ajgordo150 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When you first start did you lose then gain or did continue to lose
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    ajgordo150 wrote: »
    When you first start did you lose then gain or did continue to lose
    I never regained any of my weight until I started doing bulking cycles. In that case the weight gain was purposeful and controlled.

• Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your honest response on carb cycling. It's good to know that you were still able to lean out so well without carb cycling. As for the foam rolling my time is pretty limited at the gym, so I think I'll pass. Take care now!

For what it's worth I strategically roll areas that I know will bother me in the lifts I'm doing that day. I pretty much roll > warmup reps > heavy reps then walk out of the gym. I then make it a point to do static stretches throughout the day during spare minutes. I find the rolling to be more effective pre lift than static stretching and stretching can be done anywhere.

I'm doing a Modified 5x5 and usually am only in the gym for an hour total. Less on DL days.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    What did you set your calories at when you started MFP?(.5,1,1.5,or 2)
    Do you feel they are a healthy amount?
    I started July 8 at 281 and set it for 2 pounds which was 1290 and I felt hungry with that amount so after a few weeks changed it to 1.5 which gives me 1540 and I seem very satisfied with. I exercise 5x a week but right now only on elliptical due to knee issues.
    Can you give any suggestions for lifting with just hand weights? I have 3,5,8,10 and would like to try to incorporate them into my routine.
    As of today I'm 267 and looking forward to having my own transformation pictures one day.
    I agree with the many times I read you say I'd rather have loose skin and hide it under my clothes than stay this obese!
    Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me.

BTW your transformation is amazing!!!

I'm sure vismal will catch this question soon but I can add my opinion in the mean time.

If 1.5 works for you and you are comfortable there then go ahead and use it. 1200 is calories is fairly low and right about at the cutoff where mfp and most folks here will tell you to be careful. Most especially if you are exercising and not eating back your calories. Despite claims by some there's no reason at all to go hungry to lose weight.

The weights you have are not nearly enough for the typically recomended strength training. But given your knee injury you likely won't be squatting and dead lifting anyway for the time being anyway. They may aid in adding resistance to cardio or when/if you are able to light weights can supliment body weight and high intensity exercises that can make for a decent stand in for lifting heavy. The main draw back imo in the short run is the lack of a consistent metric to judge progression (like the weights and reps of strength training allow the measurement of progress) and the fact that like almost any other exercise than heavy barbell lifting it is relatively time consuming.

You have Mede great progress so far! Good luck on the rest of your journey.
  • Dimples1975
    Dimples1975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Vismal,
    Your results are amazing but more amazing is the sweet person that you are. You've taken so much time to answer all of our questions. Thank you...we've learned so much!!!

I am taking your advice about how to calculate calories and macros. Currently I weigh 169 lbs, at 5'1". Your videos were so helpful too. To be honest, I am a bit scared with the idea that I am going increase my calories. Nevertheless, as of yesterday, I adjusted my nutritional goals to reflect the IIFIYM approach. I went from only eating 1350 cal to now 1520 cal (101 g of protein; 50 g Fat). Do you feel that is appropriate? I will also be starting the IFC 5x5.

Again, thank you!
  • timetobefreefromfatprison
    timetobefreefromfatprison Posts: 3,548 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Drewlssix Thanks so much for your response.
    I stayed with the 1.5 and I'm now down to 259.5 and feeling a tiny bit better each day.
    Hoping as weight goes down knee issues will improve and I can add weight training. I have added just a few arm exercises because my arms are weak and some exercises with the 8 and 10 pounds are hard for me. I know pathetic but I'm a work in progress. :)
  • vismal
    Options
    What did you set your calories at when you started MFP?(.5,1,1.5,or 2)
    Do you feel they are a healthy amount?
    I started July 8 at 281 and set it for 2 pounds which was 1290 and I felt hungry with that amount so after a few weeks changed it to 1.5 which gives me 1540 and I seem very satisfied with. I exercise 5x a week but right now only on elliptical due to knee issues.
    Can you give any suggestions for lifting with just hand weights? I have 3,5,8,10 and would like to try to incorporate them into my routine.
    As of today I'm 267 and looking forward to having my own transformation pictures one day.
    I agree with the many times I read you say I'd rather have loose skin and hide it under my clothes than stay this obese!
    Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me.

BTW your transformation is amazing!!!
    I don't use the MFP rate of loss to set calories. I don't think it's very accurate. I use a TDEE method for determining how much you should eat. MFP's method require you to eat back exercise calories and it's estimation of the calories you burn is woefully off. I will link the video I made on how to determine calories/macros at the bottom of this reply. As far as a lifting routine, those dumbbells will be okay to start, but you will quickly outgrow them. There are a number of decent beginner dumbbell routines out there but to lift weights appropriately, you'll need to increase the weight as time goes on. For many lifts, you'll be past 10 lbs within weeks. Investing in more home equipment can be expensive vs a gym membership. Unless you have a pretty comprehensive home gym, you'll continuously need to buy more things. That's why for most people a gym membership is more cost effective.

• timetobefreefromfatprison
    Options
    Thanks!! The video was perfect!!! I feel I FINALLY get it!!!
    I think a gym membership will be in my near future.
    Appreciate your help. Have a nice weekend.
  • Sassyk35
    Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great Job very inspirational & informative I just discovered this app from one of my friends 9/3/15 I'm just a few days in. Definitely going to follow this post thank you
  • vismal
    Options
    Hi Vismal,
    Your results are amazing but more amazing is the sweet person that you are. You've taken so much time to answer all of our questions. Thank you...we've learned so much!!!

