working out hard

Options
I have always been an active person... But not til I found a work out buddy have my work outs been so intense, go get you a workout buddy...you will be glad you did...but make sure you get a match. I am in menopause and still able to lose weight...just lost 2 pounds this week.

Replies

• williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    lol...what are you going to do when the other person can't make it to the gym? Serious question. I push myself hard on my own..and personally like going to the gym alone because it's my me time...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm good either way.
  • dinagurl59
    dinagurl59 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I still go to the gym...with or without my workout buddy...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I concur with the OP. My workouts are tough but they regularly reach another level when I'm working out with a partner. A MUCH higher level.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I train hard for myself and myself alone. My intensity level doesn't vary regardless of whether I've got a teammate in the gym with me or I'm all by myself in the gym.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find a workout buddy. But unfortunately nobody I know will come to the gym at 4am with me lol. So I'm my own workout buddy.
    But yay you! We all have to do what works for us and you found yours! Congrats on your hard work
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that works for you!

I always preferred to work out alone,personally. But hey we're all different!
  • dinagurl59
    Options
    It became boring trying to keep motivated... My workout buddy pushes me to the max cause she has been doing this for a long time... If you don't need a workout pal great!...I just happen to enjoy one...since I am somewhat of a loner in everything else I do.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    But not everyone is you and not everyone needs a buddy.
    There are significant advantages to working out alone, so its personal choice.
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    To each there own but every body builder, strength trainer, power lifter I've ever read from highly recommends one. The psychological benefits are huge as are the physical ones. You help each other through plateaus I.e. Helping you push through a failed rep or two or psyching you up on a down day. I know people will reply that others at the gym will help but nothing like some one that's willing to get in your face.

But again, to each their own and I'm happy that you found something that works for YOU.
  • dinagurl59
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm a complete slacker on my own in the gym and get thoroughly bored! I don't have an exercise buddy so I've found group classes are my saviour! I have to book in advance so then I feel I have to go even if I'm not in the mood. I then work hard because I have motivation from others in the class. I also enjoy the social aspect of meeting new people who enjoy working out. I do one or two group exercise classes per day and my fitness has increased massively. I would like to do some heavy lifting but there are no classes for that so may have to get a PT once a week to do that. No funds currently so that'll have to wait!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I'd rather work out alone.

people tend to want to talk and crap. if you can talk, youre doing it wrong ;) LOL

but we all work differently and some of us do better with a partner of some kind. it just wouldnt work for me.

i think the only exception for that (again, for ME), will be when I start recomp and dong more serious weights. Then I would really like to have the advice and guidance of a partner who knows what they are doing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something that helps you!

I've also found that it helps me stay consistent if there's some kind of commitment involved. So, I go row with my rowing buddies routinely, even if I might (occasionally) slack off if I didn't have a specified time when we meet. Or, I sign up for spin class, both because I love it & because there's that fixed appointment on my calendar - I can't tell myself it's OK to let it slide until later in the day.

And a little bit of built-in competition can be encouraging, too: In the winter when I do a lot of rowing machine workouts (not as fun, truthfully, as being on the water), it can help to compete with team-mates for intensity, or with online groups for more meters.

Mostly, I'm pretty self-motivated about exercise (because I make it a point to do things I think are *fun*). I assume you're pretty self-motivated, too, since you say you're generally active.

But I hear what you're saying about a little bit of competition, a little bit of time-commitment, some in-person support being helpful.

I hope that some of the people on the forum saying "I can't get motivated to exercise" will consider your advice - so far, it seems like a lot of the replies on this thread are from solo exercisers. Solo is great, too, if it works for a person. But there sure do seem to be a lot of folks posting who need some ideas to motivate themselves and commit to being active.
  • dinagurl59
    Options
    So true!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a workout buddy :'(
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a workout buddy :'(

Then find one! Even if you can't find a friend who wants to work out with you - go to the gym and compete with the person on the next machine or go to the park and run with another runner - try to keep up! Alternatively go to group classes or set yourself little challenges. Whatever works for you but don't not work out just because you don't have someone to go with. :smiley: