Need help to stay focused!

Options
Hi there, I have a really bad habit of commitment. I always think there is a better plan out there for me. And everytime i start something new I allow myself to eat a whole lot of crap as I will start my "diet" tomorrow. Yet I can only last a week, as the diet is normally way too restrictive. What to do it the correct way, allow myself to eat treats and generally eat well, but for some reason I can never stick to it!! Feel really overwhelmed right now as the weight keeps on going up and up and up!! Scared i will never be able to stick to anything. Any advice or support would be great. Thanks

Replies

• notsofatbird67
    notsofatbird67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I feel bit overwhelmed too cos at beginning of school hols I had about a stone to lose and now have managed to put on over half a stone more again so now have weeks of watching what I eat to try and get weight down. Plus my son made a fab chocolate cake for me yesterday and how do I now tell him I can't eat it. But can't keep saying the diet will start tomorrow. Wish I had some great ideas on how to do this but I guess u just need to find the will power from somewhere and think of it lifestyle change not a diet. I have used fitness pal quite a few times and found it works but obviously not longterm cos I keep putting weight back on again. Wish I had a magic wand!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Is a good start.

It helps if you plan, it helps if your plan is one you cna live with that suits you, as well as being simple and easy to follow. You cna follow all differnet types of plan but what they are all focused on is creating a deficit over time so you lose weight.

If you read up and have everything ready then you will need to come to terms with why you are doing it and whether you wnat it badly enough that you are prepared to be at a consistent deficit by eating less and moving more for a sustained period of time.

Start with small steps, learning to weigh, learning to log, 10 min walk and build on this focusing on one day at a time then a week then 2 weeks etc. Results will start to motivate you when you realise you are being effective.

If you are at a consistent calorific defict you will lose. You cna lose your weight within 1 year at c 1lb a week, which isnt too hard gloing and just amounts to eating 2 fewer chocolate bars a day or an hours reasonable exercise. Dont burn out by being too aggressive and try to be patient and realistic. Also be friends with and support yourself.
  • julestar777
    julestar777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i would really like that magic wand too. Just keep watching the scales go up and up. Haven't had a lot of success with anything as i don't stick with it enough. Great work at sticking with it! I just want to commit to sticking with MFP until the end of the year and see what happens!
  • notsofatbird67
    notsofatbird67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great post 999tiger very wise words. Will check out link. I think taking it one day at a time is good suggestion cos thinking of bigger picture seems too overwhelming. I have lost weight and put it back on too many times. Would really like to keep it off this time!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I think your reason for your 'falling off the wagon' is your restrictive 'diets' :)

There are many, many plans out there that, whilst I'm sure help you lose weight FAST, aren't realistic or healthy for the body AND the mind. I've probably done most of them myself so I am all too familiar with the 'I'll start tomorrow' attitude and giving up after a week.

All I can say is stick to MFP. Log your calories and eat a realistic amount. Dropping your calories too low will most likely cause serious hunger binges, not to mention bad moods. I started off at 1200 (the lowest that is considered healthy) and felt absolutely awful. After upping my calories to 1500 per day, I am still losing weight and I feel so much better. I know I will absolutely NOT fail this too because it's sustainable and I feel fantastic.

I hope this helps :)
  • julestar777
    Options
    That's great advice and love the link. Thanks
  • julestar777
    Options
    Thanks Pinkpixie. I really truly hope this time I will stick to it. I have think having this community is great for advice and support.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    It helps if you look at the forums and see the same issues come up repeatedly and the solutions are always the same. Jule as you know sticking it for longer than a week is a problem, then why not draw yourself a plan up for 2 weeks and commit to just surviving that extra week, which will be new territory for you. Treat that as your sole diet and see how far you cna get. You cna then make another plan once you get to 2 weeks. At some stage you will need to commit and be prepared mentally to do what it takes. If you cnat then you have to ask yourself how much you really wnat it if you arent prepared to eat a bit less and move a bit more.
  • julestar777
    Options
    Yup that's so true. I love exercise but also binge on sugar. I think MFP makes you accountable maybe that is why I always shy away from it?
  • 999tigger
    edited September 2015
    Options
    All you need are some slight adjustments to get you at a consistent manageable sustainable deficit. Logging your food will help you understand what you choose to consume and whether its more or less than your body needs. Obviously you are consuming more and the consequence is weight increase. If you commit abd get your head in the right place then you will realise you can make change and lose weight guaranteed by eating less. There should be no shame in taking responsibility for what you eat.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

There are many, many plans out there that, whilst I'm sure help you lose weight FAST, aren't realistic or healthy for the body AND the mind.

A very important point IMO. You have to find something that you can wrap your head around, and that you mentally accept as something that is within your grasp and a good decision for YOU.

• julestar777
    Options
    Yes that's a great point. What I find hard is on the other plans I.e keto/low carb, I feel so good but I just can't maintain. Thanks for all your advice really appreciate it.