Thoughts on FitBit?

Options
I want to invest in a tracker for my steps and when I'm doing fitness. The most popular one I see at BestBuy is a FitBit tracker. Next week, starting on Wednesday I will be going back to sitting at a desk all day. I only get up and walk around every few hours, and I only take a 30 minute lunch break. But I will be able to go to the gym afterwards for about an hour to an hour and a half. I don't want something that will be super sensitive if I am, for example, writing something down. Or moving things around. No tracker is going to be 100% accurate, I know, but I want to grt something that will at least tell me if I've stepped 5,000 steps in a day. And not be like 500 steps too high or too low. So would FitBit be a good investment? BestBuy has some on sale for as low as 80$. Which would be the best to get? I don't want something crazy expensive. Just something to count my steps, and how far I've gone, and how many calories I've burned.

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Many people find their Fitbit to be very accurate. I have the Flex and I LOVE it.

I know I get credit for some steps I don't take. I also know that I leave it off and lose a few steps here and there. So far, it's all balancing out. I'm thinking it ends up being off by ~100 or so steps over the course of the day.

The Zip and One clip to your pocket, belt, bra, etc, and some people prefer that. The Zip is really the basics - has a battery you have to replace, counts steps, and then helps estimate calories burned. The One has a rechargeable battery and can give you a count of floors and can be used for sleep tracking.

~Lyssa
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Keep the receipt, and return the Fitbit if you don't like it.

When you connect your accounts and enable negative calorie adjustments, MFP adjusts your daily calorie goal to TDEE minus deficit. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One. It's not a wristband. I clip it onto my waistband or pocket and it seems to be vey accurate.
  • mermaid3011
    mermaid3011 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too have a fitbit and have been wearing it every day since January 2015. In addition to following PiYo and P90 exercise and food plans I have lost 60 lbs so far and am sure that thanks to fitbit I get daily exercise and thanks to PiYo/P90 and my food plan I actually manage to lose weight on a slow but steady basis.

Hope this helps!
  • smcgu67
    smcgu67 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex and love it.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I started about three years ago with a Fitbit One (paid $90 I think). I had a great experience with it and found it highly motivating: it accurately counts steps, stairs, distance, calories expended so far that day, plus displays the time of day. I never saw that it tracked any steps while at the computer or otherwise than with real steps. You can sync the device with My Fitness Pal, which is very handy. This spring, I upgraded to a Fitbit HR because I wanted to track my heartrate. Good luck with your choice!
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit charge HR but I wonder if the calories expended is accurate. If I deduct that number from my total calorie intake is it an accurate reflection of my daily deficit. I would love to know what others think.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    I have a Fitbit charge HR but I wonder if the calories expended is accurate.

The only way to gauge the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress. I eat back 100% of my Fitbit adjustments, lost the weight, and kept it off. But I also:
    • log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly,
    • enabled negative calorie adjustments in my diary settings, and
    • log exercise in Fitbit—never MFP.
  • gr8fulgram
    gr8fulgram Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Flex! Combined with MFP I have lost 21 pounds in 70 days with no stress! I work from home so understand how hard it can be to get your steps in every day but that has made the difference for me. I walk 10,000 steps every day even if it means doing laps around my kitchen and dining room. And I am 61 years old. Good luck!
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing at the gym, are you looking to track more than just steps?