Budget Meal Ideas for 16 Hour Days

Options
Hello!

I'm a student on a tight budget looking for meal ideas that can last me though 16 hour days.
I need food that can survive multiple bus rides in a hot climate and being out of the refrigerator for at least the first 8 hours (then I will have access to a fridge).

I don't really eat dairy and meat tends to be too expensive to buy often, so the budget side of this is really important.

I already bring rice with vegetables, tuna cans, and oatmeal. If anyone has useful ideas, I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks

Replies

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Invest in a lunch box with a reusable ice pack. Both can be found at a dollar store. You can even fill a baggie with ice cubes or I use my cold can of club soda to chill. Peanut butter and jelly/honey sandwiches are my fallback when I'm tight on cash. $2 loaf of bread, $4 peanut butter, and $3 jelly, lasts the entire week for lunches.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Bananas
    peanut butter and jelly sammiches :)
    Apples
    carrots/cucumber/tomatoes (i would bring them unsliced and pack with a peeler or small pairing knife)
    Jello Pudding cups

• Hodaeia
    Hodaeia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a great idea but unfortunately off limits due to allergies.
    I'll have to look in to the lunch bag idea and see how much one costs.
    I can only buy fruit and vegetables that are in season (they are pretty much only sold when in season where live). Bananas are available now so I'll stock up on some. I think they might bruise during travel though. They'll be good in the mornings though.

Thanks for the tips!
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ramen, cans of to soup, beef jerky, Sandwich with seed butter, Look up recipes to make your own protein bar, apples, oranges, dried fruit,