Topic maybe a bit TMI but I need to ask

Options
Does anyone else have an issue with not pooing and having no weight loss? I have not had a bowel moment for a week now and I gained 5lbs!! I am so frustrated! I have had some really high calorie burn days so if you look at my food diary that is why I have some high cal intake days. But 5LBS and no bowel movement. I have upped my fiber supplement intake, exercised like I was supposed to, and ate 4 cups of cherries so what is the hold up???

If anyone has had this problem or suggestions how to get things going would be great!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have been fortunate not to have this problem, although it's a common one for dieters.

I took a look through your food diary and I think I see the problem. You get very little fiber in your diet and eat a lot of protein and starch. MFP has ridiculously low fiber goals as every health organization on the planet recommends a minimum of 25 grams of fiber per day, and you often don't meet MFP's goal. And the protein and starches can really bind you up on their own.

I wouldn't back off the protein, but I would try to get more fiber and more water. Eating veggies would help, but you could also buy some ground flaxseed and add it to your protein shakes or yogurt, or salads, etc. It really doesn't taste like much of anything and is barely noticeable, but in addition to providing fiber it also provides Omega 3s and lignans.
  • tilie82
    tilie82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Decrease some of that fiber it is a bulking agent. Add some more water and take an over the counter colace. If you don't have a bowel movement soon you may start to obstruct. If you have any nausea or vomiting get to an er right away. Also yyou could try an enema. Start adding at few more cups of water on days you work out a lot, it may be that your fluid volume is staying in vascular system and not giving you any in the colon to help your bowels.
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    I have been fortunate not to have this problem, although it's a common one for dieters.

I took a look through your food diary and I think I see the problem. You get very little fiber in your diet and eat a lot of protein and starch. MFP has ridiculously low fiber goals as every health organization on the planet recommends a minimum of 25 grams of fiber per day, and you often don't meet MFP's goal. And the protein and starches can really bind you up on their own.

I wouldn't back off the protein, but I would try to get more fiber and more water. Eating veggies would help, but you could also buy some ground flaxseed and add it to your protein shakes or yogurt, or salads, etc. It really doesn't taste like much of anything and is barely noticeable, but in addition to providing fiber it also provides Omega 3s and lignans.

Thanks for the advise. I am supplementing fiber by using benefiber and metamuciln 3 times a day and as for water that is all I drink. I usually hit that 12 8oz mark before noon by then I stop tracking the water. I will get some flaxseed to add into my cottage cheese and protein shakes. Thanks again!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Not pooing will definitely make you bloaty. It's also not healthy. Try a gentle laxative and see if that works. You should see a doctor if this doesn't work. You could have a blockage or another medical issue that could cause problems.
  • janel814
    Options
    Decrease some of that fiber it is a bulking agent. Add some more water and take an over the counter colace. If you don't have a bowel movement soon you may start to obstruct. If you have any nausea or vomiting get to an er right away. Also yyou could try an enema. Start adding at few more cups of water on days you work out a lot, it may be that your fluid volume is staying in vascular system and not giving you any in the colon to help your bowels.

Thank you for the suggestions. I drink water all day, it is the only fluid I intake with the exception of the occasional diet no cal soda. When I started this journey I cut out all fluids and just recently reintroduced them. I would prefer to stay away from any of the laxative or artificial ways to get a bowel movement, just b/c that was one of the quick fixes I used back in the day of my yoyo weight losing. Thanks again.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My helper is sunflower seeds and lots of water. Also try 1/4 c. sunflower seeds and 1/4 c. organic apple juice poured over them (kinda like a cereal)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Take a mild laxative to get rid of the build up this time and then just keep your fiber and water intake up to prevent it from happening again. Maybe introduce a prune per day at breakfast or for a snack. They sound all "old person-like" but believe me, they taste almost like candy. Especially those Sunsweet 1's.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Add fiber from Vegetables. Salad with tons of varietal items such as: celery, green / red pepper, radishes, red onion, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, and top with light dressing and sunflower seeds. Try to stay away from processed foods. Orange juice first thing in the a.m. Good luck.
  • stephanie_carrion
    stephanie_carrion Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problems myself with regularity, but I have a son who has bowel issues and a glass of Plum Smart Light juice and/or the new Jello sugar free Live Active chocolate bliss pudding keep him regular without having to use medication.
  • stephanie_carrion
    stephanie_carrion Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    each is only 60 calories, by the way.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    plum smart light juice
    flavor n fiber gnu bars...12g of fiber! <3
    fruits n veggies throughout the day
    protein shakes with lot of fiber
    fiber cereals like fiber one
    fish instead of meat
    lots of water

