Why Isn't my Body Changing?

Options
I've been on MFP for two months now. I started at 5'5 & 150 lbs. I ran a marathon last Fall, but since then had a binge filled, sedentary Winter.

In two months I've logged 91 miles run at a 9 mpm pace. I spent 5 weeks doing 30 Day Shred 6 times a week. I spent 1 week doing Ripped in 30. I overhauled my diet. Replaced all my white breads/ rice with whole grain wheat/brown. Added a lot more protein, whey shakes after working out. Replaced nachos at night with almonds. Didn't drink nearly as much wine/ beer. Measured everything with measuring cups. The first month I did not eat my exercise calories, this second month I did. (I do admit that I am very good with clean breakfasts and lunches, but dinner with my family is a little harder).

I have lost a total of 3 lbs. And NO inches. My clothes are still too tight, and I don't look any different.

What gives? I'm really frustrated.

ETA: I had my thyroid checked last fall for various other reasons... and that is normal.

Replies

• rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I am not a doctor. lol.... Just a lil disclaimer. But, I've read on here from some other mfpals that if you are already around your ideal weight, then your body will not lose any weight off of it. Not sure how accurate that is, but thought it was, at least, very interesting. Maybe something to research. 150 at 5'5" sounds around normal if I'm not mistaken. Good luck :)
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Try reducing your carbs to 100-150g a day. Doesn't work for everyone but works for me and a lot of others on my friend's list.
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been having a similar problem - I've been on MFP since December and have lost 10 lbs. I'm not unhappy about it, but I didn't think it would take THIS LONG.
    I've given my food diary to my nutritionist, who says that my eating is great and I work out a LOT. It's so frustrating and I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!
    What about sleep? Do you get enough? Are you super stressed? These things can totally eff up your weight loss plans as well.
    Anyway, just want you to know I'm here for you, don't give up - you're doing your body good no matter what!!!
    (and...if you figure it out - help a girl out, ok???)
    :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Try reducing your carbs to 100-150g a day. Doesn't work for everyone but works for me and a lot of others on my friend's list.

This.

You might also consider a trainer and some weight training.
  • kseier
    kseier Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i think maybe you need to switch it up. try add weight training into your regime and do some different cardio. take a fun new class. try some brand new foods. watch your sodium intake and drink lots of water. i know of a lot of great supplements to jump start your metabolism too. i'll add you and you can message me if you're interested. sometimes if you do the same workout and eat the same nubmer of calories for a long period of time, your body will get used to it and stop losing weight. just break it up!
  • cullenbweber
    Options
    Your BMI is about 24.9 which is in the normal range, albeit on the upper end. What could be happening however is that your body may be increasing muscle mass and losing fat at the same time. You mentioned that you've been doing some home strength training exercises and that you were sedentary most of the winter. Your muscle probably atrophied over the winter as your fat increased. Your first month of exercise generally just prepares your body for some physiological changes and adaptations to your new activities. I believe if you continue with your efforts another while longer you should begin to see the results that you desire.

As a small side note, increasing your muscle mass is a good thing. While muscle is heavier than fat, additional body muscle increases your metabolism, helping to increase your metabolic rate. As long as you're doing 12-15 or more reps of whatever strength training exercises you're doing you'll just see muscle tone and not a bulky look. So based on all that I'd say you're doing great and don't worry, the weight will come.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Try changing things up.....different exercises and maybe increase your calories. I know for me and I'm now at 148 lbs that I had a plateau for a few weeks and upped my calories from 1200 to 1390 and believe it or not, I started losing again. I lost 1.6 lbs in my firstt week of eating more!! Your body gets used to the same exercise routines and same calories every day. Keep things fresh, try different exercises, jogging in place, dancing, walking, exercise dvds, etc. You can do it:)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Yeah I heard this...when you are close to your goal weight reduce your carbs to get the weight moving a little more.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Maybe try tracking your sodium and upping your water.

Also, something important to remember, muscle does NOT weight more than fat, it is more dense than fat so it takes up less space. Don't buy the bull crap "muscle weighs more than fat" BS people try and feed around here.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", also a distance runner, started at around 140 (was down to 136 when I joined MFP). I'm now 117, the dream weight and body shape that I never thought I'd see again in my lifetime. I saw a posting on here about how it's 80% diet, 20% working out, and I cannot agree with that more. Sure, 140 is in the "normal" range, but it's the largest I'd ever been, and I felt sluggish, uncomfortable, large, and had low energy; if you're not feeling it at 150, then that is not your ideal weight. Here's how the weight flew off me at about 1.75 lbs/wk, even though I had it set for 1 lb/wk and I logged *everything* religiously:

-I cut out all sugars, even honey and other natural sweeteners, except fruit. You don't have to be as draconian about it, but I recommend taking a look at what of your regularly eaten foods has sugar in it and make the call whether that sugar is worth it there or whether you'd rather have it elsewhere (e.g. the Kashi cereal and the bread products). You could try cutting it out for a week or two just to see what happens. It's not easy, but it's worth it, imho. You can always add it back in increments.

-I eat a TON of vegetables, two vegetables at lunch & dinner if possible (I don't always, but I try)

-I agree with everyone about the low carbs. Whole grains are good (although the quick peek at your journal revealed that what you are eating are not true whole grains), but I still don't go overboard on them. To give an example of my carb intake, I eat 1/2-1 c. steel cut oatmeal with 1/2 banana cooked in for breakfast, maybe one piece of dense whole grain bread (Mestemacher's Fitness Bread) with my lunch salad, and a sweet potato for dinner each day.

-I don't add much to my food because I've tried to reorient my taste buds to enjoy the natural flavors. I've learned to use the minimal amounts necessary to provide flavor, and I do enjoy my food more.

