Big eater

Options
I'm a really big eater, with my black hole of a stomach being capable of downing 2 large whole hami melons in a single sitting ....

This capacity is extremely troubling when I have the urge to binge after a rough day

What can be done to control a big eater ? ><

Replies

• bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Eat less.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What's a hami melon?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You prefer high volume? I'm a volume eater as well. Basically I don't eat much grains, I double my veggies and get a good 6 0z of protein instead. I use lower fat options because I can eat more for less calories (yogurt, cheese, etc). Search volumetric recipes. I just finished off a bowl of peanut butter protein fluff with chocolate chips for less than 200 calories. It literally takes up an entire mixing bowl.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    Eat less.

Yep
  • Yogamat316
    Yogamat316 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can out-eat most of the men I know. Part of it's a mental solution (tell myself to staaaahp eeeeating!), and part of it is planning (so I know exactly what I'm going to eat and only prepare as much as I need), and part of it is eating a boat-load of veggies, which are very, very filling.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yogamat316 wrote: »
    I can out-eat most of the men I know. Part of it's a mental solution (tell myself to staaaahp eeeeating!), and part of it is planning (so I know exactly what I'm going to eat and only prepare as much as I need), and part of it is eating a boat-load of veggies, which are very, very filling.

I second the buttload of veggies.

Oh you said boat load
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    anamibell wrote: »
    I'm a really big eater, with my black hole of a stomach being capable of downing 2 large whole hami melons in a single sitting ....

This capacity is extremely troubling when I have the urge to binge after a rough day

What can be done to control a big eater ? ><

@anamibell I know the feeling. Last year at age 63 and with health failing fast I finally quit foods containing sugars and grains by going off them cold turkey after failing to taper off of them trying for 60 days.

That was one year ago and still no cravings or urges to binge. Actually I ate three eggs, three pieces of bacon and three cups of coffee with 2 ounces of heavy whipping cream each about 6 hours ago and still feel stuff. A year ago I could have eaten a large pizza and be hungry by now.

Yes the first two weeks were hellish but worthwhile to start regaining my health and manage my pain by diet only. One side effect was after 6 months my 40 year case of IBS was healed and has not returned plus I am down 30 pounds on the scales and waist down from 44 inches to 38 inches.

We are all different and best of success to you as you learn your way forward.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You prefer high volume? I'm a volume eater as well. Basically I don't eat much grains, I double my veggies and get a good 6 0z of protein instead. I use lower fat options because I can eat more for less calories (yogurt, cheese, etc). Search volumetric recipes. I just finished off a bowl of peanut butter protein fluff with chocolate chips for less than 200 calories. It literally takes up an entire mixing bowl.

What is this and how do I get it into my mouth.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Get strict and eat less.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Eat massive bowls of red pepper and carrot. Sweet, filling and very low calorie.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I have an enormous appetite - I simply LOVE food, I enjoy food!
    That being said, my enormous appetite caused a 30lb weight gain that I certainly DID NOT love.

You have to make a choice - overeat and gain weight or moderate and be healthy :)
    Moderation is key.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-fluff-3-quick-and-easy-recipes.html

It freezes really well as lollies :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I identify with this. I just love to eat loads of actual stuff. Eating less for a while does have a slight effect in reducing how much I want (stomach shrinking back, maybe? Or just change of habits?) but I always want to just open up my cake hole and stuff it with things. There is probably some deep psychological reason for this but I'm not going there.

I'm chiming in with the veggies thing. I like veggies, I can easily increase the quantities. Where I fail is in correspondingly decreasing the carbs...
  • arditarose
    Options
    Cover your veggies in some chipotle hot sauce, mix in a laughing cow cheese to make a spicy creamy sauce....4-6 oz of lean protein. You have a huge portion of food for 400 calories that is creamy and cheesy.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I agree with the buttload of veggies + protein + fat=tummy satisfaction!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose, you'll have to learn moderation and have more self control. Once you're stomach is use to eating smaller portions, it will get easier.
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I deeply believed I had an abnormally big appetite, but it was all based on a misunderstanding - because I was force-fed as a child and never allowed to stop when I had enough, and never reflected on nutritional needs - I believed I had to feel stuffed to be full and that I couldn't tell the difference between starving and satisfied. It turns out I can. 18 months of concious portion control and assessing satiety with the "Hunger Scale" I now understand what a normal appetite is and that I have it.

I feel blessed now.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm not typically a volume eater, but occasionally have those "bottomless pit" kinda days. This summer, watermelon was my go-to snack...juicy, crisp, sweet, and very filling - what more could you want. Don't know what I'm going to do now that watermelon season is over :( I do love veggies and other fruits, but watermelon is the ultimate for me!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My default is to eat fast and lots. That is a recipe for disaster. So. I have replaced my breads and starches with a bushel of veg. I now love yellow turnip! It is so low cal and filling and sweet! I can fool myself into think I had a sweet with my meal! But seriously, you can eat volume if you choose carefully from fruit and vegetables. Apples now are one of my favorite now because they take a while to chew well!