I'll pay you $1,000 to....

Options
Throw my smart phone into a lake. Im in this phone more than im in my life and I need help. Anyone feel the same? Advice?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have no advice but I know how you feel. Last summer in the middle of a 9 day motorcycle camping trip, my phone apparently died. I started wigging out and having a panic attack. But then it turned out that it was just the charger that had stopped working.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    That's why I refuse to get a smart phone. I'm online 24/7 already. I don't need another screen to stare at!
  • xxMsComptonxx
    Options
    I'm addicted.
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I will take the $1000 to do it :-)

I hear you though!
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! Just a few minutes ago my kids were playing together. My daughter was pretending to be me, and my son was pretending to be her kid. I heard her say "be quiet, son, I'm texting someone!" I was like....omg...do I really do that?? :(
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    That's why I refuse to get a smart phone. I'm online 24/7 already. I don't need another screen to stare at!
    I'm totallly with you there!! Smart phone= time sucker
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I tell you what, I will throw your phone in a lake, you pay me $1000, and I will give you enough to buy another phone...Deal?

I can't live without my iPhone4. I am hopelessly addicted to it in so many ways...
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I work around computers and smartphones all the time, so I understand they can be useful or a wasteful time-sucker. :)

1. Perhaps set your phone to turn itself off and on-have it auto power down during hours where you know you don't need it.

2. If you know you're about to be in an activity that doesn't require the phone, leave it in your car, at home, or simply turn it off.

3. Turn off the ringer so it won't "bug" you that there's an email/tweet/update, etc.

4. Uninstall any apps on it that are "fun", but you don't really need. Fewer apps, less distraction.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I tell you what, I will throw your phone in a lake, you pay me $1000, and I will give you enough to buy another phone...Deal?

I can't live without my iPhone4. I am hopelessly addicted to it in so many ways...
    Life without my Iphone 4 would be no life at all.... :sad:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've successfully avoided the 'cell phone' revolution. I do have a cell phone, but only because my guy has a plan for more than 1. I would GLADLY go back to having a home phone. I don't call people. They don't call me. Sometimes I use my phone as a flashlight when I wake up in the morning. That's about all I do with it. For $40 a month? That is one expensive flashlight.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am an addict too!!
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    im addicted to it as well, but i had them take internet off, and ive been doing a LOT BETTER and Saving money too!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Sorry buddy, I can't help ya! I am so addicted to my phone. I had an anxiety attack when I dropped my phone in snow last year. It was dead and I only had an hour before apple closed to get a new one. I raced to apple just in time for a new one. i didnt even care how much a new phone cost, i would've paid damn near anything.

One month, I checked my phone bill to see how many text messages I sent.....17,462! Yes that is right seventeen thousand four hundred sixty two. I didn't even want to know how much media i streamed. Thank God for unlimited!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Throw my smart phone into a lake. Im in this phone more than im in my life and I need help. Anyone feel the same? Advice?

I think a big part of weight gain in American's is due to technology advancements.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how crippled some people have become. Cannot survive without a cell phone. Or FB. Or MFP. Or Video Games. Or tweeting, twitting, sexting whatever.

Disconnect. Go for a walk. Talk to someone over lunch (with your phone TURNED OFF!) Relate to someone without a device. Look up from your phone, computer or TV screen and do something.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how crippled some people have become. Cannot survive without a cell phone. Or FB. Or MFP. Or Video Games. Or tweeting, twitting, sexting whatever.

Disconnect. Go for a walk. Talk to someone over lunch (with your phone TURNED OFF!) Relate to someone without a device. Look up from your phone, computer or TV screen and do something.

My family lives an hour and a half away. most of my closest friends live in the US (I'm in Canada). Without technology I would never get to talk to/see any of them. It's very easy to say disconnect when your social network doesn't span 4000 miles.

I love my phone! it is a complete business expenses...so I have no issues with using it lots. I also don't feel any guilt about using it. I can run my entire business from my phone.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options

My family lives an hour and a half away. most of my closest friends live in the US (I'm in Canada). Without technology I would never get to talk to/see any of them. It's very easy to say disconnect when your social network doesn't span 4000 miles.

I love my phone! it is a complete business expenses...so I have no issues with using it lots. I also don't feel any guilt about using it. I can run my entire business from my phone.

People run their whole life from their phone. Sad. I see people all the time that can't even hold a steady conversation with the person sitting right next to them, because they are constantly checking their texts. You CAN survive without your phone. You choose not too. It's not even like most of these people are sharing anything important. It's a lot of LOL's. LMAO's, etc. If we didn't find it necessary to tweet the color of our socks, maybe we could jhold a real conversation with the person in front of us. We don't have to be accessible 24/7.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options

People run their whole life from their phone. Sad. I see people all the time that can't even hold a steady conversation with the person sitting right next to them, because they are constantly checking their texts. You CAN survive without your phone. You choose not too. It's not even like most of these people are sharing anything important. It's a lot of LOL's. LMAO's, etc. If we didn't find it necessary to tweet the color of our socks, maybe we could jhold a real conversation with the person in front of us. We don't have to be accessible 24/7.

Actually I can't survive without my phone...I run at least 50% of my business from my phone. I am self employed and it is a tool I need. I can't just sit down and have a conversation with my closest friends. My 2 best friends live 1 1/2 hours away. My other great friends live in Tucson, California, Wisconsin, Seattle, and Dallas. How am I supposed to communicate with these people without a phone or computer? I travel to see them all...and when I am with them (and not on a business trip) my phone is in my purse. In my "previous life" I was on call 24-7. I slept with my phone as my job required it.

So I actually take issue with you saying I choose not to put down my phone. My phone is how I stay connected to the people I love. I wish they all lived down the road...so we could have lunch daily. Not part of my life. Situations for everyone are different.

and the irony isn't lost that this conversation is being held on a networking site. LOL
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Actually I can't survive without my phone...I run at least 50% of my business from my phone. I am self employed and it is a tool I need. I can't just sit down and have a conversation with my closest friends. My 2 best friends live 1 1/2 hours away. My other great friends live in Tucson, California, Wisconsin, Seattle, and Dallas. How am I supposed to communicate with these people without a phone or computer? I travel to see them all...and when I am with them (and not on a business trip) my phone is in my purse. In my "previous life" I was on call 24-7. I slept with my phone as my job required it.

So I actually take issue with you saying I choose not to put down my phone. My phone is how I stay connected to the people I love. I wish they all lived down the road...so we could have lunch daily. Not part of my life. Situations for everyone are different.

and the irony isn't lost that this conversation is being held on a networking site. LOL

Business protocol "improved" with a phone. That doesn't mean it can't be done without a cell phone. I am kind of in the process of starting my own business, i am restricted due to some rules and regulations of some sites, it's only temporarily though, it brought me to a grinding halt. When I was up and running good, the phone did help me a lot. That doesn't mean I couldn't have done my business without my phone.

Another thing, about the text messages when you're with a friend. My friend does it all the time, checking facebook, and his text messages and stuff. That stuff can wait. I can understand doing it in a business situation but in a social situation it's not right.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm completely addicted to my Droid. TOTALLY. And I will continue to be.