Tip: don't call it a 'diet'

Options
A 'diet' has an end date. Call it a 'lifestyle change'. Being healthy and getting fit is for life not just for a short while. Tell people that your not on a diet because your eating a salad. Tell them that your just being healthy and that a salad is all you need! If they think eating a salad at lunch is 'odd' and clearly because your 'on a diet' then they don't understand how to live life healthily and that you dont need a meal deal or sarnie and crisps every day to be eating 'normal'.

Replies

• kickstandup
    kickstandup Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow, it is like you read my profile! I could not agree more. People confuse "proper diet" with fad diets. Every new fad diet, diet or weight loss drug, or latest and greatest workout machine all have the disclaimer in small print: "With proper diet in exercise." That doesn't mean eating tofu and kale the rest of your life. It means you watch your portion control, stay active, and burn more calories than you put in your mouth. Simple math and common sense.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter what you call it if it works for you and you have an end plan. I dont need to eat salad to be healthy.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    It doesnt matter what you call it if it works for you and you have an end plan. I dont need to eat salad to be healthy.

Well, it doesn't matter what you call it, if you change the way you think about losing weight from something you do as a project that will be finished at one point to a way of life that supports being your best, healthy self.
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I agree!! I used to "diet" sure. I would lose weight...but then put it back on...so obviously dieting wasn't really working...now I am changing my lifestyle....does this mean I will never eat a cheeseburger again? No BUT I will make better choices as to when, how many and how often I eat them. My MIL always says..."you're doing so good on your diet" I truly want to reach over and smack her...although I NEVER would. But she along with others don't understand that I am not dieting....I'm choosing to live a healthier lifestyle
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It bugs me when people tell me or ask me if I'm on a diet, just because I don't want to gorge on donuts or cakes or pizza. I usually just reply, "no, it's just not in my plan today." People often still don't understand and look at me like I'm crazy, then continue to try and food rape me.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think people get caught up in semantics. It doesn't matter what you call it, it's how you live it. I find the term "lifestyle change" about as annoying as "weight loss journey".

I agree with the concept though. There's no point in being super restrictive with yourself and what you're eating and making extreme changes you can't stick with forever. Moderation and all that good stuff.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I think people get caught up in semantics. It doesn't matter what you call it, it's how you live it. I find the term "lifestyle change" about as annoying as "weight loss journey".

I agree with the concept though. There's no point in being super restrictive with yourself and what you're eating and making extreme changes you can't stick with forever. Moderation and all that good stuff.

Agree on the whole semantics part. When I talk about my diet I'm talking about my way of eating, my way of life, my lifestyle change. I'm using the term diet to simply describe what I'm eating daily.