One of my favorites - Slow-Cooked Buffalo Pulled Chicken

Options

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    Op thanks for the recipe! Sounds delicious and super easy.

I so wish to have a crock pot, if anybody has an idea where I can get one not too expensive/ in a budget, let me know!

Try checking your local Craigslist. I've seen them on there for as low as $10. Thrift stores are also great, they always seem to have one or two.

Of course craiglist! I totally forgot about that, thanks again ;)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just to be clear, most crockpot recipes will advocate extended, 6-8 hour cooking times, regardless if that timing is actually necessary. Reason being, crockpot cooking recipes are typically designed for the 9-5 worker who want dinner ready when they come home. That does not however mean that you actually need to cook everything you put in them for 6-8 hours, nor does it mean that you even need to use a "crockpot" for braising. A simple cheap pot with a tight fitting lid will do the same job.

Lastly, 2-3 hours is definitely enough time for chicken, even bone in chicken, at about 275 F, braised in a liquid in a covered pot. The result will be fully cooked, fall apart tender chicken without being dry. A longer cooking time would result in drier meat, a higher gas or electric bill, and the chicken would have a poor texture, and possibly even be mushy.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Just to be clear, most crockpot recipes will advocate extended, 6-8 hour cooking times, regardless if that timing is actually necessary. Reason being, crockpot cooking recipes are typically designed for the 9-5 worker who want dinner ready when they come home. That does not however mean that you actually need to cook everything you put in them for 6-8 hours, nor does it mean that you even need to use a "crockpot" for braising. A simple cheap pot with a tight fitting lid will do the same job.

Lastly, 2-3 hours is definitely enough time for chicken, even bone in chicken, at about 275 F, braised in a liquid in a covered pot. The result will be fully cooked, fall apart tender chicken without being dry. A longer cooking time would result in drier meat, a higher gas or electric bill, and the chicken would have a poor texture, and possibly even be mushy.

Strange, considering I've made this recipe many times and my chicken always comes out great. It's also worth noting that I've had crock pot chicken which was cooked for 2 - 3 hours, as you advocate. I definitely prefer the former.

Further, I actually didn't post this so that people could debate it. If you don't like the recipe I posted, don't make it. It's really as simple as that. We're lucky enough to live in a free society where no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to cook your chicken for 6 - 8 hours.

The rest of us, however, are also free to do so. Ultimately it comes down to this: I like the way I make this recipe, and many other people seem to like it as well. Therefore, I'm going to keep making it this way. Again, if you don't like it, don't make it. I don't know how else to put it - it's not a hard concept to grasp.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Lol, there's no need to be so defensive.

Take care.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    New here and so happy to see trolls on recipe. Yay. Interwebs. I did save this recipe for another time. I love buffalo flavors, and love the ease of slow cookers. Thanks for posting! Recipes are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. ;)
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe.Love my slow cooker and plan to make this today...

Thanks for posting and Can't wait to have dinner!

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @OneHundredToLose, sounds delicious! Perhaps I will try it out.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options
    uowl0jvcmmhj.gif

Hey guys,

This discussion has been cleaned up a little to remove some off-topic commentary. Please recall the following community guidelines:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Regards,
    JustSomeEm

• OneHundredToLose
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    uowl0jvcmmhj.gif

Hey guys,

This discussion has been cleaned up a little to remove some off-topic commentary. Please recall the following community guidelines:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Regards,
    davis_em

All hail the glorious mods
  • PJ3937
    PJ3937 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thx for the recipe. I can't wait to make it for a friend who LOVES Frank's Hot Sauce. I think I will use dollar buns. I'm glad Davis_em posted reminder about comm guidelines. Its too bad people have to be rude and put their own recipe on top of yours. Thx. again. Blessings Pam
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Pam, I made this yesterday and it was delicious... Had in pita pockets with some romaine, onion and black olives. We used a mild wing sauce instead... Easy all the way around!
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This recipe sounds good. I love spicy buffalo but I will probably try using maybe half the bottle first due to budget constraints. I recently bought a bottle of Frank's because it was on sale so this is the perfect opportunity to use it. It is still in the 90's here so it will be good to use the slow cooker and not heat up the house. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! :) What do you think about using thighs instead of breasts?
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    isyvanek wrote: »
    This recipe sounds good. I love spicy buffalo but I will probably try using maybe half the bottle first due to budget constraints. I recently bought a bottle of Frank's because it was on sale so this is the perfect opportunity to use it. It is still in the 90's here so it will be good to use the slow cooker and not heat up the house. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! :) What do you think about using thighs instead of breasts?

