macros-is it better to be under in fat or Carbs??

Options
domgibson88
domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys, I weigh 160 pounds and 5"3 I have been keeping within my calorie goal but am ALWAYS over in fat and way under in carbs and mostly meet my protien...What will an overage of fat and under carbs do for my weight loss??does it make a difference??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. If you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Matters not the slightest. Just stay at your calorie level and don't get lost in the details.
  • domgibson88
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of diet you're on. I do a low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet so I pay close attention to where I'm at with my macros. But other than that, I'd just pay attention to your calories.
  • domgibson88
    Options
    ntinkham88 wrote: »
    Depends on what kind of diet you're on. I do a low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet so I pay close attention to where I'm at with my macros. But other than that, I'd just pay attention to your calories.
    I see alot of people on here say high fat high protien..im not on a certain diet just want to eat healthy but I would think more fat Is better for you than high carb?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    As said above, if CICO is ok, macros won't directly affect weight loss. You don't say how much under/over you are on your macros? 5% or 50% ? If you're having trouble with hunger, satiety, binges, then i would suggest you look at your macro balance. I find it makes a diff for me. When I focus on eating lots of protein and minimizing (NOT ELIMINATING) my carbs, my macros stay in good balance.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ntinkham88 wrote: »
    I see alot of people on here say high fat high protien..im not on a certain diet just want to eat healthy but I would think more fat Is better for you than high carb?

Neither is inherently better or worse. Some diets are healthier than others, but unhealthy diets can be high fat or high carb (or high protein) and healthy diets can be high fat or high carb too.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I weigh 160 pounds and 5"3 I have been keeping within my calorie goal but am ALWAYS over in fat and way under in carbs and mostly meet my protien...What will an overage of fat and under carbs do for my weight loss??does it make a difference??

We are all different but in my case the more carbs I replace with fat in my diet the more my belly fat melts away.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Going over on fat is going to eat up more of your available calories (compared to going over on carbs or protein),
    so you will have to eat less of something else.

If you were to increase low-energy, high-nutrient, high-bulk foods (veggies, fruits, lean meats, legumes)
    you can eat more, be full longer, on the same calories.

But as long as CI < CO, you will lose weight.

Eat a balanced diet, don't cut out any food (unless you're allergic), and eat reasonable portions.
    If you feel better eating fewer carbs, aim for the lower end of the healthy range.
    What's the healthy range?
    Glad you asked... :grin:

Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

So for someone with a calorie goal of 2000 per day, that would be
    50% carbs, 1000 cal, 250 g
    25% fat, 500 cal, 56g
    25% protein, 500 cal, 125 g
    (just to take the simplest example as a starting point; adjust for your own needs, to see where you feel best).

If you wanted to go to extremes, the lowest carbs possible & highest possible remaining on carbs & protein...
    carbs 45% = 900 cal = 225 g
    fat 27% = 540 cal = 60 g
    protein 28% = 560 cal = 140 g
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info from other members. I've experimented with macros. I know this is not true for everyone, but for me it makes no difference in my weight at all. High carb/low carb -- same weight. I feel best when I eat about 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat, so that's what I eat and I've never been happier with my body and my performance in the gym.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Most of the advice I have gotten on here is to keep my protein higher then carbs and fats. I believe to lessen muscle loss while on a deficit.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Makes no difference!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    Most of the advice I have gotten on here is to keep my protein higher then carbs and fats. I believe to lessen muscle loss while on a deficit.

You can minimize muscle loss on a deficit by keeping protein at about .8-1 gram per lb of lean body mass. There's no proven benefit to higher.

For most that won't make protein higher than carbs and fats.

Generally moderate protein (like 25-35%) makes more sense than high protein, although for protein I'd focus more on total grams than percentage.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Unless you have a medical condition it's not harmful to eat high protein, but there is a ceiling for the benefits of protein, so too much in your diet can be costly on the wallet. Even lifting heavy or getting over surgery you don't need more than 1g per lb of lean mass.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When given a choice I always try to stay over on fat because I find it's more filling for me.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You can minimize muscle loss on a deficit by keeping protein at about .8-1 gram per lb of lean body mass. There's no proven benefit to higher.

For most that won't make protein higher than carbs and fats.

Generally moderate protein (like 25-35%) makes more sense than high protein, although for protein I'd focus more on total grams than percentage.

Thank you. LBM is 124. Yikes! I just adjusted my protein to 120 gms from 150. Now I'm P-40% F-30% C-30%.
    120 gm-40gms-90gms
  • domgibson88
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!lots of great advice!!!!i think ill stick to being ok with higher fat lower carbs..carbs are satisfying but doesnt keep me full for long