-Like it is with protein, approaching the recommended fat amounts is also important. I try to do this through natural fats like avocados, olives, and walnuts. I do eat a lot of Greek yogurt and cheese, though -small amounts at a time, and always full fat.

-Yes, switch up the routine. I started swimming a lot, doing sprint intervals, running up hills, trail running, jumping rope, etc. Marathon training can get us into a single speed plod, which is fun, but your body adapts to it and your burn fewer calories. I recently bought a heart rate monitor to get more accurate calorie counts and to add a new element to my runs.

-Keep informing yourself and learning about healthy food prep, and develop strategies to make it fit into a busy lifestyle.

Obviously everyone has to find his/her own way and what works for his/her body type. I'm just sharing my own tactics in case they can help you. Good luck!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great advice from The Laser:

-Buy a food scale and use it. You will be astounded how much more accurate it is than measuring cups/spoons! And it's absolutely essential for things like meats. With only 15 pounds to lose, you need to log VERY accurately.

-With so little to lose, I hope that you have your goals set to lose either .5lbs per week or 1lb per week, as the 2lb per week goal is not intended for folks who are within a healthy BMI range. Again, with deficits that small, accurate logging becomes very important.

-How are you tracking your exercise calories? I find MFP grossly overestimates calories burned while running. I always go by the rule of thumb that you burn 100 calories per mile, which is frequently less than half of what MFP tells me I've burned.

-Are you doing any resistance training at all? Weight training? You really should consider it if you aren't. Not only will it improve your running by balancing out your muscle development, it will help to prevent injuries, too. I personally find yoga to be a great complement to running as well, as it helps to keep you more limber and balance out the tightness in your hips that you inevitably get as a runner.

But anyway, steady -state cardio, like running, is not a great way to lose those last few pounds if you have been running for awhile.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I was in your exact place last october. I'm 5'5" and was 152 lbs. I'd been training with a personal trainer for nine months, running between 5-15 miles a week, working as a server 50 hours a week and I ate low glycemic (so all whole grains, low starches and lean meats) but boy did i love my champagne! It wasn't that I was drinking a ton, but most nights, after a long shift on my feet I'd reward myself with a glass or two. Then once a week my husband and I would have a little more than that (I sound like a totaly alcoholic) In November i was planning on running a 10k with my uncle, and in corresponding with him and getting all the details I mentioned the slow (well, stop) in my weight loss(at this point I was down to around 140). For a little background my uncle is a dr. and professor. He works and teaches at UCSF and is on the board for the center of disease control here in the states. He's also a marathoner...over 20 so far. So, he's educated in fitness and over all health. His wife is a dietician and nutritionalist at UCSF also. You'd think I'd have contacted them sooner, but my stubborness stopped me. Beth explained that over all, calories in vs. calories out is a very good way of going about it. She said whole grains are great and lean meats so you're getting the most amount of protein with less calories. Lots of fruits and veggies and low fat dairy are great, just to stay under on your calories in. BUT when it comes to alcohol your body doesn't quite respond the same way. Alcohol is absorbed differently and makes your body absorb the food you've eaten differently. It's tricky and I'm not an expert in this, but she encouraged me to cut way back on the alcohol...

So, 6 weeks ago my husband and I made a pack to get down to our ideal weight. I'm training for the "urbanathlon" in SF in November. so, my workouts are getting more intense and I'm just tired of not liking what I see in the mirror. We cut out all processed foods (completely) Our diet consists of raw almonds, fruit and low starch veggies (no potatoes) very lean meats (chicken, eggs, fish, shrimp and about twice a month a filet mignon) the only diary we're eating is fat free cottage cheese (I don't recommend this to everyone, but if you do choose to cut out dairy, please take a calcium suppliment) and the only grains we're eating are quinoa and millet. I've replaced all pasta, rice, etc with equal parts quinoa and millet (steamed in water) We're strict strict all week then on Sundays we let loose... And, for the first time in my life, I don't feel guilty eating something naughty. It's like I've been freed. I can't remember the last time I ate something bad and didn't feel guilty. But that first sunday after a remarkable week, I had an omlette with cheese and actually enjoyed it before during and after. The only alcohol I have is also sundays. You'd be surprised how little you can eat after eating clean for a week. The first sunday I started out with a mimosa and pizza. I had one glass and one slice and was full. Then I craved some carrots and fruit to balance it out. It was amazing!

So, six weeks later I'm down to 128 lbs. and I feel absolutely amazing! It's definitely taken some discipline, but I feel so great and have tons of energy...once you get into a habit of not allowing yourself to cheat at all during the week (not even a little bit) it seems to keep one on track. If I say, "I'm only goign to have a couple fries, or chips or 1/2 a slice of pizza" it turns into a basket or 3-4 slices...

I'd encourage you to try it... I may be just the boost your body needs
  • alb_photog
    alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU so much for all of this great info. I need to study everything that was written here and try to apply some new tactics.

Again, I appreciate it.... I also agree that my body is used to cardio, and I do need to introduce heavier lifting.
  • alb_photog
    alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think I found my weight loss issue. I wore my Heart Rate Monitor to accurately measure my calories burned today. I am amazed at the difference between what MFP says I would have burned (500 c's) vs what I did burn (305). So, my weight loss issue is that I thought I was burning more, thus I was eating more, and probably really "maintaining" weight.
  • grimnir
    grimnir Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Also, there are millions of people who are mildly intolerant of glutein and don't know it. Try cutting wheat and barley (beer) out of your diet for a couple weeks without ANY cheating, it might make a big difference for you. My mom's mildly allergic to wheat, she lost a bunch of weight and gained back a lot of brain function after kicking it to the curb, even without other changes.