. Try to get it all on the same level
-Sprinkle the seasonings over the chicken. Try to get them evenly coated
-Pour in the Frank's Red Hot. Get it all over the chicken
-Pour the water down the side of the crock pot so it ends up below the chicken
-Close the crock pot, set it on Low and cook for 6 - 8 hours

When it's done, get 2 forks and shred the chicken in the crock pot. It'll shred really easily. Mix it up really well with the sauce, and let it sit for about an hour.

Makes 12 - 15 sandwiches. It also tastes great on a salad!

Replies

• SUPERSUE42
    SUPERSUE42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    sounds good. going to make it this weekend! thanks
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    SUPERSUE42 wrote: »
    sounds good. going to make it this weekend! thanks

Awesome, let me know what you think!
  • xBijinx
    xBijinx Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This sounds good and not too big on calories. I think I'll try it over a salad.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    canyoustayfordinner.com has a recipe for buffalo chicken eggrolls ....They are delicious
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    sounds divine darling. lol
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Alternately, you can heavily season bone in, skin on chicken with a variety of spices, kosher salt, black pepper, fresh or dry herbs, fresh garlic, scallions etc. and add olive oil to marinate for a day.

Afterward, get a Dutch oven very hot and add some oil or bacon fat. When the oil is hot, sear the chicken skin side down. When golden brown, flip the chicken and toss in anything you have on hand that makes sense together for extra flavor, e.g. fresh herbs, tomato paste, hot sauce, bay leaves, vegetables, etc.

Add enough chicken stock to almost cover the chicken. Cover with a heavy, tight fitting lid and let braise in a 250-275 F oven for 2.5 to 3 hours.

That's really all that is needed. After cooking, the meat with be extremely flavorful and fall apart tender. 6-8 hours is overkill for chicken. That extended timing is more for something like beef brisket.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Alternately, you can heavily season bone in, skin on chicken with a variety of spices, kosher salt, black pepper, fresh or dry herbs, fresh garlic, scallions etc. and add olive oil to marinate for a day.

Afterward, get a Dutch oven very hot and add some oil or bacon fat. When the oil is hot, sear the chicken skin side down. When golden brown, flip the chicken and toss in anything you have on hand that makes sense together for extra flavor, e.g. fresh herbs, tomato paste, hot sauce, bay leaves, vegetables, etc.

Add enough chicken stock to almost cover the chicken. Cover with a heavy, tight fitting lid and let braise in a 250-275 F oven for 2.5 to 3 hours.

That's really all that is needed. After cooking, the meat with be extremely flavorful and fall apart tender. 6-8 hours is overkill for chicken. That extended timing is more for something like beef brisket.

Nah, I've between making crock pot chicken for over a decade. 6 - 8 hours on low is perfect for the recipe I gave. Yours sounds good, but it's a completely different meal. You should probably create your own thread for it. Thanks though.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend will love this! Gonna make a buffalo chicken pizza with it, yum.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    my boyfriend will love this! Gonna make a buffalo chicken pizza with it, yum.

That's an excellent idea. I'm gonna have to do that too, never thought of that
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Could you make this with a pressure cooker?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Could you make this with a pressure cooker?

16min or with quick release for bone in thighs tends to get them super tender and moist, can pull apart by hand
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. Too bad my husband doesn't like anything spicy. Might have to try it with bbq sauce instead. It's getting cooler here so I love using my slow cooker. Made split pea with ham soup yesterday.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    JennieMaeK wrote: »
    Sounds delicious. Too bad my husband doesn't like anything spicy. Might have to try it with bbq sauce instead. It's getting cooler here so I love using my slow cooker. Made split pea with ham soup yesterday.

Yeah, I've actually made this with BBQ sauce as well, still turns out awesome. I recommend Jack Daniels Original Recipe No. 7 or Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce. You might need 2 bottles, depending on how much chicken you decide to make, but you can always start with one and add a little more later.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm not keen on a whole bottle of sauce, but I make pulled pork often in the crock pot. I usually make my own bbq sauce or a balsamic one. I've never thought of doing chicken, so thanks for sharing.

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    I'm not keen on a whole bottle of sauce, but I make pulled pork often in the crock pot. I usually make my own bbq sauce or a balsamic one. I've never thought of doing chicken, so thanks for sharing. .

Yeah, if you don't like it really spicy, you can do half a bottle of Frank's and a cup or two of water as well. The thing I like most about the slow cooker is that it's basically impossible to mess up whatever you're making.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have been making this for years (I am 68) and we love it. You can also use just a jar of salsa verde and make burritos.

Slow cooking is a time honored way of cooking lots of meats to add flavor and tenderness.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    I have been making this for years (I am 68) and we love it. You can also use just a jar of salsa verde and make burritos.

Slow cooking is a time honored way of cooking lots of meats to add flavor and tenderness.

Oooh, I'd never thought of making burritos with it. That is an excellent idea, and sounds delicious. I'm making a batch of this today, so I think I'll set some aside to try that out. I'll take it for lunch on Tuesday. Thanks :smile:
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing! And what the ignorant bored person keeps complaining about, is the time it takes to cook chicken in an oven (probably, I'm just presuming because he makes no sense). I think what he fails to realize is a slow cooker is like 250-300 max. I think mine may even be less that that! I can't wait to try this on some sub rolls! Awesome, thank you friend!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Op thanks for the recipe! Sounds delicious and super easy.

I so wish to have a crock pot, if anybody has an idea where I can get one not too expensive/ in a budget, let me know!
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    Op thanks for the recipe! Sounds delicious and super easy.

I so wish to have a crock pot, if anybody has an idea where I can get one not too expensive/ in a budget, let me know!

Try checking your local Craigslist. I've seen them on there for as low as $10. Thrift stores are also great, they always seem to have one or two.