I need lower carb replacement options!

Options
I'm currently striving for 30-50-20 percentages for carbs, proteins, fats. I'm having some trouble because I LOVE my carbs and while I'm not willing to stop eating most of what I love I am ok with decreasing (1/2 a whole wheat english muffin instead of a whole one) or swapping (light soy milk has 6 carbs compared to 12 in skim milk).

Does anyone have suggestions for more swaps in order to lower carbs and/or increase proteins?

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Pro 5 protein shake.
    Organic eggs (scrambled, hard boiled)
    bacon
    almonds
    sunflower kernels
    chicken
    fish
    coconut milk or almond milk
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have a rather random question..

I live in England and therefore im English..
    But what's a "whole wheat english muffin"??
    Do you just mean like a normal double chocolate chip muffin or something?

• SharonDelorey
    Options
    They are actually similar to crumpets, but without all the holes
  • tofeelwell
    tofeelwell Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it would work for you but I allow a higher % of carbs while requiring that carbs to provide more protein and fiber. I include fiber in the nutrients I track. Fiber slows consumption of carbs and, thus, its impact.also keeps me feeling full longer.. While I've reduced my consumption of bread generally, I choose whole grain/multi-grain in breads - if the baking company avoidsor minimizes using sugars for flavoring. I also use whole wheat english muffins, particularly for sandwiches because it makes a smaller, filling sandwich. For dinners, I try to choose/cook grains like any kind of bean, barley, quinoa, whole wheat pasta etc in place of high glycemic carbs like pototoes and white rice...or just skip eating those carbs if they are served to me. If out for a meal, sometimes good carb choices are only available in hearty soups. So I eat soup. Anyway, that's oneapproach that I used that helped me achieve my target.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower makes great mock rice and mashed potatoes.Zucchini or summer squash makes delicious pasta using a spiralizer-
    http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-48297-99-Tri-Blade-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307205900&sr=8-1
    I use mine all the time, it's a totally-worth-it kitchen gadget. It can also make perfect shoestring sweet potato fries (cook 'em in the oven, don't deep fry. Almond meal or parmesan cheese makes an awesome crust on pan fried chicken or fish.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I read this fat burning book that said that soy and skim milk (all types of dairy) does not help you lose fat. Now, I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but instead of taking soy (is it organic?) or dairy, why not eat nuts or other types of non-dairy, non soy alternatives? Eggs from happy chickens (lack of a better term) gives you not only a ton of protein but it will keep you from getting hungry early.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    instead of spagetti noodles, cut spagetti squash into thin strips....boil for about 2 mins....it tastes and has the texture of real spagetti., and you can eat way more! also....you can munch on veggie stix or veggie fries(if your store sells them) instead of crackers or chips
  • Sk1nnyMoo
    Sk1nnyMoo Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi,

I read this fat burning book that said that soy and skim milk (all types of dairy) does not help you lose fat. Now, I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but instead of taking soy (is it organic?) or dairy, why not eat nuts or other types of non-dairy, non soy alternatives? Eggs from happy chickens (lack of a better term) gives you not only a ton of protein but it will keep you from getting hungry early.

I'm pretty much in love with milk. Soy or cow. Haven't tried almond yet though. I prefer it to water in my protein shakes as well. It's not really about using the milk to lose fat, I just can't live without it. =o]
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Not sure if this will help, but I am limiting my carbs and restricting my calories while maintaining a high protein%.

I use whole grain, nothing else for triscuits, thins, and bread because I know exactly how many equal a certain carb# AND they are low glycemic. I also like mult grain saltine crackers, same reason. I don't have to worry at work, I know I have enough of the right foods. Then I keep my protein separate.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Only thing I could think would be to double up on less carb-heavy vegetables in place of grains for some meals. That and replace your snacks with things like nuts, hard-boiled eggs, protein shakes, etc.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I was always over on my carbs and under on my protein. I raised my carbs to 45% and it automatically lowered my protein. It worked great for me. I still watch everything and make sure I eat Healthy non processed foods, whole grain low carb bread, lean proteins, and lots of veggies. Snacks, I eat popcorn everyday, fruit, low fat cheese and whole wheat crackers, Graham crackers, Non fat pudding, nuts and chopped veggies. If you have pasta or potatoes or rice you really have to watch portions. I usually have a half a portion. Instead of 2 oz of pasta I have an ounce. Same with rice and potatoes. I add lots of grilled veggies to everything and salad to fill me up.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing except 25 - 40 - 35 percentages. I just started a few days ago. I have added nuts for protein. Pretty much the only carbs I get now are from the All Bran I refuse to give up in the morning and when I have fruit. I am using almond milk right not but I don't like it so I may go back to soy.