Eating the same things

Options
When im in the right frame of mind, I'm quite happy eating a restricted cal diet but I find that I eat the same things because I know they are healthy and filling at the same time! I'm guessing it's probably not the right thing to do??

Breakfast tends to be either 2 boiled egg with wholemeal bread or an omelette or bran flakes with milk.
Lunch more often than not is a sandwich
Dinner at the moment I seem to be favouring wholemeal pitta bread filled with chicken and pepper cooked in a piri piri sauce with a little cheese and salad.

I am one of these people that could eat the same thing day in day out and not be bored or bothered.

Is it ok to be like this? I feel my diet is pretty varied, have fruit/veg/protein/carbs/sugars etc and never go over the recommended amount for most things except protein which doesn't worry me at all! But I definatly go through phases of eating the same things for an extended period of time.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If that's working for you, go with it. I'm the same way. I eat mostly the same stuff every day. Every now and then I throw in a wildcard, especially on the weekends. If you're eating mostly wholesome clean foods, then it's not an issue.

For dinner, instead of eating chicken every night, I try to alternate between chicken, pork, fish. Maybe you can do something like that to create a little variety, if you feel like it.
  • Griffonics
    Griffonics Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do the same things. If you like your food and you eat a balanced diet (though it looks lie you should eat more vegetables and fruit, be careful of your vitamin and mineral intake, and ensure you are getting enough), it doesn't matter if you eat the same things, as long as they meet your nutritional needs, including all your varied micro and macro nutrients.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, so far i have not had problems.. if i like it i can eat it all the time.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If it works - go with it.

I'm an extremely picky eater and tend to the eat the same thing day in and day out. Mostly because I am so picky and don't really like to try new things.

I think as long as your body is responding well to it - you're fine. However, if you start to see a plateau or whatever I would switch it up some. :)
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I am doing pretty well exactly the same thing. I have vegetables and fruit with every meal, same breakfast (1 scoop protein powder with one banana, apple, carrot and 1 cup berries all blended), I make my lunches for the week (normally chicken/turkey/tofu (one of those) with lots of veggies cooked and an apple and supper involves tomato/ bell pepper salad, yogurt with almonds, dried cottage cheese, humus, orange/pear, a slice of dark rye bread, tuna...
    Anyway first of all it is very varied, has plenty of protein and fibre for the day, lots of vitamins/minerals, low in fats, next to no processed foods, no artifiicial sweeteners mostly and is very tasty and never boring b/c of all the different parts. Saves me tons of time figuring out calories and protein/fiber etc. Life is good.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Took a quick "peek" at your diary. Looks fine to me. If it is working for you and you're not bored with it, it's all good. Most times I am quite happy eating the same things on a regular basis. I do vary it a bit as my mood changes.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Dr Oz recommends eating the same foods for breakfast and lunch. A lot of the reason why people get overwhelmed on a diet is because they can't figure out what to eat. This makes it a little less complicated. So I think what your doing is ok!
  • losriama
    losriama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah agree with most people, if you are happy eating the same stuff over and over, then it's o.k.

I personally try to for dinners (at least 3 times a week) a serving of steam vegetable with "smart balance" butter and protein (in the form of grilled chicken as well as fish for the omega 3).

Keep up the good work!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz recommends eating the same foods for breakfast and lunch. A lot of the reason why people get overwhelmed on a diet is because they can't figure out what to eat. This makes it a little less complicated. So I think what your doing is ok!

Perfect explaination. I think sometimes too much variety is what gets us in trouble! We have it and we want more of it. Sticking to a regimen is very beneficial! It doesn't leave room for giving in to other things if those are the only things you have on hand!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do the same too because it is easier to track and I know I am getting the correct number of calories and nutrition. It hasn't hurt me, in fact I think it has really helped me to de-stress about food and eating in general.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    wow! I tend to eat the same stuff too and was wondering if others did this also, guess I have my answer :smile:
  • koukla702
    koukla702 Posts: 171
    Options
    If I eat the same things week to week my weight loss stalls - I have to switch it up w/ new recipes etc.
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and lunch I switch between the same things and only change with the weather hot out = fruit salads and yogurt cold oatmeal and hot cider with fruits lunch is chicken steamed veggies and rice in a wrap mostly sometimes a pita. I know that I need to eat protein in the morning and I keep meaning to add some but i get too busy at night to fix anything and in the morning its that the kids need me and i work on what they need. Dinner is where I have some fun I love to try out new things and I take the time when the kids are playing to cook rice and fish are my new toys for the week.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing-- in part because I have kids and it gets OLD to try and be creative.

I have been eating oatmeal every morning for about two years, except on weekends :)

I don't get bored, either.

Best,

Debbiee
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i generally eat the same meals constantly and it's never been a problem for me when dropping the weight

i can, and generally do, eat the same meal for weeks running before getting bored
  • nhgirl30
    nhgirl30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I say if you aren't bored and feel satisfied eating the same things everyday won't hurt.
  • makcarly
    makcarly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the same thing for breakfast and dinner. I tend to have the same thing for lunch for a few days and then change it to a new item for the next few days. It's working for me and I am not bored with it since what I am eating is super tasty.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If I eat the same things week to week my weight loss stalls - I have to switch it up w/ new recipes etc.

I have the same problem, I get into a rut and I could eat the same thing every day for every meal, but I find that after a while the weight loss stalls. I try to go on a two or three day rotation and mix it up. I only have about 2 breakfasts and 3 lunches I ever make! Good luck and keep on doing what ever works!