Weights/muscle soreness

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
Im using the heaviest weights I can handle at the gym that allow me to keep form, and I'm repeating sets until I can't continue. When I start getting shaky and can't complete a lift, I stop for about 15secs and do another set, keeping that up until I feel that I can't do anymore while keeping decent form.

My question is...,while my muscles feel fatigued when I'm all finished, I don't really feel sore later on or the next day. I don't know if that's good or bad. Am I not doing enough? Should I be sore?

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Some people get sore, some people don't. There's no rhyme or reason for it.

If you like feeling the soreness, I've read that going slow on the eccentric movement results in more DOMS, so try slowing down the movement that lengthens the muscle. For example, lowering the weight slowly in a barbell curl.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    DOMS is not an indicator of how efficient or effective your workout was.

And why would you try to induce DOMS @rick_po?

Slow negs are a great tool to use in exercises lengthening the time under tension a muscle goes through. More time under tension ...more potential for dem gains :)
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    I do try to be conscious of not rushing through each rep, trying to keep it controlled throughout. Ok. I just didn't know if soreness was an indicator that I was working a muscle enough. :/
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I do try to be conscious of not rushing through each rep, trying to keep it controlled throughout. Ok. I just didn't know if soreness was an indicator that I was working a muscle enough. :/

Your progress will tell you how effective your workout is. Are you adding weight? are you able to do more reps at the same weight? Are you seeing changes?

Remember going to failure is a 'tool', it's not necessary each and every time you pick up a weight and should be used appropriately dependent on phase of training and your goals. Your rest time is also an important variable.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    I have added weight. I'm doing less reps (better on lower body than upper), but I thought I was starting to do too many at the weight I was at, hence moving up a bit. Definitely not failing right from the get-go though, so I'm assuming I'm on the right track.

Thanks for the input.
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try throwing some "21's" into your workout. They always make me sore :)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    As @Ironmaiden4life said, soreness is not an indication of a good workout. Most weeks I don't feel sore at all, bit tired but that's it. The only time I get a bit of soreness is if I change up accessory lifts or change a stance while doing some volume lifting (wide versus narrow stance on squats for example).
    But week in, week out, even though I'm increasing weight each week, no soreness to speak of.
    I will caveat the above statements that I'm following a strength program.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Squats, squats, squats and more squats.....
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I do an hour of weights, 6 days a week, and struggle to finish my last few reps of each set. The only time I feel sore is if I've just come back to the gym after a holiday. I guess your body just gets used to it.