Injured - Need Help

Options
Ok So on Wednesday I suffered a bad injury whilst at my roller derby training. I've ended up with a sprained ligament round my ankle and am on crutches. Prior to this I was working out with weights and cardio about 1.5/2hrs a day. I need help/advice on what to do exercise wise as not doing anything is driving me crazy - I know I can still do upperbody work (although I will have to redesign workouts so that I can stay seated) but hat about cardio etc. Please Help I'm starting to freak out a little.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question. You are going to have to dial it back and as you recover ramp it up again. If weight is a concern you will have to tighten up your intake.

This is when sports becomes a mental game. Can you believe in yourself enough to slow down for a while to come back later?

How about laps in the pool? That's about the only cardio that burns those lovely big thigh muscles for a cardio workout.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why are you freaking out? Eat in a calorie deficit and rest your injury. Exercise is for fitness and health, calorie counting is for weight loss.
  • iammantistobbogan
    Options
    I know a calorie deficit is all I need to loose weight but I love exercise so it's going to be hard to dial it down so much. Just wish I could speed up the recovery process
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you want to speed up recovery, I would suggest eating at maintenance until you heal. Focus on getting good nutrition, proper sleep, and de-stressing as much as possible. Know that your maintenance now will be much less food than when you were exercising. A good source of vitamin c and collagen should help (bone broth).

I can relate to going crazy without exercise. It sucks, but it is what it is. I don't know much about cardio alternatives, but I've seen people getting a killer workout using the arm cycle at the gym. You could also try something like pilates, with very few weight bearing positions on the legs; and then you'd have an awesome strong core for when you get back into roller derby!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I second the recommendation of the arm cycle -- it's killer. You might be able to swim with a pull bouy since then you wouldn't have to kick, but I'd get a doctor's ok for that.

Otherwise, rest and maintenance calories so you can heal. Hope you get better soon.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Punch it out :)
  • iammantistobbogan
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys - much appreciated =D