eating while traveling?

Options
I am leaving on Thursday for a very long road trip to my Usborne Books convention. I will be in the car with two other gals for 14 hours the way there and on the way back. I have to provide my own breakfasts for three days, with only the hotel restaurant and a nearby Panera to choose from. I will have to make the healthiest choices I can with the lunches and dinners we are having, and I can handle that because I'm not starting from scratch. My concern is this: I'm not eating sugar, white flour, cheese, trying not to eat most other dairy, highly processed foods, or caffeine. So what can I eat on the road and for breakfasts? I just bought some lara bars and will take some apples with me, but that doesn't really seem like a great breakfast. At home I eat steel cut oats, blueberries, soy milk and walnuts for breakfast. Can't really pack that!! :-) Any idea for me? Thanks!

Replies

• SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Gosh I don't know what to tell you. I'm going to Amsterdam in August and have the same problem. I guess the best thing to do is watch portion size and stay away from all sweets. I have a love/hate relationship with going on my trip. I love Amsterdam and want to go but know I will gain some of my weight back :sad: Good luck during your travels.
  • SpicyC
    SpicyC Posts: 2
    Options
    Pack your oats, dried fruits, and nuts in individual serving containers and then all you will need is some boiling water to pour on it each morning. If you are at a restaurant just ask for "hot water for tea". Also, Panera has soy milk.

Check out Tosca Reno's Clean Eating books. She has a lot of great ideas for travel and packing a cooler with healthy foods for travel.

Good luck!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    You can make cereal bars with your steel cut oats. (there is a recipe on here somewhere--just go to search). Wrap them individually in saran wrap. Have almonds. Clementines are easy to pack along.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Eggs? Hardboiled eggs are quick and great on the go. I boil a few at a time and take them with me. Also, I like Emerald cocoa roast almonds, pecans, kashi bars, peanut butter (no sugar added or PB2) with apples and celery sticks, and trail mix as long as it doesn't have too much sugar.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Almonds, peanuts, that kind of thing. it is a good source of healthy fats/protein and you can get them in their raw state so you don't have to worry about sodium levels. These are my lifesavers on road trips- I am going to the beach in 2 weeks and will definitely be bringing them with me! Protein shakes would be really helpful too.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Oh and I agree that you CAN pack your usual breakfast to take with you. You can buy soy or almond milk in small cartons that don't need refrigeration :)

And Muscle Milk (no milk in it) makes a light chocolate shake that is no sugar added. You can buy them in a 4 pack and throw em in a small cooler cuz they are NOT good unless refrigerated.