How did you pick your goal weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My doc's goal weight for me is 106-115. The last time I remember numbers in that range, I was like 10 or 12. And then I got boobs. My goal weight for me is 125-135, although I'd settle for a solid 150. I'm 193 now, so quite a ways to go.
  • lennywin
    lennywin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    %BF....% Body Fat. I started lifting and changed my eating habit back in April. Every week I got more and more frustrated because I was only losing less then 1/2 lb a week. Then my trainer did my %BF. First measurement 31%. Four weeks later, 24% and the scale was only down 2.5 lbs. When she did my %BF the first time, she took a bunch of photos of me. I was seeing myself everyday in the mirror and in my mind wasn't seeing a change. Then she took photos again at my second measurement and HOLY COW...is that me? My goal is to get my %BF down into the low teens (In my dreams I want single digits!) I'm a 67 yo male and they tell me it will be very hard to build a lot of muscle. My intention is to prove them wrong. If I get my BF down without the muscle, I'll be a prime candidate for a part on The Walking Dead! Next %BF measurement September 4th.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I'd originally started out wanting to lose 50lbs, which would have put me at 280. That seemed doable to me, and actually since I've gotten close to that before, I knew it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But the idea of losing 100lbs seemed far out of my reach, so I set that as my goal. I'm determined to show myself that I can do it. ~230 is still technically overweight for my height, but to me it'd be a world of difference.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I just went to a personal trainer and he did the math for me. I'm supposed to lose 17 lb of fat and- this is the interesting part- gain 5lb of muscle. The net effect, interestingly, is the same end number as the Dukan diet calculator.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I'd originally started out wanting to lose 50lbs, which would have put me at 280. That seemed doable to me, and actually since I've gotten close to that before, I knew it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But the idea of losing 100lbs seemed far out of my reach, so I set that as my goal. I'm determined to show myself that I can do it. ~230 is still technically overweight for my height, but to me it'd be a world of difference.

Do it, even if you don't make it to 100, 90 80 70 are all good numbers too.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    108 is the lowest I can go to have a healthy BMI. I'm going with 115-120 because I know I'll want a bit of muscle.
  • laurainottawa
    laurainottawa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I picked 143 because it's the middle of my normal BMI range, but I can't remember being that low. In high school I remember being 150, but I didn't feel good at that weight, so I think I need to be at least in the 140s. I just want to feel fantastic being me. I want to be able to run, and have more energy in general.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame. I picked a number that I had weighed before and was able to maintain easily. I am 57, I am 5'8" and weigh 226 lbs. My goal weight is 170. I will check my fat percentage, when I get to that weight, to see if it is reasonable. I had input from my Jenny Craig councillor when I joined the program on my goal weight.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I kind of like this one, as I have a large frame: http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weight_calculator.html

It gave me around the same number I was thinking already anyway.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    when I first started, i did not really have a goal in mind, but figured 135 would be good. At 5"2 that is on the higher end of the bmi. After more research and finding I have a large frame (6.5 inch wrists), I know that even though its on the high side, for me that will probably be fine. However, I got down to below college weight (160), and felt really good about it and slacked for a couple years, maintaining a 5lb range. I actually had that number in the back of my mind when I started, that it would be most excellent to hit 160. Now I am about to turn 40, and am less satisfied with where I am at and decided to get back on the wagon and hit 135 before I turn 40. The range I get is 128-143, so 135 is nice in the middle.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Doctor said 170 would be ideal. BMI states 154.9 should be my max. I'm shooting for 160 and see how I am doing at that point.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is still a bit of a question mark with me.

I'm still at a point where I have fat to lose. I'm at the mid healthy range on my BMI. I guess I could stop now if I wanted to but I don't feel like I'm quite "there". I think for me, it's more about how I feel than what the number on the scales say. I could stop another pound from now - I could stop another 10 from now. It's really hard to say! :o
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I haven't grown since I was 12. When I was 13 I reached my goal weight of 110. Since I am older and with more muscle I know I don't need to go that low and so I chose 120. I'll tweak it if needed, but for now I think going there will be fine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    At my SW of 183 (I'm 5'5"), I picked 130 because (about 3 decades ago), I felt like 125-128 was really a good adult weight for me, and thought a few pounds more might be rational at age 59 . . . but I knew that was a "for now" goal.

Now that I'm getting closer (CW 144), I'm looking at myself and thinking I may still have more than 14 extra pounds on my body - but we'll see as it gets closer. This ignores any future goal adjustments that may come if, once I reach maintenance, I try to build some more muscle. . . which could be an ambitious goal at my age.

Everyone's got a bit different frame, different muscularity, different sense of what feels good - I'm not a big fan of calculators as the key to a goal weight, though they may help with an initial guesstimate.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm another who stopped growing at age 12, at 5'8". For the next 10 years I was between 135 and 145lbs; I was quite fit and looked really good.

My goal (20years later) is to be 140lbs... about. This happens to be in the middle of the BMI for my height and is what most ideal weight calculators give me.

My frame is a bit on the large side, a large medium anyways, so I doubt going lower would be a benefit for me.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think BMI is a load of bs. If you're happy with the way you LOOK and FEEL, the number shouldn't matter.

I'm 5"10 and currently weigh 251 lbs. My goal is 210. According to a BMI chart, I need to be <170 lbs to be "healthy". Yet, I have 180 lbs of lean body mass. I could be 180 lbs with 0% fat (which would mostly likely mean I'd die), but I'd still be "overweight". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ALongWayAway
    ALongWayAway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who's the same height as me and a couple of months off me in age. She looks pretty well how I want to, so I'm aiming for her weight for now (she mentioned it casually a while back). However, if I find that I like being any of the weights in between her and my current size, I'll stop at that point. To be honest, goal weight was just a number to put into MFP; I'm aiming to get fitter & healthier more than anything else