Goal Weight Help!

So, I am right at the last leg of my weight loss journey and I have originally set my goal weight at 115, which is right in the middle of my healthy weight zone for someone my height with my bone structure. Right now im 125 and I really would like to lose that last 10...but everyone around me has been telling me that I should stop and that I am getting "too" thin. I do not see it at all...but that is sort of the case with a lot of people with weight losss. I was wondering if anyone else had opinions on the matter. I am just under 5'4''.

Replies

• suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    I get the same comment as well. I am about 5' 2", but I weigh 140. People call me "tiny" and tell me that I shouldn't lose any more weight. Recently, when someone said that to me, I told her honestly that I haven't lost a pound in 2 months, and that I was just toning with all of the exercise I had been doing. She turned up her nose and scoffed. I've decided not to worry about other people. I know my BMI, and I know what my doctors and my physical therapist say I should weigh. I want to lose 10-15 pounds more. And I will do it...whether others want me to or not! You have to do what's right for you.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Not knowing you personally.....go for 5 and see how you feel.....and if you still don't feel or see it, go for the next 5.

I'm getting that from people right now too. 5'8" and 150. I want/need to lose 10 more. I'm going for 5 and maybe then the 10.

Best Wishes!
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    i am 5'3'' and i'm hoping (trying) to get to 135. I can't really imagine myself smaller than that b/c of the muscle tone i have gained through working out. I have an hourglass shape and will always have hips. my family is also full of women with big thighs.
    but ultimately, i want to get to a weight/size where I look at MYSELF and say 'yep! that's it...i look and feel proud/happy/satisfied with where I am!'
    everyone is different, and i really think you need to please YOURSELF. that being said, i PERSONALLY think that when you get to the point where your starting to look like a skeleton in a skin suit, you may have gone too far. looking at your picture, i think you look great. (pretty smile and great hair, btw!) how do you feel? do you think 125 will make you happy? why do you think you need to go another 10 pounds? just b/c that's what statistics say? i was talking to my 5'6'' friend who is thin as a rail and found out she is just 4 pounds lighter than i am!!! the numbers don't really mean anything once you get that close.
    it's up to you. good luck!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Go for it. I am 5'1" and I am going for 105. I am at 118 now, but I still feel like I want to loose more. As long as you stay in your healthy zone do it.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    i am 5'3'' and i'm hoping (trying) to get to 135. I can't really imagine myself smaller than that b/c of the muscle tone i have gained through working out. I have an hourglass shape and will always have hips. my family is also full of women with big thighs.
    but ultimately, i want to get to a weight/size where I look at MYSELF and say 'yep! that's it...i look and feel proud/happy/satisfied with where I am!'
    everyone is different, and i really think you need to please YOURSELF. that being said, i PERSONALLY think that when you get to the point where your starting to look like a skeleton in a skin suit, you may have gone too far. looking at your picture, i think you look great. (pretty smile and great hair, btw!) how do you feel? do you think 125 will make you happy? why do you think you need to go another 10 pounds? just b/c that's what statistics say? i was talking to my 5'6'' friend who is thin as a rail and found out she is just 4 pounds lighter than i am!!! the numbers don't really mean anything once you get that close.
    it's up to you. good luck!

I really dont feel comfortable at the weight I am now...but then again I really dont know what I really look like, so I figured the statistic may be a good place to go... I do have a lot of muscle tone, so I really should factor that in some i think...
  • Do what makes you happy.You wouldnt be underweight so what the big deal..If you feel you want to lose the 10 do it..People say that to me your not losing more weight are you i just say i will if i want to lol..im 5"2 5"3 ish and im at 107 rite now but im very small framed .id like to be at 104.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    I really believe that when you're getting so close to your goal, like you are, weight really becomes arbitrary. I'm guessing that what you really want is a certain look & feel, right? Weight goals are really more meaningful for those are quite overweight & it's just obvious that they need to lose weight. I'm guessing you're talking more about your look & feel.

If that's the case, you should shift your focus more to things like body fat %, sizes of your clothes, fitness goals like achieving certain physical challenges, or just how you look in the mirror. Frankly you can take one person at a given weight, even with the same bone structure, that doesn't have a good toned look (some call it "skinny fat"); and have another person at the same weight & bone structure that looks & feels much better because of a difference in muscle & fat (body composition) not weight.

My advice at this point would be to forget what the scale is telling you now because it's kinda meaningless, and try to integrate weights or resistance training into your routines more, and to use factors like those I listed above for your goals.

People may be saying you're already skinny, and they may be right, but you could be thinking you still are not quite at the look you want, even though that "look" may not actually require you to be any "skinnier", just more toned. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck - and yes, you look great now too! :smile:
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    I really believe that when you're getting so close to your goal, like you are, weight really becomes arbitrary. I'm guessing that what you really want is a certain look & feel, right? Weight goals are really more meaningful for those are quite overweight & it's just obvious that they need to lose weight. I'm guessing you're talking more about your look & feel.

If that's the case, you should shift your focus more to things like body fat %, sizes of your clothes, fitness goals like achieving certain physical challenges, or just how you look in the mirror. Frankly you can take one person at a given weight, even with the same bone structure, that doesn't have a good toned look (some call it "skinny fat"); and have another person at the same weight & bone structure that looks & feels much better because of a difference in muscle & fat (body composition) not weight.

My advice at this point would be to forget what the scale is telling you now because it's kinda meaningless, and try to integrate weights or resistance training into your routines more, and to use factors like those I listed above for your goals.

People may be saying you're already skinny, and they may be right, but you could be thinking you still are not quite at the look you want, even though that "look" may not actually require you to be any "skinnier", just more toned. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck - and yes, you look great now too! :smile:

thank you! :) and you do have a point about the skinny fat too... i do have a lot of muscle and people do tell me that too... so it may be the muscle weight thats really keeping me back. I should probably give up on the scale...