Muscle building advice?

Options
Shaun1564
Shaun1564 Posts: 17 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys, looking to build muscle; mainly in my torso as I have big enough legs as it is. Primarily biceps/ triceps / chest / shoulders - any exercises or routines that can be done at home with a set of dumbbells that you know?
Any sort of advice will be grand! Cheers

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    How much does your dumbell set go up to?

Get a pullup bar.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Shaun1564
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How much does your dumbell set go up to?

Get a pullup bar.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think it has roughly 9KG on it, it's a spare set which I'm currently using. I'm going to get a pull-up bar, any decent ones you know? Brands? That fit in any doorway? Cheers pal
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So 20lbs max. You'll probably easily out grow those. You'd then have to use leverage movements (like one hand pushups) to PROGRESSIVELY increase. There are lots of body weight exercises you can do that are free on youtube. Oh and you need a calorie surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Why the guys only comment? Women do lift too. We can bulk. Not sure about your logic..
  • Frulla_
    Frulla_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Women know how to build muscle too bud, but I suggest getting a gym membership if at all possible, you'll be done with those dumbbells very quickly as your strength builds. But if not at all possible look into isolation exercises to really target your areas in mind
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    20 lbs dumbells? That's not going to go real far for anything other than the slightest of accessory exercises. I don't think I use anything under 20 myself -- even all of my accessories are more than 20 lbs (and I'm a woman). If you're considering putting together a home gym: squat rack, olympic bar, bench, weights and pull up bar will take you far. You can do all the major lifts -- squat, deadlift, bench, ohp, etc. -- and a lot of accessories. You can pick up quite a few good deals on used stuff on craigslist. I personally like starting strength and 531 for programs.

If any home gym equipment or a gym membership is out of the question, look up body weight routines like the prison workout. But if you're really serious about building muscle/strength, look into a good home gym set up or a gym membership.
  • Shaun1564
    Options
    Why the guys only comment? Women do lift too. We can bulk. Not sure about your logic..
    Frulla_ wrote: »
    Women know how to build muscle too bud, but I suggest getting a gym membership if at all possible, you'll be done with those dumbbells very quickly as your strength builds. But if not at all possible look into isolation exercises to really target your areas in mind

Haha sorry about that, didn't even register it as offensive. My mistake :/ but thanks for the advice; didn't mean to offend anyone!!
    EDIT: changed the topic name.