can you tell i've had this problem too? it was pretty bad in the beginning and then i quit smoking and it was like a complete halt! now i'm just starting to get back to normal :)
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    8 ounces warmed water, two teaspoons lemon juice, and IF you want / need to sweeten it at all use a teaspoon of honey. Drink right before bedtime. :drinker:
  • janel814
    Options
    plum smart light juice
    flavor n fiber gnu bars...12g of fiber! <3
    fruits n veggies throughout the day
    protein shakes with lot of fiber
    fiber cereals like fiber one
    fish instead of meat
    lots of water

can you tell i've had this problem too? it was pretty bad in the beginning and then i quit smoking and it was like a complete halt! now i'm just starting to get back to normal :)

I feel your pain!!! When I started this journey I was a smoker then I had a breast reduction and my plastic surgeon advised that I quit so I would heal better. Then my migrains increased from withdrawls which promted a trip to the DR where he suggested upping the fiber. SO since then I have done everything I could to do that and it seemed to be working but this last week NOTHING, hence my posting the question. Thanks for the advise.

I guess as much as I don't want to do it looks like I need to schedule a DR appt and take a laxative which can be painful since they don't always work.
  • janel814
    Options
    8 ounces warmed water, two teaspoons lemon juice, and IF you want / need to sweeten it at all use a teaspoon of honey. Drink right before bedtime. :drinker:

THANKS!!!! Trying to stay as natural as possible.
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    yep i feel ur pain i put on 2 pounds even though vie been under calorie an workout like a beast so i had to drink black coffee this morning it cleans me out pretty good.
  • janel814
    Options
    yep i feel ur pain i put on 2 pounds even though vie been under calorie an workout like a beast so i had to drink black coffee this morning it cleans me out pretty good.

OOOOOWWWW that is a nother good one I didn't think of COFFEE!! Thanks!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    when i first started and i wasn't eating as much grease (i quit fast food at the time) i was plugged for over a week. miralax or phillips helps and once you clean out the "crap" so to speak thats been sittin there from your previous eating habits your body will flow better. :)
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks for the advise. I am supplementing fiber by using benefiber and metamuciln 3 times a day and as for water that is all I drink. I usually hit that 12 8oz mark before noon by then I stop tracking the water. I will get some flaxseed to add into my cottage cheese and protein shakes. Thanks again!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    [/quote]

Don't just use fiber supplements, get your fiber from real foods. Fruits and veggies, less starchy carbs. Starchy carbs tend to absorb a lot of water and dry out the stool, up your water intake ( a good rule of thumb is to drink 1/2 your water weight in ozs ex: If I weigh 200 lbs, I would drink 100 ozs of water). I had this issue quite a bit after a surgery last year and these are the things I needed to do: lots of natural fiber, prune juice (much better if it is warmed up and add a little apple juice to it), 5 dried apricots and a cup of warm water, flaxseed once a day, stool softener before bedtime until things start moving, then just continue with the tips provided. Exercise helps the bathrooming as well
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    They changed my hours at work and I go in an hour earlier. This has messed up my system. I normally go in the morn and now its like my body hasn't adjusted to this change and I find it really difficult to go at work. I just wish my body would adjust.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

True, coffee can get things moving for a lot of people. I tend to 'go' shortly after my morning cup!