New Here--does this work?

Options
Hi everyone. So my weight has crept up 15 lbs over the last 10 years. I guess what they say about metabolism slowing over 30 is true. Time to count calories, so I thought I'd give this a try. Does it work?

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well..I just turned 46.......I'm on my 12th day of logging....consistently....every bite and every move....and I've lost over 3 lbs since.....I think it does!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eight five pounds down now. I had a lot of help along the way but counting calories is a critical piece.
  • SalubriciousGirl
    SalubriciousGirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well..I just turned 46.......I'm on my 12th day of logging....consistently....every bite and every move....and I've lost over 3 lbs since.....I think it does!
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yes. Eight five pounds down now. I had a lot of help along the way but counting calories is a critical piece.

Thanks! I've heard it's 70% what you eat. I thought I could just work out more or harder but it doesn't seem to be working. I suppose I'll have to cut back on the wine too!
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

Thanks! I've heard it's 70% what you eat. I thought I could just work out more or harder but it doesn't seem to be working. I suppose I'll have to cut back on the wine too!

LOL..Booze is the killer of most success...I love my vodka! I fit it into my calories now tho, and am noticing a huge diff FAST!
  • JustMissTracy
    edited September 2015
    Options

LOL..Booze is the killer of most success...I love my vodka! I fit it into my calories now tho, and am noticing a huge diff FAST!

And I'd say it's more 90% food....you could lose weight just by creating a bigger calorie deficit, but I wouldn't suggest it xo LOL..Im pretty new here, meant to quote YOUR comment...
  • SalubriciousGirl
    Options

Too funny. Yep...you have to choose your calories, I guess! Priorities!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit will equal weight loss :)
    Exercise will also help!

Best of luck!
  • SalubriciousGirl
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit will equal weight loss :)
    Exercise will also help!

Best of luck!

Thank you! I heard the other day on NPR that dieting alone was as effective as exercising and diet, but the exercise makes me feel good, not just burn calories. The trick seems to be not to replace those burned during exercise, and it looks like I will be able to balance that better with MFP.
  • the_safwan
    the_safwan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It works if you want it to work. :)
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    What the person said above me. In addition, I have lost 27.8 pounds in 11 weeks, so it works for sure :)
  • youngy1976
    youngy1976 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As said above its all about calorie deficit. Cardio and cross training is a huge help. Constantly shock your body with different cardio routines or your body will adapt and plateau
  • virgenminaramospagan
    Options
    :) I loged in for a month counting my calories and walking 1 hour 3 times a week. Lost 8 pounds. I eat the same food, but less amount. It works. I do not eat after 6 pm

• virgenminaramospagan
    Options
    Oh. And I am 57

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

If you are at a consistent deficit either from exercise or eating less then it works 100% over time. Trying to allocate whather itas down to food or exercise depends on how much exercise you actually do, the more you do the more influentual that aspect can be. Its 100% deficit.
  • virgenminaramospagan
    Options
    [quote="SalubriciousGirl;33877358"

It's 100% what you eat. You have to eat half of what you are use to eat every day. I am 57 and that is what I am doing.
  • LoveIshie
    LoveIshie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @Salubriciousgirl, it works if you show dedication and focus, eat the right food, exercise and track it all. I believe 85-90% of what you eat will contribute to your weight loss, the rest comes from exercise. Exercise only expedite the process a little. Do your best to stick to your MFP caloric goal. It is very important. Weigh your food so you don't end up eating more than you need. Track everything you eat and drink. Tracking will help you determine what types of food to cut back on especially if for some reason you are gaining weight and you don't know why. If you screw up its not the end of the world. Get up and continue. We have all screwed up at some point, but you have to try being positive and don't beat yourself up for messing up. We are here if you need help or have questions. Always review your food and exercise diary at least once or twice a month. Since I joined, I have lost 14lbs...almost half way to my goal. If you need some encouragement,feel free to add me. I hope this info was helpful to you. You can do this...I wish you the best!
  • virgenminaramospagan
    Options
    :)
  • SalubriciousGirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Lost nearly 20 lbs once I got serious about counting calories. All I did was workout a lot but would not count what I put into my body, so never really lost weight. It was difficult at first but after a while it becomes second nature, or a good habit. Good luck and welcome to the club!
  • robper13
    robper13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I never calorie counted before. I did log what i ate to some extent last year but not like what i do now since joining MFP 88 days ago. I always exercised but never really lost any weight. But now i've lost 21 pounds since joining MFP. It has helped me and i can say it does work.