Killing Shins

Options
satch45
satch45 Posts: 126 Member
I love to go out for a run but after a good run I am unable to run for a couple of days due to killer shin pain. Does anyone know of good ways to alleviate or lessen this kind of shin pain?

Thanks,

-Russ

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints.

What shoes are you wearing? Good quality running shoes, selected by a specialty running store, less than 6 months old and less than 300-500 miles on them? If not, it might be time for new shoes.

What surfaces do you run on? Try moving to a softer surface. From softest to hardest: grass, rubberized track, dirt, asphalt and concrete.

You can also try decreasing your mileage and adding more rest days, but sometimes total rest is needed to heal shin splints.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    They're called shin splints if you want to google it for other remedies, the only one I've ever used is ice! The easiest way to do it is to put water in little kid sized paper cups, freeze it and then rub them up and down your shins. As the ice melts away, peel down the paper cup. Do this until the ice is gone. Keep some ready and waiting in the freezer! You could probably use ice packs, but I like how the paper cup gives you a time frame to keep going :)
  • myanko
    myanko Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch before and after you run. Icing helps too especially after your run. Freeze some Styrofoam cups with some water to use to ice them you can peel down the cup as the ice melts-rub the shins up and down. Also make sure you are slowing down at the end of your run for a cool down, not just stopping the run, but slowing down to jog end then end with a good 200meters. I've had them before and they are tough to get rid of. Good Luck:)
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints.

What shoes are you wearing? Good quality running shoes, selected by a specialty running store, less than 6 months old and less than 300-500 miles on them? If not, it might be time for new shoes.

What surfaces do you run on? Try moving to a softer surface. From softest to hardest: grass, rubberized track, dirt, asphalt and concrete.

You can also try decreasing your mileage and adding more rest days, but sometimes total rest is needed to heal shin splints.

Yeah. I had the same issue before. I got some New Balance running shoes, and watched if my feet were straight when they landed on the surface. Some people point their toes out as they run. That can cause is too I read.
  • holliehhobbie
    holliehhobbie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started working out. All the research I did said I needed better arch support and shoes. My feet roll in b/c I have high arches and my knees turn in. Now the correct muscles hurt!
    I went to a specialty foot/show store and got custom shoe inserts and shoes. You can go to any sports store and get pre-made shoe inserts as well.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are agony you poor thing. Rest and Ice, are pretty much the only things that will fix it. I needed 5 days off for mildish splints. Sometimes if you don't rest enough you'll think they are ok but then the pain comes back on running. You can run through it usually, the pain will ease up in 5 mins or so but they won't get better like that.

To prevent them good shoes professionally fitted are the answer.
  • satch45
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advise, I will try these great suggestions and see how the shins feel then. Thanks again!

-Russ
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are awful - I suffered terribly from shin splints when I first started running. I bought better shoes (Asics) and they went away almost overnight. If they're really painful you should check with your doctor to make sure you haven't got a stress fracture. My doctor also recommended massaging them directly with ibuprofen gel. It REALLY hurts but did provide some immediate relief. As the others have also said - icing them also works. Good luck (get new shoes!)... :bigsmile:
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with almost everyone esle. I had shin splints for forever. I remember at one point thinking they would never go away. I got special running shoes and it helped alot.
  • satch45
    Options
    I'm currently using fairly new Nike Air Cross Training shoes. I don't run long, 2-3 miles per session. I'm thinking of switching shoes though if it will help.

-Russ
  • rmich222
    rmich222 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'll just say I have suffered from shin splints for years...

I used to ice them with frozen peas etc..

I went to a real running store last year and they watched me run a little, recommened a shoe, and I have had no issues since!
    I also do a lot of my cardio on my elliptical now also though
  • rovert69
    rovert69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I as well have always suffered from shin splints till this year. Some of the things I have worked on are different shoes, really getting a good stretch in my calf muscle, and shortening my stride. Look up about landing mid sole rather that heel striking. Good luck.