Step tracking - still add exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One synced with MFP and I only track non step exercise like weight training and swimming. It works very well that way.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Only add non step like exercise (should be done through the tracker actually).
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Only add non step like exercise (should be done through the tracker actually).

i think so too.
    But my tracker ( misfit) i wear it while i swim
    So i dont log maually ( well 1 calorie lol to record that i exercised)

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I only log my non-step based activity (swimming). Let your tracker do the burn calculations for all step based activity like walking and running.

question about that one earlnabby

do you wear your activity tracker too when you are swimming?

I do my misfit and my polar watch. I log 1 calorie for my swimming manually. And the rest i let my Misfit run the numbers lol
    But what i do is in the misfit when the activity shows up i log that as swimming in the app. It gives me less btw than my polar watch ( i keep an excel data list for that atm to see how much difference there is between my hrm and the misfit flash)

Funny is my misfit is low in exercise...lower than my hrm HT7
    But the rest, so the end of the day calories burned seems so high to me.

For now the last 90 days data showed with the NEAT method and my polar watch was almost spot on.

Now with my misfit ( i want to go to TDEE soon) i am testing if those numbers turn out right too. So collecting data over a period of time again.
    See what happens.

But i find it high for sure
    Yesterday swimming according to my polar watch 317 calories. My misfit ended over 3014 daily burn..so that is with swimming and 17000 steps. A lot to me. But we will see in some weeks.

Yes, I wear it while swimming but I typically record less than 100 steps during the 75-80 minutes it takes me to swim my mile and a half (most of those are probably when I hit the wall and push off with my fitbit hand). I am absentminded so if I take it off to swim, I am likely to forget to put it back on. I do log the water aerobics even though I get about 2000 steps per class. That is the only thing my logging would override.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    mmm ok :)
    find it a bit hard to choose

For now it gave me 2262 steps for an hour swimming around 257 calories burned
    My polar watch gave me a burn of 255 calories lol

It is so close. i really dont know what to choose and go by. For now it is the misfit for some weeks but than i really have to make up my mind.
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's really helped clear things up for me. I haven't been logging runs because assumed MFP step tracker would be enough, and it's good to know it will adjust for intensity etc. will add swimming though. I take it a Fitbit is the most accurate way to see how you're burning, though?
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I think I complicate it, but I like to have my 10k step goal outside of any running, so I track my steps through pacer and then pause it when I go out for a run, and use mapmyrun for the run....
    Seems to work for me!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's really helped clear things up for me. I haven't been logging runs because assumed MFP step tracker would be enough, and it's good to know it will adjust for intensity etc. will add swimming though. I take it a Fitbit is the most accurate way to see how you're burning, though?

Fitbit (and other trackers) are more accurate than online calculators because they adjust for intensity. There are a lot of questions as to whether or not activity trackers with an HRM are accurate. HRM's that you strap to your chest supposedly are very accurate too.

• earlnabby
    edited September 2015
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    I think I complicate it, but I like to have my 10k step goal outside of any running, so I track my steps through pacer and then pause it when I go out for a run, and use mapmyrun for the run....
    Seems to work for me!

If you use Map My Run, the data from that will override any step tracker info so you really don't need to pause it if you don't want to. I found that the calorie burn from MMR is higher than that from a step tracker though, so some may need to adjust how many calories they eat back.

ETA: if it is working for you, that is the important thing!

• ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use a FitBit for tracking steps and only add in nonstep based exercise. FitBit has an app that I track my runs with just so I can keep track of my distance, speed, etc
  • gexking
    gexking Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Running steps have a different calorie burn than walking steps. But MFP doesn't differentiate with "steps". So, I think if you use "steps" on non-run days you would be more accurate. Of course it will be way to easy to forget to turn it off on run days. I have decided to just shut it off...log my runs.