I actually made a batch yesterday and used chicken leg quarters instead of breasts, and it still turned out great, so I'm sure thighs will work great as well. As for the Frank's, you can definitely do half a bottle. Just be sure to put some water in there as well so the chicken stays moist.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    canyoustayfordinner.com has a recipe for buffalo chicken eggrolls ....They are delicious

I've modified her recipe to make Thai peanut chicken and bbq chicken egg rolls too. You can also make wontons instead if you want more "bite sized" food.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I actually made a batch yesterday and used chicken leg quarters instead of breasts, and it still turned out great, so I'm sure thighs will work great as well. As for the Frank's, you can definitely do half a bottle. Just be sure to put some water in there as well so the chicken stays moist.

I try to keep a box of low sodium chicken stock in my fridge. I frequently use it instead of water in recipes like this. More flavor and not too many additional calories.

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Thanks for the additional info/update One! I will make note to up the water or to add low sodium broth as earl has suggested.

So many good recipes - so little time! ;)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Alternately, you can heavily season bone in, skin on chicken with a variety of spices, kosher salt, black pepper, fresh or dry herbs, fresh garlic, scallions etc. and add olive oil to marinate for a day.

Afterward, get a Dutch oven very hot and add some oil or bacon fat. When the oil is hot, sear the chicken skin side down. When golden brown, flip the chicken and toss in anything you have on hand that makes sense together for extra flavor, e.g. fresh herbs, tomato paste, hot sauce, bay leaves, vegetables, etc.

Add enough chicken stock to almost cover the chicken. Cover with a heavy, tight fitting lid and let braise in a 250-275 F oven for 2.5 to 3 hours.

That's really all that is needed. After cooking, the meat with be extremely flavorful and fall apart tender. 6-8 hours is overkill for chicken. That extended timing is more for something like beef brisket.

Sixxpoint---I was following your thread before the summer. Seeing as you are a chef--right? I enjoy your ideas. Wonderful recipes and techniques. I am a little concerned about the fat content on this version. I do something similar in a big covered frying pan on low heat braising the chicken slowly using it's skin to produce the fat needed to brown it. As for the OP--it's a good recipe, and I will try it with some modifications. I live in Italy, and crockpots aren't used much here.
  • sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Alternately, you can heavily season bone in, skin on chicken with a variety of spices, kosher salt, black pepper, fresh or dry herbs, fresh garlic, scallions etc. and add olive oil to marinate for a day.

Afterward, get a Dutch oven very hot and add some oil or bacon fat. When the oil is hot, sear the chicken skin side down. When golden brown, flip the chicken and toss in anything you have on hand that makes sense together for extra flavor, e.g. fresh herbs, tomato paste, hot sauce, bay leaves, vegetables, etc.

Add enough chicken stock to almost cover the chicken. Cover with a heavy, tight fitting lid and let braise in a 250-275 F oven for 2.5 to 3 hours.

That's really all that is needed. After cooking, the meat with be extremely flavorful and fall apart tender. 6-8 hours is overkill for chicken. That extended timing is more for something like beef brisket.

Sixxpoint---I was following your thread before the summer. Seeing as you are a chef--right? I enjoy your ideas. Wonderful recipes and techniques. I am a little concerned about the fat content on this version. I do something similar in a big covered frying pan on low heat braising the chicken slowly using it's skin to produce the fat needed to brown it. As for the OP--it's a good recipe, and I will try it with some modifications. I live in Italy, and crockpots aren't used much here.

My suggestion would be to check your daily dietary fat macro and see if you even come close to it. Chances are you do not, if you are eating healthy (whole foods vs. processed) and yet still scared of exceeding dietary fat.

0.40 to 0.45 grams dietary fat Per 1 lb. bodyweight is about the minimum of what you should be getting (as long as you're not obese).

Lastly, when you braise, much of the fat melts off into the stock Or liquid used to braise the meat. You're not eating all of that fat.
  • sleepycatmum
    sleepycatmum Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just threw all of the ingredients in the pot for tonight's dinner. Thanks for the recipe!
  • veronica_lain
    veronica_lain Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds soooo good :) thanks for sharing