Hello for N C

Options
Hello,
I'm Kelly. Been here before...but see lots of changes. The site was recommended by a friend so here I am.

I'm a full time nursing student, full time wife, full time caregiver to mom with dementia and work part time in an assisted living facility. Food has always been my comfort..my buddy. When no one else cared..Ben and Jerry were always there for me. I had lap band surgery and failed the band. I overate, threw up, band slipped..stomach migrated through band and up into my esophagus. You get the picture. A week in the hospital and near death from dehydration. So, all the weight I lost, came back and brought some friends. With my schedule food is whatever happens to be laying around. Stress is huge right now so I find myself seeking salty, sweet and savory foods (depending on the mood) constantly. There are days I don't eat and end up with bouts of hypoglycemia and major headaches. I'm on a roller coaster and must figure out how to get off.

Appreciate any suggestions. I'm not new to losing weight...only problem is losing weight doesn't work. I need to change my attitude..its not about getting skinny...its about being healthy to meet the demands of life right now and in the future and actually thrive while doing it. Looking forward to learning how to do this with the help of this site and others in the community. Have a great day wherever you are!

Replies

• maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly, Gosh you have been through a lot. I am a retired nurse and know the pressures of school are tremendous even compared to what I went through (old school) over 40 years ago! I worked in a general hospital,Psychiatric Facility, Developmental, did a few years of office and a few nursing homes that included assisted living and a bit of private duty and home care. My career covered pretty much everything except pediatrics.

I am no expert at any of this weight loss but would be happy to join you as a friend on here. You can get a handle on this and you've taken the first good step in reaching out and being transparently honest about your journey so far. Good for you! I have been a member for about 55 days and have benefited so much from many of the forum (Community) posts, gotten great encouragement and hope from success stories. I've also made some great friends that check in with me from time to time who really keep me on track! Wish you the very best on your journey.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kelly ........wishing you much success ...Feel free to add me ....Sorry you have so much on your plate I hope it calms down for you soon :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I read your story and it sounds like mine. I'm sorry your having a rough time. But your in the right place. Get yourself a food scale And start weighing all your foods. Being as accurate as possible will help for sure. Its going to come down to cico always. Once you get into this routine , it will start to become easier to resist comfort eating. I am now 135 lbs and have much success here using the calories in - calories out method.
    Best of luck to you !
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly, Welcome to MFP! :)
    You've been through a lot and I admire your strength. I think you know that your relationship with food needs to be addressed first and foremost. Food isn't the enemy but it isn't our friend either - that's what I had to learn before I started this. I had a problem with over-eating. The food made me happy but the after effects made me miserable. In the end, I had your attitude - I need to do this for my body and my health as they are the two most important things.

Stick with the MFP forum's. You'll find so much support, advice and information here. I have learnt so much on my short two weeks here and I have a healthier mind because of it. The rest will follow. Wishing you the best of luck!
  • preciousliam
    preciousliam Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey Kelly!... wishing you best of luck with your journey to a healthier you... you can add me. We can all use some motivation here