Military Diet

Options
Hey, my name is Deziray I just started this app 3 days ago, I was wondering if anyone has done the military diet before???

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a silly diet, probably invented as a joke, which has nothing at all to do with the military and "works" because you eat very low calorie for 3 days. There's nothing magical about the combination of food, and as a good rule of thumb, you're best off avoiding any diets that have to rely on lying about a connection to the military to sell itself.
  • DezirayMichelleL
    DezirayMichelleL Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well I know it's not associated with the military just I've seen some good results on it. I know it's most definitely not a healthy diet but people do drop pounds on it though.

• Alatariel75
    Options
    Why would you direspect your body enough to try a diet that's not healthy? You only get one...
  • DezirayMichelleL
    Options
    True.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Its ridiculous. If you want to lose weight , all you need is a calorie deficit . no stupid vlcd needed
  • DezirayMichelleL
    Options
    I've been dieting for a week now and I have lossed 7lbs so good so far but was considering the military diet for faster results just was curious how others thought about it.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think you will find a lot of people on MFP are not on any diet. In fact, a lot of people are here because they are sick of diets and the weight loss industry trying to sell them some gimmick - which that have bought into a thousand times.

Weight loss = Calories in vs Calories out. CICO.

If you achieve that by following the "military diet" then that's great. Just remember that it is not the diet that worked, but simply that you reduced your calorie intake to below what your body needs to function in a day. That's it.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    You want to be faster than 7lbs in a week? you know that safe weight loss is 1-2lbs a week. I think you need to moderate your expectations.
  • DezirayMichelleL
    Options
    @amyrebeccah all I have been doing is eating 1200 calories or less drinking nothing but water and excercing and that's the healthy way and I lost 7lbs so am I doing something wrong?
  • DezirayMichelleL
    Options
    @amyrebeccah all I have been doing is eating 1200 calories or less drinking nothing but water and excercing and that's the healthy way and I lost 7lbs so am I doing something wrong?
    Probably not. What I'm saying is that your initial 7 pound loss was probably at least partially water. This is common when anyone significantly cuts back on their intake. You should worry only if it persists after the first couple of weeks. But if you are regularly losing 7 pounds a week then you need to raise your calorie intake, because that's not healthy. A drastic calorie deficit can cause nutrient deficiencies and even weaken your organs. You shouldn't be trying for 7 pounds a week and you definitely shouldn't be trying to get more than that. I know it sucks when you feel motivated and excited and you want the weight gone now, but a more measured loss is a safer thing to do.

Thank you, I know it's not healthy but is sure is exciting to see 7lbs loss in the first week I'm wanting to loose 65lbs and I feel like that will take a whole year at 1-2lbs a week , which I don't have a set time just looking forward to looking how I use to.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain it over night so can't expect to lose it overnight.
    Most vlcd back fire and ppl end up gaining everything back anyway.so its pointless and possibly harmful.
    Weight loss takes hard work and consistency. If you aren't willing to except the fact that it takes time, your weight loss process probably won't end successfully
  • DezirayMichelleL
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    You didn't gain it over night so can't expect to lose it overnight.
    Most vlcd back fire and ppl end up gaining everything back anyway.so its pointless and possibly harmful.
    Weight loss takes hard work and consistency. If you aren't willing to except the fact that it takes time, your weight loss process probably won't end successfully

The reality is everyone's body is different, what works for you might not work for me and how something effects you I'm a negative way might effect my body positively so its hard to base a decision on other people's views but I did ask thanks for your advice .
  • chosenmibhar
    chosenmibhar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Probably not. What I'm saying is that your initial 7 pound loss was probably at least partially water. This is common when anyone significantly cuts back on their intake. You should worry only if it persists after the first couple of weeks. But if you are regularly losing 7 pounds a week then you need to raise your calorie intake, because that's not healthy. A drastic calorie deficit can cause nutrient deficiencies and even weaken your organs. You shouldn't be trying for 7 pounds a week and you definitely shouldn't be trying to get more than that. I know it sucks when you feel motivated and excited and you want the weight gone now, but a more measured loss is a safer thing to do.

I have mixed feelings about this. As Deziray said, "everyone is different".

I am also on a 1200 calorie limit and I am eating healthier than I had in YEARS. Like for example; I don't eat junk like waffles, chips, cakes, cookies or ramen anymore. Those things have no nutritional value and I was eating several helpings of them a day! Shameful, I know. Now instead I eat protein cereal, egg sandwiches and grilled chicken with veggies and if I'm peckish, I eat another bowl of protein cereal. Real food with actual nutritional value with a daily multivitamin. My body thanks me.

Hey, Deziray, what type of exercises are you doing? I'm doing pilates with ankle weights for strength and toning. And the punching bag for cardio.
  • DezirayMichelleL
    Options

Hey, Deziray, what type of exercises are you doing? I'm doing pilates with ankle weights for strength and toning. And the punching bag for cardio.[/quote]

I do zumba fitness at least twice a day after each meal and the at 7pm I walk 2 miles
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey Deziray :) If you need any help feel free to friend me or inbox me, I'm happy to help & also a qualified weight loss coach & personal trainer.. free of charge obvi not as a client, I just know how confusing it is and was on the 'diet' rollercoaster for over 12 years before I realised the best way to actually lose weight and keep it off. It's a mine field and I don't blame you for wanting fast results but there's better ways :) x
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

So you are eating up to but sometimes less than 1200 calories per day and exercising on top (mentioned in another post) of that? Are you eating back some of these exercise calories? The reason people are saying it doesn't work isn't because you won't lose weight doing it. The reason is that on lower calorie diets, you need to pay particular attention to exactly what you are eating to ensure you are getting enough nutritional foods. What you are doing (if I am reading all this correctly) is not eating enough to fuel the workouts you are doing. The result is opposite of what you are hoping for. Your body will not have enough fuel for the workouts and you may begin to have problems with fatigue, hair loss, and eventually muscle wastage (your heart is also a muscle). Another possibility is that you will eventually begin losing control around foods and begin binging.

