Running??

Options
I love running!! I ran a half marathon last year and and about to start training for one this fall. I stoped running for a few months due to a big move and lack of time. I have been running again for the past couple months. My issue is some nights on my runs I feel great and can bust out 4-6 miles and feel like I could keep going and I feel great during the run and after. Other nights I feel like I can hardly make it past a mile. Why is this happening? If anyone has any answers or suggestions feel free to let me know your opinions. Thanks

Replies

• handerso
    handerso Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm a massage therapist with lots of clients who are runners. They all say the same thing you do. One day they feel like they could run forever, the next day they are struggling the entire time. I'm not sure why this is, but I thought you would like to know you are not alone.
  • kjosey1
    kjosey1 Posts: 36
    Options
    I have no idea why this happens. I've been a runner for years now and have had the same experiences. I also ran my first half marathan a couple of months ago and when training, some days it felt like I was running on air, other days, I could barely make it a mile. I've often wondered the same thing. It probably has a lot to do with nutrition, time of day, soreness, recovery, dehydration....I'm sure all of this plays a part. Sometimes we just get tired and training can cause fatigue after a while. I just listen to my body and take a break if I feel I truly need it.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I notice this a lot with just exercise in general and not just when I try running. A few years ago I took a Muay Thai class and some nights I could spar to no end, other nights 1 round killed me.

While I get better work outs at night vs am/day, I think a lot of it has to do with what we've eaten (what fuel we are running on), hydration levels, etc.
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    How often are you running? I just read an articale that said you should only run a few days a week, a couple of shorter runs and one long one. I think the article was either on www.coolrunning.com or www.active.com. I get their posts on my FB page and they have great training plans for any race distance. I should be moving on to training for a 10K any day now...
  • bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    Yea, I think it's just a mental thing. It's just like anything else I suppose. Some days it's easy to bust it out, and some days it feels like it will take forever. There's no real rhyme or reason.
  • bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    Yea, I think it's just a mental thing. It's just like anything else I suppose. Some days it's easy to bust it out, and some days it feels like it will take forever. There's no real rhyme or reason.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Take a look at your nutrition when running long distances esp. after a long day at work, you need the proper fuel (food) and tools (running shoes) to make every run feel 100%. Im a runner and cyclist so its as simple as giving your body what it needs when it needs it during your day or try running when you first wake on almost a empty stomach just something small in there but not solid. Also you should only be running 3 - 4 days a week as stated before you have to give your body a rest and try to stay away from back to back long runs and run with a purpose dont just get out and run to be putting in time.

enjoy i hope that helps :)
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you have a training program already, but I found the article if anyone else is interested in training for a marathon. Here's the page: www.active.com/running/articles/A-Training-Schedule-for-Marathon-Beginners.htm?comp=17-1-717
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    OMG I'M NOT ALONE!
    i've been a runner for 5 years now. I ran cc in high school, and I've always noticed that. I feel like the more I think about working out before hand, the harder it is for me. IDK. It might be all mental. I've never really known why. One day I can hit the gym expecting to run like 2 miles and I end up running 6-- the next time I go in thinking ill run 4 and I wont even get to 2 without wanting to quit!
  • aadams05
    aadams05 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you advice and input. I am happy to know that I am not alone. I do take 2-3 rest days a week . I spend of one my work out days a week in the gym doing some cross training as well. I think maybe I am just pushing my body to hard though. After taking a break I should expect to breeze threw every work out and run.
  • beaches20004
    Options
    I love running!! I ran a half marathon last year and and about to start training for one this fall. I stoped running for a few months due to a big move and lack of time. I have been running again for the past couple months. My issue is some nights on my runs I feel great and can bust out 4-6 miles and feel like I could keep going and I feel great during the run and after. Other nights I feel like I can hardly make it past a mile. Why is this happening? If anyone has any answers or suggestions feel free to let me know your opinions. Thanks

Arthritis?
  • dd122436
    dd122436 Posts: 39
    Options
    I LOVE running too and I'm struggling with taking a rest day because I feel so much better after I run. I think the good run/bad run phenomenon is emotional/psychological as well as nutrition based. I've been playing around with different running "scenarios" I imagine I'm running a 10K or 5K race and I imagine who is on the side lines watching and cheering. It sounds a bit flaky but it truly motivates and on those days I run like a rockstar. I also run better when I'm angry and stressed about something and working it out during my run. On days I'm kind of bored and blah, my runs are boring and blah...That's when I fall back on some new imaginative scenario to egg myself on. try it! Its fun!
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've been playing around with different running "scenarios" I imagine I'm running a 10K or 5K race and I imagine who is on the side lines watching and cheering. It sounds a bit flaky but it truly motivates and on those days I run like a rockstar. I also run better when I'm angry and stressed about something and working it out during my run. On days I'm kind of bored and blah, my runs are boring and blah...That's when I fall back on some new imaginative scenario to egg myself on. try it! Its fun!

I do the same thing! Just today before I went out, I took a GOOD LOOK in the mirror at what I'm fighting to lose. When I was running and thinking about stopping, I went back to the image in the mirror. I ran longer than I thought I could. (I'm just starting running). I also like to "imagine" different outfits" I would wear. The ones I hope to buy in a few months. Both ways help to push through.

I think your right about moods too. When I have a lot on my mind, I can burn through. When I'm just in a comfortable/relaxed mode....I might as well be a slug! The game is mental just as much as physical.