Starting Ketogenic

Options
My name is Heather and I'm trying to follow te Ketogenic diet. This far I haven't been fully successful buy with this app it's so much easier to track macros. I'm 165 lbs and hope to lose 15-20 pounds. Any women that are in a similar situation or who have words of encouragement I would love to connect with. :)

Replies

• AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded to the MFP 'Pro' so I could keep track of my carbs more easily. I was doing really well for about a month when I went on vacation and totally fell off the wagon. The first few weeks are the hardest, but once you get over the 'carb flu' it just gets easier.

Good luck!
  • HBshiatsu
    HBshiatsu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I haven't made a week of it yet but I hope to actually get into ketosis! I have tried numerous times and haven't given up yet!!! My craving are just so big!
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Try to lower your carb intake in increments. Doing it all at once can make the "flu" a lot worse, as well as the cravings.
    Pre-hardboil eggs and keep them in the fridge. Also if you like nuts, pre-portion them out and keep 1-2 portions in your purse as a go-to snack.
    Drink LOTS of water. And make sure you are getting your Sodium and Potassium goals.
    This website helped me a lot as well when I started:
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/01/3-day-keto-kickstart-menu-plan.html
  • bradsmummy82
    bradsmummy82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I am trying to follow my own (and lots of other's) keto diet, i started monday 24th aug and have lost 9lbs already! add me if you want i dont have many friends, 1st few days are tough but im finding it easy now x drink plenty of water x good luck x
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Make sure your electrolytes are stable. Keep track of sodium, potassium and magnesium. Make sure you get plenty of water, and then drink some more! Also, be prepared for your workouts to suffer a little bit as you become keto-adapted, but once you are adapted you can workout as normal.
  • HBshiatsu
    HBshiatsu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think paying attention to salt, magnesium etc is a good point and something I have missed. Thanks!
  • vapoetry
    vapoetry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the keto life as well. This is my first week, and it's difficult! Does anyone have suggestions on how to eat more healthy fats without cranking up the protein count? I've tried the butter-in-your-coffee-or-tea method and my palate does not like it! lol
  • ColinsMommaOC
    Options
    vapoetry wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the keto life as well. This is my first week, and it's difficult! Does anyone have suggestions on how to eat more healthy fats without cranking up the protein count? I've tried the butter-in-your-coffee-or-tea method and my palate does not like it! lol
    Avocado has a lot of healthy fat. Also coconut oil (well most of your oils tbh) will increase the fat on whatever protein you cook it in. pecans, almonds etc. are also great sources of fats. Be careful with nuts though because the carbs in them sneak up if you aren't watching your portions.
  • MrsShillingford
    Options
    vapoetry wrote: »

I started on 8.26 and have lost 5lbs so far. Although I love carbs, I haven't had huge issues with craving. Below are my tips:
    1. Drink lots of water. Can't emphasize enough. I keep a water bottle at my desk at work and just fill it up all day. When I think I'm hungry, I realize I'm just thirsty.
    2. Pick foods you love to eat, but don't usually. I never eat salmon or bacon, but I've had them three times in the last week because I love 'em, and since I'm not having carbs, might as well include other foods I adore.
    3. Use lot of oils hen you cook. I've been using a ton of olive oil in my cooking and in my salad dressings. It's a great way to get the fat in without literally "chewing the fat" in your beef, etc.
    4. Cheese as a snack. It's an easy and outstanding snack.
    5. Avoid alcohol. At least for the first two weeks. Stops you from burning calories.

Good luck!

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Since that's a diet to treat a medical condition (usually epilepsy in children), you should consult with the
    doctor who put you on it if you have questions, or see your dietician.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet
    The ketogenic diet is a special high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that helps to control seizures in some people with epilepsy. It is prescribed by a physician and carefully monitored by a dietitian ...

side effects that might occur if the person stays on the diet for a long time are:
    Kidney stones
    High cholesterol levels in the blood
    Dehydration
    Constipation ...

Because the diet does not provide all the vitamins and minerals found in a balanced diet, the dietician will recommend vitamin and mineral supplements. The most important of these are calcium and vitamin D (to prevent thinning of the bones), iron, and folic acid.
  • kickstartpro
    kickstartpro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! I am starting keto. Add me!
  • chachylove
    chachylove Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 . Looking for a ton of keto friends to help me stay on track and see what others are doing for success. Add me ...add me .....add me
  • Squirrelly123
    Squirrelly123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to both Keto and MFP. I'd love to build a group for support and idea sharing. Feel free to add me.
  • sandradbaggio
    sandradbaggio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That sounds groovy!
  • alabidammie
    alabidammie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I started the keto diet about 7 days ago. And its so difficult to do no 2, Sorry to be gross but my poop has been really hard and GREEN! Should I be worried? I am very worried actually. I have gone only 2ce in 7 days and pre keto I go every morning. HELP!
  • ColinsMommaOC
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Since that's a diet to treat a medical condition (usually epilepsy in children), you should consult with the
    doctor who put you on it if you have questions, or see your dietician.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet

It is also good for other health issues not just childhood epilepsy. Diabetics benefit greatly from it. IMO you should read more than one article about a diet or "eating style" before forming opinions and sharing them...
  • Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just started Atkins a week ago, and I'm down 6.2 lbs and feeling awesome.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @HBshiatsu I started nutritional ketosis a year ago to manage my arthritis pain and it worked in just 30 days. Really 90 days because for two months I tried but could not get my daily carbs <50 grams so I could get into a state of ketosis. Well after two months and time running out health wise for me I just left foods containing sugars and or grains cold turkey. It was a hellish two weeks for this old carb abuser but a year later I am still eating LCHF because it manages my pain well. One side effect that I did not expect was in 6 months off sugars and grains my 40 years of IBS was 'cured' and has not returned. Another side effect I lost another 30 pounds eating 2600 calories daily.

• mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello all... i too am new to this diet. I read info on it for about a week before doing it... my first week was okay, but a struggle to find things that are low carb. I didnt realize how many things i thought were low, really weren't. I did manage to stay below 50g. This is my second week and so far, much better. My biggest weaknesses are tortilla chips ... especially when PMS... which is coming up, so this will be the biggest challenge. Wish me luck.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @mnalsa83 it sounds like you are off to a good start. I have been at this a year to manage my pain by diet only and it is working very well. My first two months were hit and miss because I was still toying in the carb world. Best of success.