Should I eat back my exercise calories when maintaining?

Options
Hello-- I've hit my goal weight and I would like to maintain now. Should I eat back the calories I burn? For example-- MFP has me at 1420 to maintain (before exercise). So let's say I burn 300 working out. Should I be eating 1720?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories the same way you did while you were losing. After a few weeks, reevaluate your progress and adjust accordingly.

It'll take some trial & error to find the calories at which your weight will stabilize.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you don't you will still be in a calorie deficit and losing weight.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Some people eat them back daily, others bank them for a nice meal or two on the weekend and make sure they hit their weekly intake totals then.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It will take some trial and error to determine what works best for you. Good luck!
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You will have to experiment as others have said. Start by eating back half of your exercise calories and then adjust up or down. Good luck!
  • sijomial
    Options
    xtrain321 wrote: »
    You will have to experiment as others have said. Start by eating back half of your exercise calories and then adjust up or down. Good luck!

Doesn't actually make sense to deliberately under estimate when you are trying to maintain.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you don't you will still be in a calorie deficit and losing weight.

Exactly. If your total calorie intake is less than your total calorie output, you won't be in maintenance. Burn calories are a lot harder to calculate accurately than food calories, so follow the trial and error approach being advised in the other posts.

Congrats on hitting your weight goal!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    This might be a good time to calculate your TDEE and eat that instead of going with daily NEAT. If you are in maintenance, take 30 days of calories and divide it by 30. If you lost weight during that 30 day period, add 3500 for each pound lost. That will give you your TDEE. Adjust if necessary.

*just make sure you logged as accurately as is humanly possible for the 30 days you use. Might be a good thing to do going forward rather than looking backward.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    xtrain321 wrote: »

Doesn't actually make sense to deliberately under estimate when you are trying to maintain.

Oh, no -- I had a reason for this approach. "Calories burned" is just an estimate. Eating back half is a conservative approach to avoid gaining while she figures out how much she can actually eat. If she's still losing when she eats half of her exercise calories, she can eat more. If she gains while eating back half her exercise calories, she would want to eat back less of the exercise calories.

• jen73fit4life
    jen73fit4life Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    This might be a good time to calculate your TDEE and eat that instead of going with daily NEAT. If you are in maintenance, take 30 days of calories and divide it by 30. If you lost weight during that 30 day period, add 3500 for each pound lost. That will give you your TDEE. Adjust if necessary.

*just make sure you logged as accurately as is humanly possible for the 30 days you use. Might be a good thing to do going forward rather than looking backward.

I've calculated my TDEE and it states 1575. So technically if I burn 300 from exercise, I should eat around 1875 give or take a few?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jenpretlow wrote: »

I've calculated my TDEE and it states 1575. So technically if I burn 300 from exercise, I should eat around 1875 give or take a few?

Your TDEE includes your exercise burns, so if 1575 is actually your TDEE, you would eat to that calorie goal every day.

Anyone know a good thread that explains BMR, NEAT, TDEE?
  • jen73fit4life
    Options

Your TDEE includes your exercise burns, so if 1575 is actually your TDEE, you would eat to that calorie goal every day.

Anyone know a good thread that explains BMR, NEAT, TDEE?

So only eat 1575 regardless of exercise?
  • earlnabby
    edited September 2015
    Options

No. TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is your average calorie burn from all daily activity, including exercise. NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), which is MFP's default, calculates your calories burned for daily activities but expects you to add in exercise calories. NEAT works really well for weight loss and for people who are not regular exercisers. TDEE can be easier for maintenance and for those who have a regular exercise routine.

If MFP gave you 1575, that is your NEAT. If you burn an average of 300 calories daily from exercise, 1875 would be your TDEE
  • jen73fit4life
    Options

No. TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is your average calorie burn from all daily activity, including exercise. NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), which is MFP's default, calculates your calories burned for daily activities but expects you to add in exercise calories. NEAT works really well for weight loss and for people who are not regular exercisers. TDEE can be easier for maintenance and for those who have a regular exercise routine.

Oh okay that makes sense because when I calculated TDEE, it asked me how much I exercise :)
  • earlnabby
    Options

Oh okay that makes sense because when I calculated TDEE, it asked me how much I exercise :)

I don't trust online calculators much. Calculating your TDEE using your actual real life numbers is more accurate, as long as you are extremely accurate in your logging for the period of time you use in the calculations.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

What did you do to lose the weight? Did you include exercise or not? What was your average calorie intake? What was your weight loss?
    How you did that will help to figure out how to approach maintenance.
  • jen73fit4life
    Options

What did you do to lose the weight? Did you include exercise or not? What was your average calorie intake? What was your weight loss?

To lose weight I ate 1100-1200 a day and didn't eat back exercise. That's why I'm so confused on what to do now. I lost 22 pounds in 3 months but the first month I lost 10, then about 5 pounds the second month and 5 the third.

• sijomial
    Options

To lose weight I ate 1100-1200 a day and didn't eat back exercise. That's why I'm so confused on what to do now. I lost 22 pounds in 3 months but the first month I lost 10, then about 5 pounds the second month and 5 the third.

So roughly speaking (from your last month's weight loss) your maintenance could be around 1700 - 1800 (TDEE).
  • Malzbell
    Malzbell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It will take some trial and error to determine what works best for you. Good luck!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What did you do to lose the weight? Did you include exercise or not?
    What was your average calorie intake? What was your weight loss?

@jenpretlow A great summary in 4 simple questions from @3dogsrunning.
    I always refer people back to the http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
    There are a few stickied posts that might answer your question, especially the ones in the "Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets"

I agree with the concept that this will take some trial and error as stated by @editorgrrl, @Sabine_Stroehm, @xtrain321 and @earlnabby . Its a Science Experiment and you adjust your inputs as the outputs change until you achieve the desired goal/balance. B)