eggs

Options
Love to eat eggs and like the whole egg but when i eat them it always makes my cholesterol go over what im allowed.
I do not have high cholesterol should I worry about eggs they are so good for protien

Replies

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs, I don't stress about my cholesterol don't even track it, I let my Dr do that and if he never says I need to watch it, than I will also track that.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg most mornings and my cholesterol went down 50 points at my last physical. I was eating more eggs than in the past, so eggs didn't cause a problem for me. I attribute the drop in cholesterol to losing weight and walking (not to eating more eggs).
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    There is no need to worry about eggs. They are a great, nutritious food source so chomp away. I ignore my cholesterol on MfP. I'm healthy and not worried so I get my eggs in ha ha!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    High cholesterol foods do not raise cholesterol (LDL, or triglyceries). It's excessive carbs that generally do this. I wouldn't worry.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    LOL! I'm typing this while eating 4 whole eggs fried with cheddar and salsa on top. Yumm...
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Eggs! Love em; I just made an egg salad with avocado and a wedge of laughing cow swiss and ate it on whole wheat crackers. Nom, nom, nom.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Love eggs, eat all the eggs.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    4-8 eggs a day. As healthy as ever.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every single day and my cholesterol is low.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate to have chickens, so I get super-fresh eggs with golden yolks. Eat eggs at least 4-5 days a week, and my cholesterol is fantastic.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    High cholesterol foods do not raise cholesterol (LDL, or triglyceries).

For most people. There are some who are hyperresponders to dietary cholesterol however.
    It's excessive carbs that generally do this.

No, just no.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Most people don't need to worry about dietary cholesterol. High cholesterol has a high genetic factor. If you're worried, talk to your doc and have your numbers done. I love eggs, eat 'em a lot. Having two right now! :smiley:
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I LOVE poached eggs. Really addictive. It's the only way I eat eggs. I avoid fried eggs like the plague.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    High cholesterol foods do not raise cholesterol (LDL, or triglyceries).

For most people. There are some who are hyperresponders to dietary cholesterol however.
    It's excessive carbs that generally do this.

No, just no.

I stand corrected. There are a minority of hyper-responders whose cholesterol levels will be affected by dietary cholesterol.

I suppose you are right. I should have reworded "It's excessive carbs that do this (raise LDL and triglycerides)". It is excessive carbs (usually in the form of starches like flour, rice and potatoes) that raise triglycerides and negatively impact the cholesterol ratio (by lowering HDL).

A low carb diet usually lowers triglycerides and raises HDL (often with improved HDL-P). LCHF will usually does not change LDL, or if it does it goes up by a small amount but the overall amount of vLDL generally decreases.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/24
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/carbs-against-cardio/
    http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=717451&wptouch_preview_theme=enabled
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol content in foods has about zero to do with what is in your arteries. The drug companies perpetuated a myth about 25 years ago and it is absolute horse pucky. If you don't exercise there is reason to be concerned...otherwise enjoy.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    hac125 wrote: »
    Eggs! Love em; I just made an egg salad with avocado and a wedge of laughing cow swiss and ate it on whole wheat crackers. Nom, nom, nom.

That sounds delicious.

To the OP, I find that if I eat eggs for breakfast, I don't overeat the rest of the day. It's a lot easier to stay on track. Just my experience.