Artichoke Recipes?

Options
Amers85
Amers85 Posts: 31 Member
I got 2 Artichokes in my Co-op produce basket today and have no idea what to do with them...any advice?

Replies

• rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    yump..... oops, I meant, bump. lol
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Go to allrecipes.com They have a feature where you can enter what ingredients you want to use and any you want to avaoid and will give you any recipes they have that fit what you're looking for.
  • Amers85
    Amers85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Go to allrecipes.com They have a feature where you can enter what ingredients you want to use and any you want to avaoid and will give you any recipes they have that fit what you're looking for.
    I love allrecipes.com but when I am trying something I have never eaten before I kind of like to get an idea from others with personal experience of their favorite recipes. Thanks though.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the traditional artichoke snack. You clip the sharp ends off. Trim the stem down really short. Steam in lightly salted water on the stove for about thirty to forty five minutes. (depending on size) Then you peel each piece of the artichoke off one at a time and dip into mayo (you can use light). Then you put the artichoke piece between you teeth and pull it through your teeth--stripping out all the soft part. (with the part closest to the heart toward you) When you have pulled all the pieces off, you are left with the PRIZE--the soft artichoke heart. Dip in the mayo and enjoy! Brings me back to the days when I used to live near Catroville California--the artichoke capital of the world. You are in for a treat. :glasses:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the traditional artichoke snack. You clip the sharp ends off. Trim the stem down really short. Steam in lightly salted water on the stove for about thirty minutes. Then you peel each piece of the artichoke off one at a time and dip into mayo (you can use light). Then you put the artichoke piece between you teeth and pull it through your teeth--stripping out all the soft part. (with the part closest to the heart toward you) When you have pulled all the pieces off, you are left with the PRIZE--the soft artichoke heart. Dip in the mayo and enjoy! Brings me back to the days when I used to live near Catroville California--the artichoke capital of the world. You are in for a treat. :glasses:

I live near there, too! Always LOVE artichokes! Also on top of the heart is the fuzzy stuff that is easily scraped away with a spoon when you get there, too. For bigger chokes, my hubby and I cut them in half, scrape out the fuzz and then steam them. If not, he is always too impatient and rips the top off first going straight for the heart which annoys me greatly!! You know they are ready to eat when you stick a fork or sharp knife into the base and it goes in easily - but don't over cook or it will be mushy!

My favorite dip is low fat mayo, fresh miced garlic, lemon juice and/or zest, and parmesan cheese! HEAVEN! Just make as much as you'll need. LOVE IT! Enjoy!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Susanswan---that sounds like an AMAZING dip. I nver tried anything except plain ol' mayo, but your recipe sounds like a MUST TRY! Thanks for mentioning the fuzzy part. I forgot to tell her about that. If the artichoke is really big, it can almost be like straw instead of the fuzzy stuff. Just, don't try to eat it! :sick:
    I lived in Monterey first and then in Santa Cruz. Where do you live?
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Susanswan---that sounds like an AMAZING dip. I nver tried anything except plain ol' mayo, but your recipe sounds like a MUST TRY! Thanks for mentioning the fuzzy part. I forgot to tell her about that. If the artichoke is really big, it can almost be like straw instead of the fuzzy stuff. Just, don't try to eat it! :sick:
    I lived in Monterey first and then in Santa Cruz. Where do you live?

I live in Campbell now. The other side of the hill! The strawberries are in now from Watsonville area, and just SO GOOD! I've been putting them in my oatmeal before I cook it and it is about like adding jam! Got my first local peaches, too! I love summer produce!
  • cm80123
    cm80123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I prepare and boil as other people mentioned. Then I cut them in four pieces and marinate in olive oil and vinegar in a baggie, add some garlic. Then I either put them under the broiler or grill them on the BBQ. I have been substituting the Oil and vinegar with some lite salad dressings and that is good too.