Splenda vs. Saccharin?

Options
I have heard terrible things about Saccharin.........is splenda better, and "ok" to have since it's a derivitive of actual sugar???

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I think splenda is the lesser of the evils when comparing sweet & low, and equal with splenda, but none of them are "good" for you.
    I use splenda myself, 2 packets in the coffee I am sipping as I type in fact...

Some will tell you to NEVER EVER have ANY of them, that they will KILL you, but really, ANYTHING will kill you in excess.

You could also try Stevia or Agave ...honey in tea, Sucanat instead of granulated white sugar, etc...
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i really like stevia personally
  • Amymhis
    Amymhis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've heard bad things about splenda but continue to use it. Splenda AKA-Sucralose is approximately 600 times as sweet as sucrose (table sugar), twice as sweet as saccharin, and 3.3 times as sweet as aspartame.Splenda isn't really digested, therefore our bodies don't digest calories, and in small doses it is probably OK for most people. Some people do report adverse affects to Splenda, but they may be allergic. There are many controversy reports by nutritionists and scientists/doctors who say that it is ok and that it is absolutely awful, toxic, and poison. In moderation everything is going to "probably" be ok. I have gone to a lecture where a doctor told us that microwaving your food creates toxins, making your stomach "swell" and slowly kills you. It depends on who you want to believe I suppose. Some health articles are just silly. But remember, moderation is going to be key.
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    there are arguments against all artificial sweeteners....here is my personal thoughts on the subject which are not based on fact, simply my beliefs :ohwell:

listening to gilda radner blame sweet n low back in the day for her cancer, whether fact or not, has made me leary of the pink package. the blue package (equal) scares me too but i'm for saving calories.

once "truvia" a plant based (again, i'm using my own words, somebody will come on here an correct me i'm sure) sweetener with 0 cal came out....i'm hooked. if i run out of truvia, i use real sugar lightly. :drinker:
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I use splenda and really like it. Its a little distrubing when you add it to tea and produces a cloud of dust when you dump it in. My father is a diabetic and his nutritionist recommends truvia never tried it but it might help.
  • GreenGablesJes
    Options
    i myself only prefer Truvia . it tastes better than any other "sugars" . You can find it in walmart .
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have heard terrible things about Saccharin.........is splenda better, and "ok" to have since it's a derivative of actual sugar???

Splenda IS NOT a derivative of Sugar...It is SUCRALOSE NOT SUCROSE. They gave it that name purposefully to FOOL People into believing it is a derivative of Sugar. Read scientific articles, not Wikipedia.
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Using Splenda causes me to have headaches. My best friend told me it has the same effect on her. ValueMe made a great suggestion. I would stay away from Splenda.
  • coltennis
    coltennis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Stevia is the only natural sugar substitute. I just use less sugar...16 calories in a teaspoon.