superfood salad

Options
I found a salad at Shaws supermarket the other day. It's delicious and oh-so-healthy. It's called the superfood salad and includes kale, blueberries, cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds and other power foods in a light vinaigrette dressing. I'm thinking other supermarkets may have a similar salad; Shaws operates in the northeastern USA (New England states). Has anyone found this salad elsewhere?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    kale is gross.

LOL

and you could probably make your own at a fraction of the cost.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    petuniatoo wrote: »
    I found a salad at Shaws supermarket the other day. It's delicious and oh-so-healthy. It's called the superfood salad and includes kale, blueberries, cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds and other power foods in a light vinaigrette dressing. I'm thinking other supermarkets may have a similar salad; Shaws operates in the northeastern USA (New England states). Has anyone found this salad elsewhere?

We picked some up on sale yesterday and it was delicious! I am in southeast Virginia and got it at the local Farm Fresh supermarket. I think the brand was called Taylor Farms, but it was sold by the pound in the deli section.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Power foods? Super foods? I happen to like most of the ingredients, although the combination seems dubious -- kale and blueberries? But what makes it super or power?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Power foods? Super foods? .... But what makes it super or power?

cause dr oz said so once? ;)

they are nutrient dense and as such, quite good for you.

kale is still gross.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Those pre made salads with walnuts, cranberries, vinaigrettes, etc end up being way too many calories for my liking. Give me a bowl of spinach and 6 oz of protein and call it a day.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Kale and bluberries? I stopped reading after this, why ruin the blueberries???
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    petuniatoo wrote: »
    It would be relatively easy to put together a salad like this. Buy the kale and toppings and switch the toppings.
    Here is a "super food" recipe based on the salad at Whole Foods:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/super-salad-adapted-from-whole-foods-superfood-salad-499087
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Make your own :) add more super foods too!
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    kale, blueberries, cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds.... it feels like a really good salad.
    You can make your own with some more healthy fruits and nuts. I use to eat fruits salad everyday in lunch and dinner. It is healthiest and good for muscle gain, along with the good supplements.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Kale and bluberries? I stopped reading after this, why ruin the blueberries???

I usually don't like Kale much at all, and my thinking was similar. But the combination was delicious! The one i got also had some thin shaved carrot, and the balance of earthy fatty tasting nuts and the sweeter stuff was great. The only complaint I could have was the vinaigrette was heavier than I would like.

We'll be working on our own version to make.

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If I were to make a "superfood" "megasalad" based on my data it would be the following:

Grilled asparagus
    Ruccola, swiss chards, red cabbage, mustard greens, beet greens, green onions
    Hot smoked salmon or tuna (canned)
    2 (not so) hard boiled eggs.
    (no seeds, no nuts, no fruits for me)

EVOO + lemon juice + S&P + spicy mustard as an emulsifier for the dressing + lemon skin grated + remainder of lemon minus seeds and pith chopped fine for fiber and zing!

I dare you to make a better salad. :wink: