Need help forming a workout routine

Options
If this is the wrong area to post this I am extremely sorry.
In the next couple months I am hopefully going to be joining the Army and I'd like to get into good shape before I enlist. The goals I have are as follows:
Pushups:60
Situps:70
Chinups: 10
2 mile run: 13 minutes
5 mile run:37 minutes
Weight 165 or less

My current stats are:
Pushups: 30
Situps:
Chinups: 1-2
2 mile run: 20 minutes
5 Mile run: Unable
Weight: 190-200

I can go to a gym or do bodyweight exercises, I just don't really know where to start, if someone could please help me develop a plan I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you

Replies

• Frankielc333
    Frankielc333 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the army but this sounds like the exercises they do when you first start. After two years I have my associates degree in exercise science and personal training. First things first what are your goal regarding your health and fitness?
  • daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Since you're mostly looking at bodyweight exercises, I'd look at a program like You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. Should be able to find .PDFs of them online. They'll help you build up to your goals and you don't need a gym membership. For the cardio, just keep pushing at it.
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi Nick.. just like with Powerlifting, if you want to get better at something specific do it regularly. So if yu're focusing on pushups, situps, chin ups, short distance and longer distance running then do those movement patterns! Pushups, chest press and cable press will help with the pushups; chin ups, pull ups, lat pull downs with wide grip and with an underhand close grip will help with the chin ups; sit ups will help with the situps, and then a few 2 mile and a few 5 mile runs a week will do the trick!! Normally you'd want a balanced program but if they're your goals I'd practice those, especially if it's only for a short period of time!
  • NickSpivey
    NickSpivey Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm trying to get into overall good shape. I used those exercises as my reference exercises because the program I'm going into suggests them,
    Thank you daremightythings, I'll check those out
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I have no knowledge about army work-out's or how fit they require you to be to enlist but I think your routine is perfectly fine if you are looking to get fit and in good shape. No exercise you do is 'wrong', it all helps - I think it's brilliant that you will be adding cardio in for stamina too, this'll definitely be beneficial. Wishing you the best of luck!