I just ate a slice of cake and I feel ashamed

Options
I caved now I feel really ashamed of myself :(

Replies

• kazredhead
    kazredhead Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you drove a Rolls Royce and had a flat tyre, would you go around and slash all of the others? No. Please don't beat yourself up. But do think about how you felt while you were eating it (was it really that nice?) and think about how you might avoid doing the same again. We have ALL done it - it is part of the journey. Weight loss is a journey, not a destination. x
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Did this put you over your calories for the day? It's important to allow for some treats in your calorie allowance and not look at any food as "bad". I doubt you're planning to avoid cake for the rest of your life so learn to take a smaller slice and fit it in your calories.
  • bridgetterice92
    Options
    I feel like having a little chest snack every now and then is ok!
    You can't constantly keep making yourself ignore a snack food because you'll go crazy!! Don't feel ashamed at all!!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you think cake is a bad food. But no food is inherently bad. Try to stop attaching morality to foods (i.e., stop thinking of foods as good or bad), and then you'll have nothing to feel ashamed of! Seriously, you can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Did the cake put you over your calories for the day? If so, log it, smile at how good it was and move on. If you're still under, log it, smile at how good it was, and move on, too. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. Treats are just fine every so often. Don't beat yourself up over it. I'm eating cake right now
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't feel ashamed, I hope you enjoyed it! Take a nice walk around the block, or do some little extra exercise to counter balance it.
    Cake is an extra treat that we don't need to eat every day, but if you decide that you do need to eat it sometimes, do it smart, eat a small piece, enjoy it as a special treat, and do something else later in the day - skip some other treat, take the stairs, walk further in the store or parking lot.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    There will never be a world in which you, the cake and the act of eating never ever collide. What's important is what you do now. Obsessing about that one stupid piece of cake doesn't fix anything. Feel all the first flush of negative emotions, then just as quickly let them go. Analyze the whole interaction as objectively and nonjudgementally as you can. Learn the lesson at the bottom of the empty plate! Maybe it was a brilliant but overdue treat that you want to do a better job of scheduling next time; maybe it was an ignominious lapse of unconsciously scarfing down stale cake! You'll only know for sure if you allow yourself to calmly think it through... Practice compassion with yourself in this & you'll be surprised at the results!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    It's just cake. It's not a moral failing. A few hundred unplanned extra calories only torpedo your weight-loss efforts if you let them be a reason to give up, or you let them become a pattern rather than an occasional exception. Please try to let it go, and simply get back on track right away.

I started with close to the same amount to lose as you, around 60 pounds in my case, back in April. Here in September, almost 40 pounds of that is gone. You better believe there have been occasional treats along the way, some of them definitely unplanned. Special occasions happen, celebrations happen, once in a while a slip with no fabulous justification also happens. It's OK.

If your current deficit isn't too extreme, and you feel like you have to do some kind of penance ( ;) ), just drop back 50 or 100 calories daily for a few days, and make it up. Or don't - it's probably no more than a day or two worth of normal deficit.

You can do this. Just stick with it, and be consistent (mostly).
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Was it tasty? The best cake you've had? If not, maybe you should have found a better piece to indulge. If it was, good for you. Savour the flavour. And move on. :)
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Success is rarely a straight line journey.

Only thing you cn control is the future. Be kind to yourself and let it go.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Was it someone else's cake? If not, I don't get why you would feel ashamed.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I feel like having a little chest snack every now and then is ok!
    You can't constantly keep making yourself ignore a snack food because you'll go crazy!! Don't feel ashamed at all!!

Ultimately it depends what the 'little snack' is on the chest. Not sure I'd call it a snack food though. . . .

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its just cake, hope it tasted nice. Beating yourself up over food is a waste of time, it will make very little difference. Log it and move on.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Was it someone else's cake? If not, I don't get why you would feel ashamed.

This.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some, lucky!