What tips and tricks help you stay on track?

Options
I am new to the MFP community. I look forward to meeting new people who are here to reach their weight loss goals. Like many of you I am doing my best to stay positive and take weight loss one day at a time, breaking up my big goal into smaller more achievable goals, and striving for my personal best overall health. Sometimes it is hard to stay on track when life happens. I thought this discussion would be a great way to share tips for success. So, what helps you stay on track?

Replies

• carrjohn23
    carrjohn23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
  • heidio2
    heidio2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My fitbit along with MFP help me keep food & exercise goals in check. Good luck.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I usually prelog the day. Sometimes I get off track but I make sure I keep exercising as that helps me to put my not so successful days behind me. I also decided to stop drinking alcohol a week and a half ago and starting losing again and my "off" days are less out of control. I also get to eat more.
  • xupianpian1
    xupianpian1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can use the add reminders function in MFP to remind yourself everyday to log meals.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,146 Member
    Options
    carrjohn23 wrote: »
    Sometimes it is hard to stay on track when life happens. I thought this discussion would be a great way to share tips for success. So, what helps you stay on track?

When I started mid-Feb this year, I gave myself a time goal rather than a weight goal.

Instead of saying, "I want to lose 15 kg", I said, "I want to lose whatever I can on a net 1250 cal diet by mid-June.

I just had to stick with it for 4 months, which really isn't all that long.

As I got closer to mid-June, I realised I was on track to lose 15 kg, so that was kind of rattling around in the back of my mind too. And sure enough ... by mid-June I had lost 15 kg. :smiley:

Then I took a break for a month ... no logging, no eating restrictions, but lots of exercise. Interestingly, I actually ate reasonably well anyway ... it had become something of a habit.

But that little message when you close your food diary suggested I could be a weight I hadn't seen since about 2008 or so. :) So I picked up where I left off, and now I'm aiming for the end of September. I don't have a specific number in mind for then, just that when I reach the end of September, I'll see where I am and decide what I want to do next.

For me, time goals work because I don't have the mind-set that I'm going to be on a diet forever ... I'm just doing it for a relatively short time. And it's not so daunting. :) Meanwhile I'm making good food choices and picking up good habits along the way.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I will also add ...

One of the things I did early on was to go to a couple grocery stores, a fresh fruit and veg market, and an Asian market on a few occasions, and have a really good browse looking at labels and seeing what was available.

By doing that, I discovered several things which fit into my calorie limit, and taste really good.

There's a red lentil soup, for example, which has become my new lunchtime comfort food. There's a beef cannelloni we've found ... I had it a time or two for dinner while my husband had something else, but he liked the look of it, and now we both eat it. It's delicious! We have it with a side of veggies.

So rather than feeling deprived, and that this process is a hardship, I'm actually eating a wider variety of food than I used to eat, and I'm enjoying it. :grin:

So whenever I reach my goal, I can well imagine that I am going to continue to eat these foods.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I stay away from bread and baked goods which are my downfall. I make sure I have steelcut oats with a few raisins precooked in the refrigerator. That takes my mind off the allure of cinnamon buns and cookies. After about three weeks, I have lost the craving for the bread, etc. I know my weakness, but it's still a battle! Apples are my friend as well.
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi carrjohn love your two quotes, thanks for posting :) I just started small and slowly added new things or got rid of old habits one at a time that did not serve me well, and help me reach my best potential.
  • carrjohn23
    carrjohn23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips. Good advice for anyone reading these and needing some positive reinforcement and encouragement
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning my day the evening before definitely helps so, so much! :)
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Just be real. Own everything. The really awesome days, and the total crap days. And log into MFP as often as you can.
  • ShansGotGoals
    ShansGotGoals Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Well today was the right day to find this thread, as I am feeling really frustrated, depressed and unmotivated!! Thanks
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to think of it as a new way of eating and if you are consistent and log and weigh everything it just becomes a habit that is a part of your new routine. You will have "off" days where you will go way over your calories and sometimes you can plan for it and sometimes you won't and it will just happen. I think it's just not letting an "off" day become and "off" week- just get back on it the next day and let this be your new habit. I also found that over the past year I have made small changes over time- I didn't try to do it all at once- just little changes and when I got used to it I added something else small. I didn't even start weighing foods until I had been losing for about four months. I didn't start lifting weights until 4-5 months in and I just recently cut out diet soft drinks (I am now addicted to water). I've lost 46 pounds in a little over a year, and I'm less than 10 pounds from my goal but I might choose to stop in five pounds- depends on how I feel about it. I have hypothyroidism and I'm pre-menopausal so weight loss can be somewhat slow for me, but it does happen- I have a low calorie goal, but it motivates me to exercise so I can eat more. And I found an exercise that I really enjoy and can enjoy with my spouse- yesterday I hit a milestone and rode my recumbent trike 30 miles and I'm just going to keep setting higher goals. I don't have any immediate plans to stop logging once I reach my goal- and I plan to keep weighing weekly so I can maintain.

So you sound like you are on the right track with breaking up big goals into smaller ones and thinking of improving overall personal health. I found myself eating and craving healthier foods because 1) I can eat more quantities for less calories and 2) it just makes me feel better to eat better. Yes I eat junk food sometimes too, but I just enjoy healthier foods more now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    My one main tip: BE CONSISTENT. Inconsistency is the main downfall of weight loss for just about anyone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    1. I try to pre-log the day's food when I can.
    2. I use a weekly calorie goal instead of a weekly one. His allows a little more slack with what I can eat.
    3. If I know I'll be eating out (we do this once a week), I try to save some calories during the week so I can splurge a little when I eat out.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 I actually love your approach. I just charted my weight loss and it'll take me until some time next summer to get to goal... Seems like a long time. Maybe I should just trust the process, eat within calorie limit, exercise and see what happens by this time next year... Not a bad idea at all
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Machka9...What a brilliant way to look at goal setting for weight loss...Loved your post!!!
  • Machka9
    Options
    Thanks. :)

I just found it worked for me. After all, if I stick with it for 2 months or 4 months or whatever, I should lose some weight, and some is better than no weight. I figured that even if I just dropped a few kilograms in that time, that's better than nothing.

And then the fact that I was losing weight inspired me to stick to it and keep going. :grin: