When should I change goals?

Options
At the moment I have my goal set to 2lbs/week, which has been working fine for me. If anything, I'm losing weight at a higher rate than that, perhaps around 2.5lbs/week.

At what point should I reduce the goal, to something like 1.5lb/week. I obviously don't want to damage my body, and now I am no longer obese should I be thinking about changing my goals?

Obviously I want to lose weight as quick as possible, but in a safe way! Maybe once I break into the 210lbs and under, should I reduce my deficit target?

Some advice on this would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Replies

• ugh1
    ugh1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello. Although MFP attempts to be as accurate and generic as possible for everyone, it is extremely difficult for someone to have a "standard" in terms of everyone's weight loss. If you have any diseases you might possibly have to slow down earlier. Consult your doctor. I know many don't want to go to the doctor, and when I do say go talk to your doctor they brush it off... but, really, go see them and have a talk. In the long run, you'll be much happier.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find your body will naturally slow down on its own.

Are you just dieting, or exercising as well? If so, what kind of exercises? I ask this because you should be careful that you aren't burning muscle as well as fat. I found this out the hard way when I lost a lot of weight doing intense cardio.