I am taking your advice about how to calculate calories and macros. Currently I weigh 169 lbs, at 5'1". Your videos were so helpful too. To be honest, I am a bit scared with the idea that I am going increase my calories. Nevertheless, as of yesterday, I adjusted my nutritional goals to reflect the IIFIYM approach. I went from only eating 1350 cal to now 1520 cal (101 g of protein; 50 g Fat). Do you feel that is appropriate? I will also be starting the IFC 5x5.

Again, thank you!
    Those number seem like a great starting point for you. Give them a go for a few weeks and adjust them based on your results.

• mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Quick ? I posted this is the main forums but didn't really get adequate responses : how important is it to meet your macro goals on rest days - I'm pretty good about staying within my daily calorie goal on rest days but sometimes do not meet my protein goals - is this a big deal if I am hitting all my macros on my wo days ? Thanks in advance ;)
  • vismal
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »
    Quick ? I posted this is the main forums but didn't really get adequate responses : how important is it to meet your macro goals on rest days - I'm pretty good about staying within my daily calorie goal on rest days but sometimes do not meet my protein goals - is this a big deal if I am hitting all my macros on my wo days ? Thanks in advance ;)
    It's just as important to hit macros on rest days as it is to hit them on workout days. The body does much of its repair and muscle growth on rest days.

• mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks ;)
  • jrevis001
    jrevis001 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The body of a man and a woman is obviously different bit my question is how long were you obese? I have been this way since at least 6th grade and I'm now 27. Loose skin or not I know this is the right path for me. I try not to be vein but it's kind of depressing thinking I'll never be able to wear a bikini comfortably once the weight is gone because of loose skin. How did you get your skin to tighten with your shrinking size? So two questions really.
  • jrevis001
    jrevis001 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    But* grrr auto correct
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    so impressive.. good job... such wonderful incentive for us that are battling the weight demons
  • shelleypollock
    shelleypollock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ms_lindsay wrote: »
    Holy Amazing, congratulations! I do have a question. This week I started weight lifting 3 x a week ( i can't do anymore that that with my kids/schedule). I also run with a double stroller 3x a week, HIIT 2x week and Yoga a few times as well. I recently finished a program where my calories were quite low, I wasn't doing any weight training, just intense cardio, I have lost about 50lbs since having my kids and now I am down to the last 5-10lbs and also wanting to get stronger, biggest trouble spot is my low belly fat and loose skin. My confusion lies with how much I should actually be eating now that I am also doing weight training.

As of today my MFP is set to 1700 after using a calorie calculator on Scooby's workshop. This is more than I have been eating, but I am not sure if it's enough/too much? Just hoping for a little advice, Im pretty new to calorie counting and brand new to weight training = overwhelmed!

• twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Heya! I have a question for you. If you've already answered it from someone else, I'm sorry.
    My stats:
    33 female
    5'4
    166 lb
    Goal:135ish

When I started MFP, I was at around 180lbs. I've made it to 166. I weigh my food and measure portions. I'm at 1310 calories a day and 2lb/wk to lose setting. I tried messing with that and moved it to 1lb/wk and it gave me 1850 calories, something that is really high for me to eat. I felt way overstuffed and like I was overeating.
    I have been working out 6 days a week (right now I am doing Ripped in 30, about a 30 minute workout and it's 3 circuits of 3 minutes strength, 2 min cardio, 1 min abs) last week I started the C25K. However my scale is stuck at 166 and hasn't moved much in a couple of weeks. I also average over 10000 steps a day most days, so I am pretty active. Any advice? I can tell I'm building muscle, like my legs are more defined and my arms as well. Pants are also becoming too big. I just don't know what I need to do to get the scale moving again? Increase workout? Increase calories? Or?
    I don't really have access to a gym and sometimes my workout time is limited because I'm a mom on call all the time, so it can get interrupted.
    Thanks in advance!
  • vismal
    Options
    jrevis001 wrote: »
    The body of a man and a woman is obviously different bit my question is how long were you obese? I have been this way since at least 6th grade and I'm now 27. Loose skin or not I know this is the right path for me. I try not to be vein but it's kind of depressing thinking I'll never be able to wear a bikini comfortably once the weight is gone because of loose skin. How did you get your skin to tighten with your shrinking size? So two questions really.
    I was overweight pretty much from childhood. I didn't become obese until my 20's. There isn't really anything you can do to prevent loose skin. Lifting weights may help a little but you'll never build as much muscle as you will lose fat. Beyond the actual amount you need to lose, genetics and age are the two most important factors in determining how much loose skin you'll have and if it will get better over time.
    Heya! I have a question for you. If you've already answered it from someone else, I'm sorry.
    My stats:
    33 female
    5'4
    166 lb
    Goal:135ish

When I started MFP, I was at around 180lbs. I've made it to 166. I weigh my food and measure portions. I'm at 1310 calories a day and 2lb/wk to lose setting. I tried messing with that and moved it to 1lb/wk and it gave me 1850 calories, something that is really high for me to eat. I felt way overstuffed and like I was overeating.
    I have been working out 6 days a week (right now I am doing Ripped in 30, about a 30 minute workout and it's 3 circuits of 3 minutes strength, 2 min cardio, 1 min abs) last week I started the C25K. However my scale is stuck at 166 and hasn't moved much in a couple of weeks. I also average over 10000 steps a day most days, so I am pretty active. Any advice? I can tell I'm building muscle, like my legs are more defined and my arms as well. Pants are also becoming too big. I just don't know what I need to do to get the scale moving again? Increase workout? Increase calories? Or?
    I don't really have access to a gym and sometimes my workout time is limited because I'm a mom on call all the time, so it can get interrupted.
    Thanks in advance!
    I don't use the MFP recommended calorie or rate of loss. I prefer to set up my macros using this method:
    Doing it that way you would NOT eat back any exercise calories as they are accounted for already.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!