No progress? :(

Options
So I have been actively controlling my calorie intake and began 30DS at the beginning of this past week. I will freely admit I feel a lot better. I feel thinner even. I will also admit that I really don't take in enough calories probably most days. I am almost always under 1200.

But the scale has not budged at all. I know that it's not a great measure of success since muscle weighs more than fat... but still. It's getting pretty frustrating sitting at this plateau after having lost 13lbs since February.

Replies

• jennfer71
    jennfer71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My MFP calorie goal is also set to 1200 and I had always tried to come in under the goal. This week though I changed my outlook on the calorie goal and strived to actually hit the goal. I don't worry about going over, just keep it close. I have noticed the scale move more this week than it seems to have in a long time! And it is moving in the right direction too!! I wonder if my calories were just estimated too low for my body. I haven't added a lot of calories to my days, but it seems to have kick-started something for me. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a minimum of 1200, not under. MFP already factors in the calorie deficit for weight loss. If you are exercising, you need to eat back at least 1/2 of those calories (personally I eat them all but that freaks some people out). Most people try to lose the weight too fast so they don't develop healthy habits and starve themselves. End up going to their old ways.
  • cindysharp1
    Options
    You really need to eat the right amount of calories your body will go into starvation mode and start storing anything you put in it instead of using it as fuel. How is your exercise routine? You didn't mention it! If you start eating the right amount of calories and get in some good exercise at least 3 times a week and really push it you will shock your body. It will respond I think eating a little more calories is better than not eating enough. Hope this helps!!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    You need to open your diary so we can see what exactly you are eating, too. Certainly not eating enough may be a problem, but there may also be issues with what you're eating.
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    Definitely make sure you up the calories. With 30DS, you could be burning around 200 calories and if you're not replenishing that, you're going to suffer for it. Are you making sure that you're eating clean? High sodium foods will make you retain water that may skew your weigh ins.

Also, weight loss is not the be-all and end-all. Make sure you're tracking things like your body fat percentage and your measurements such as your waist, etc. Losing inches is just as good as losing weight (if not better).
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've learned from this site:

1) You need to drink more water to reduce water weight / retention

2) You need to eat to lose weight.

Both are counter-intuitive, but I can attest that it's working. I started exercising this year to anticipate a bigger loss, only to find out that I needed to eat them back. Well, I am, and I'm losing weight. Not as quickly as I'd like, but it is consistently going down.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    And make sure you are measuring your waist, thighs, hips, chest and more, if you want. Remember this si NOT diet. This is a helpful way to establish lifetime habits. Measuring is key.

And just a term correction, which clears up a commonly overlooked point. Muscle does not WEIGH more than fat. it is more DENSE than fat. 5 lbs of muscle can take up the same amount of space as 1 pound of fat.
  • karq85
    karq85 Posts: 7
    Options
    I do drink a lot of water, so I've got that covered. A ridiculous amount actually, close to 16 cups per day. I should also clarify that it is not intentional coming in under 1200, it just sort of happens? I'm in college so I'm quite poor and I don't necessarily get all 3 meals a day like I should. Things to work on I suppose.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you only have just a little weight to lose, like you do, then its not going to melt off that quickly. From everything I've heard it takes some concentrated effort to drop those last ten pounds. I might consider stepping up your exercise. I would also suggest you make sure you are eating enough proteins and healthy fats. Consider investing in some almonds for a snack or some all natural nut butter. It might help.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Also, I hired two different registered dieticians. They said, that once you are under 150 pound, you should never lose more than 1/2 to 1 pound per week, to maintain your muscle.
  • sayambular
    sayambular Posts: 205
    Options
    You could also try measuring yourself to see if you've lost any inches.
  • kare77
    kare77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Ive been on MFP for 10 days and doing the shred for 5 and the scale has not budged, but like you to i do feel better and thinner so its gotta be doing something right?? feel free to add me as a friend if you like :smile:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Also, I hired two different registered dieticians. They said, that once you are under 150 pound, you should never lose more than 1/2 to 1 pound per week, to maintain your muscle.

I didn't know that, thanks!