You are working very hard, and that is great that you are dedicated at this time. You are much better off to take some extra time, eat at a reasonable deficit, and fuel those workouts so that you are stronger and leaner. It may take a year, even longer, but you won't be miserable the entire way. The time will pass regardless, it is up to you to enjoy it while learning a new balanced lifestyle, or chasing fads which typically fail in the long run and set yourself up for a life of yo-yo dieting (possibly, of course).

Best of luck, whatever your choice.
  • DezirayMichelleL
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

So you are eating up to but sometimes less than 1200 calories per day and exercising on top (mentioned in another post) of that? Are you eating back some of these exercise calories? The reason people are saying it doesn't work isn't because you won't lose weight doing it. The reason is that on lower calorie diets, you need to pay particular attention to exactly what you are eating to ensure you are getting enough nutritional foods. What you are doing (if I am reading all this correctly) is not eating enough to fuel the workouts you are doing. The result is opposite of what you are hoping for. Your body will not have enough fuel for the workouts and you may begin to have problems with fatigue, hair loss, and eventually muscle wastage (your heart is also a muscle). Another possibility is that you will eventually begin losing control around foods and begin binging.

You are working very hard, and that is great that you are dedicated at this time. You are much better off to take some extra time, eat at a reasonable deficit, and fuel those workouts so that you are stronger and leaner. It may take a year, even longer, but you won't be miserable the entire way. The time will pass regardless, it is up to you to enjoy it while learning a new balanced lifestyle, or chasing fads which typically fail in the long run and set yourself up for a life of yo-yo dieting (possibly, of course).

Thanks that's where I'm confused at if I eat 1200 calories or less when I work out I work off the calories so I need to make sure 8 eat 1200 and keep in my system?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Thanks that's where I'm confused at if I eat 1200 calories or less when I work out I work off the calories so I need to make sure 8 eat 1200 and keep in my system?

When you hear people say 'eat less than you burn' this includes the energy you would burn just being alive. Most people would burn between 1200-1500 calories per day while in a coma (there are exceptions of course). So your daily intake should be above this so that you are supporting at minimum the needed calories for body functioning.

MFP is designed for you to eat back the exercise calories burned to keep you in a nutritionally healthy goal range. Honestly, MFP tends to overestimate calorie burns, so many suggest eating about 50% of the calories back. So, if your goal is 1200, and you burn 400 from exercise, you should eat 1400 that particular day. It also helps cover you for logging inaccuracies. Does that make sense?

There are some great threads which cover logging accurately (digital food scale, weigh all solids and semi solids, particularly calorie dense stuff such as peanut butter, use a measuring cup for liquids). If you haven't seen them, here are a few:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10082029/help-17-day-weightwatchers-fast-metabolism-dash-or-what/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The first post is most valuable in each of these threads, except the one which asks about the different diets, read through the responses. There are several stickied threads at the beginning of each forum section for additional reading.

At the end of the day, it is your health, your life, your body. You need to make the choices which are right for you, but please take some time to do a bit of reading and consider learning from those who have been there.
  • DezirayMichelleL
    Options

When you hear people say 'eat less than you burn' this includes the energy you would burn just being alive. Most people would burn between 1200-1500 calories per day while in a coma (there are exceptions of course). So your daily intake should be above this so that you are supporting at minimum the needed calories for body functioning.

MFP is designed for you to eat back the exercise calories burned to keep you in a nutritionally healthy goal range. Honestly, MFP tends to overestimate calorie burns, so many suggest eating about 50% of the calories back. So, if your goal is 1200, and you burn 400 from exercise, you should eat 1400 that particular day. It also helps cover you for logging inaccuracies. Does that make sense?

There are some great threads which cover logging accurately (digital food scale, weigh all solids and semi solids, particularly calorie dense stuff such as peanut butter, use a measuring cup for liquids). If you haven't seen them, here are a few:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10082029/help-17-day-weightwatchers-fast-metabolism-dash-or-what/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The first post is most valuable in each of these threads, except the one which asks about the different diets, read through the responses. There are several stickied threads at the beginning of each forum section for additional reading.

At the end of the day, it is your health, your life, your body. You need to make the choices which are right for you, but please take some time to do a bit of reading and consider learning from those who have been there.

Alrighty thank you so much for the info it will sure help me out
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any research on the military diet so if I'll try not to make great big assumptions. The name itself rings alarm bells for me "The Military Diet". This sort of suggests an extreme regime and implies extreme results. Every one knows that the 'Military' itself is a tough, tough job so this diet is already implicating that it's going to be difficult and will test you mentally and physically.

It took me a long time to learn that a 'lifestyle change' should absolutely NOT do the above ^^
    Of course it'll be a struggle - who doesn't find changing lifetime bad habits difficult?
    But you should not be physically and mentally pushed to your limit's to achieve what you want out of life.

Again, I haven't done my research. I have no idea what the military diet actually entails and how many calories you allow yourself per day, etc etc. But I just know, by the name alone, that this isn't something you can do for life. I'm sure it helps you drop a shedload of unwanted weight - but is this military regime something you're going to keep up forever and ever?

IMO - Eat at a deficit, exercise when you can and lose at a safe rate. Once you reach your goal weight, educate yourself on eating at maintenance and adjust your exercise routine depending on your new goal. It really doesn't have to be so shocking and extreme.