Quesadillas without cheese, is there such a thing???

Options
SeanLives
SeanLives Posts: 17 Member
edited September 2015 in Recipes
I am looking for any ideas or recipes for making quesadillas without cheese.

I know, I know... Saying quesadilla without cheese is like saying peanut butter without peanuts...

Still there must be something out there... Right?

Thanks, you're awesome!

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I love black bean , salsa , sour cream but I add cheese wheather it be laughing cow or just regular ..I am sure it would taste good without it but I am a cheese lover so there is no way I would omit it :p
  • SeanLives
    Options
    @amyrebeccah Thx for asking. No I'm not vegan. Honestly I'm trying to lower my calorie and fat intake by adjusting foods that I love (and are quick and easy to make).

Any ideas? Thx.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Refried beans and meat.
  • SeanLives
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @ms_smartypants yes I heard that creamy beans like refried beans, black beans, avocado or even hummus works as a good substitute for cheese.

Thank you too @queenliz99 for the link.

You are the best!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    you're welcome ...I love the laughing cow wedges ...low calories and I think they are yummy ...one wedge of creamy white cheddar is 35 calories for a wedge (not too bad) ..Wishing you much success
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    In my world, the only thing I ever put on them is cheese, so no, there's no such thing as a quesadilla without cheese. :) lol
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You could also use a reduced fat cheese.

https://www.sargento.com/our-cheese/shredded-cheese/reduced-fat/sargento-shredded-reduced-fat-colby-jack-cheese
    • 90 calories per 28 grams
    • 7 g protein
    • 5 g fat
    • 2 g carbs

The minimum recommendation for dietary fat intake is approx. 0.40-0.45 grams per day. For a 160 lb. person, that equates to 64-72 grams of dietary fat per day as a minimum. I've noticed that most people on MFP don't hit their minimum on a regular basis unless they eat a lot of fast food/processed foods... and or the complete opposite, they have a very good, rational diet and are steadfast with their macros as a whole.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Or, if you like cheese, just use less of it with other ingredients to fill the quesadilla. :)
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    absolutely. they're called burritos :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    You could also use a reduced fat cheese.

https://www.sargento.com/our-cheese/shredded-cheese/reduced-fat/sargento-shredded-reduced-fat-colby-jack-cheese
    • 90 calories per 28 grams
    • 7 g protein
    • 5 g fat
    • 2 g carbs

The minimum recommendation for dietary fat intake is approx. 0.40-0.45 grams per day. For a 160 lb. person, that equates to 64-72 grams of dietary fat per day as a minimum. I've noticed that most people on MFP don't hit their minimum on a regular basis unless they eat a lot of fast food/processed foods... and or the complete opposite, they have a very good, rational diet and are steadfast with their macros as a whole.

To be honest, I used reduced fat cheddar for a while, and in things like tacos, where it's melted anyway, I couldn't really tell the difference between that and full fat. Just stopped buying it because I wasn't using that much of it anyway and everyone else uses regular cheddar.

Also I use extra sharp cheddar because it's stronger, so a little bit goes a long way.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be just a 'dilla, since queso is cheese?
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    E
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    When I make quesadillas for lunch so
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    Sometimes I just use less cheese,add a little fiesta salsa ranch and chicken to make a good tasting quesadilla even though I use less cheese

• tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Beanadillas!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My first thought is refried beans, too. I've got a lower-fat refried bean recipe.
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/4078/refried-beans.html

I might also add quark, low-fat Philadelphia or laughing cow cheese spread.

I'd use more salt, pepper, and garlic.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    The people above made great suggestions. The only thing I have to add is that when I use stronger tasting cheeses, I can easily use less of them. For example, if I put feta in an omelette, I use less than if I put Swiss or provolone or cheddar. A little feta goes a long way. Also, certain cheeses just have less calories and/or fat that others (mozzarella and feta have less fat and less calories than cheddar, for example)...so perhaps experiment with different types.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Good point, @MoiAussi93 . I find a hard cheese like Parmesan or Asiago goes a long way, too. They won't goo up like a nice cheddar or mozzarella though.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Good point, @MoiAussi93 . I find a hard cheese like Parmesan or Asiago goes a long way, too. They won't goo up like a nice cheddar or mozzarella though.

I love Asiago...haven't had that in a while. Thanks to you, I'm putting that on my shopping list for the end of the week!