Depressed and unmotivated

Options
When you're down, is it harder for you to get motivated to eat right and exercise? Right now all I want to do is sleep and eat. My husband and I are having financial problems from him being out of work for 5 1/2 months (finally back to work now!), I'm having health and job problems. I know it's not going to solve anything and I feel better working out and eating right, just sometimes it doesn't seem worth the effort :ohwell:

Replies

• helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Eating won't break the cycle. Any improvement in your mood from eating will be short lived. I hope you manage to refrain and find a new coping mechanism. :flowerforyou:
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your hardships. I have been going through some myself lately. It is easy to take the downward spiral. However, for some reason, I have chosen to break that spiral. I've struggled with depression for years and years, but now things have changed. Even just doing a bit of exercise or cooking myself one healthy meal a day makes me feel better about myself. There are so many things going wrong that I can't seem to control, but at least I can control how I feel about my body. Exercise is great for depression and for me just getting a little sunshine can do wonders. Hang in there. You're not alone.
  • losriama
    losriama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well, all I can say is that if you have made it this far in life, it's definitely worth the effort. I know how hard it can be having a husband out of work (mine is also the same) but don't let that let you down because being sad and depress is definitely not going to solve the situation or make it better for that matter.

I suggest you to get out of the house, even if it's just to take a walk around the neighborhood to at least clear your mind, that way you are not constantly thinking about food or sleep. Being active will give you some more energy.

Just hang in there, things will improve and don't give up on yourself and the opportunity to be happy no matter what!!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It is worth the effort! Getting healthy will change so many aspects of your life! By staying positive things you aren't even trying to change will change for the better! I had a great experience with this recently. I had already started losing weight being on MFP, but then Lent came along and I decided that I would give up what I called my "victim to my circumstances" attitude which mostly included things like, "I can't exercise because I work full time and commute an hour each way." "I can't exercise because I want to spend time with my husband and son (doing what? watching tv with them? we already do a lot of stuff together)." "Let's go out because I am too tired to cook because of my long drive." Etc...you get the picture...I felt like my life circumstances were sucking my life away. I was the one sucking my life away! I haven't looked back since then! This is my life and I need to utilize my time wisely because of my current circumstances, but am I a victim to them? Nope :) You can do this!
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Dig deep! Prayer changes everything and its all mental..Smile anyway honey..most people have some sort of either personal, financial, job, etc problems..But you are blessed in spite of. You have life and living life...You are even trying to make your life all it can be by working out and eating healthier..Believe it for yourself.. Things will get better just wait and see...
  • sturgill
    sturgill Posts: 118
    Options
    I have been there - and your right it is better if you do the eating right and exercise but sometimes you just can't- don't give up and take it a day at a time hecl take it an hour at a time if you have to . you will get back on track . I will be praying for you
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I find that eating better has helped my mood lift as well. I have been eating healthier since May 14 and have lost 15 lbs. I feel better about myself and have more energy. I had to leave my job in November due to medical reasons and it is/was very stressful financially, so I understand your dilemma. But doing something active will get your mind off of everything, and since your husband is back at work now, hopefully things will be looking up for you! :) If you feel the need to snack just do so in moderation. Fresh fruits like strawberries and oranges have the sugar we crave, while we are still making healthier choices. Since you came here for help, I can tell you DO want this, you just don't know how to go about getting started. Just take baby steps and do what you can. Getting into a routine is how it all starts. :)

Good luck!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I am sorta there right now, too. I am sending you some good vibes. Send me some back. :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Dig deep! Prayer changes everything and its all mental..Smile anyway honey..most people have some sort of either personal, financial, job, etc problems..But you are blessed in spite of. You have life and living life...You are even trying to make your life all it can be by working out and eating healthier..Believe it for yourself.. Things will get better just wait and see...

yes! agree with this...prayer changes everything! :) that was another part of this process for me, i surrendered it to God because I have no idea how to lose weight and I knew I couldn't do this on my own!
  • brsadriyev
    Options
    I am sure that most of us can give you the been there, done that response - followed up by the smile, it will get better motivator. I find that those comments just add to my depressed state. However - those might be the pick-me ups you need. If that is the case - the sun will come out tomorrow. If not - try what I do...I pick one or two things that are contributing to the sadness that I CAN CONTROL (there are things that are beyond your control) and change/fix/modify them. Don't try to repair the whole picture all at once - change some details. Change begets change. Lastly - after I do a fix or two, my mental health gets its best medicine from being around my kids doing something silly. What gives you that mental boost? Know what it is and get it as much as possible.

Running has always been my best physical boost. Kids are my mental boost. And my spiritual boost is finding 15 minutes to relax my brain and being thankful for what and who I have in my life. Hope you can fill in your lists. Good luck!
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help everyone! Really, your advice and just your caring means so much to me.
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me ... not so much the eating, but the not working out. Nothing that any of us ( who would love to say the magic words) can say will really make you do anything different. You have to decide every minute of every hour what YOU are going to do next. Don't think in terms of days.....Every new minute is another chance you have. Unfortunately this one is on you. Some days you just have to put on some running shoes and a baseball hat to hide the unshowered hair, get your ipod, and walk out the front door. The next day you do it again. That being said I want to thank you because just knowing someone else has to make the decision this minute has motivated me to get up and put on my baseball hat : ) Hang in there go go go .......xoxoxo
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me ... not so much the eating, but the not working out. Nothing that any of us ( who would love to say the magic words) can say will really make you do anything different. You have to decide every minute of every hour what YOU are going to do next. Don't think in terms of days.....Every new minute is another chance you have. Unfortunately this one is on you. Some days you just have to put on some running shoes and a baseball hat to hide the unshowered hair, get your ipod, and walk out the front door. The next day you do it again. That being said I want to thank you because just knowing someone else has to make the decision this minute has motivated me to get up and put on my baseball hat : ) Hang in there go go go .......xoxoxo

I'm glad I helped someone out! I know I just need to do it, and that I'm my own worst enemy. I just am hoping to have support to overcome it
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    deffintely add some form of exercise...it will help with the depression,, i know.....as for eating, your in the right place MFP is a great site ...i was on it for a few months then got off the wagon after the holidays and now i'm back......good luck
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The one thing that helps me is knowing each moment is a new opportunity to do something different, different from eating & sleeping. Also, if I think too much about the effort & time it takes to go workout or take a walk I usually can talk myself out of doing it. Get dressed, plan to do something you enjoy, walking, a class, see a friend, anything, your mind will follow. I'm here for you.

I'm glad I helped someone out! I know I just need to do it, and that I'm my own worst enemy. I just am hoping to have support to overcome it